This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can we get rid of tutorials in today's games?

#1SiegePosted 7/9/2011 1:22:03 AM
Why does every single game need a tutorial especially when they basically use the same control scheme? O is to duck. X is to jump. R1 is shoot. L1 is aim. Games aren't getting any more complicated and are actually getting shorter, so a lengthy tutorial is pretty unnecessary.
---
Causing drama for the moderators since December 2000.
#2xlr81212Posted 7/9/2011 1:24:28 AM
not every game is a shooter, you know.
---
PSN:xlr81212. Feel free to add me.
#3namethatno1usesPosted 7/9/2011 1:24:44 AM
I love tutorials, getting used to controls takes 10-20 minutes for me. I prefer games to start easy.
---
Flaeli! This is what they call "magic". - Rune Walsh, PSIV
#4KainnK19Posted 7/9/2011 1:26:48 AM
Every game is potentially someone's very first video game. Most of us have been playing for years, but there are new gamers every single day who need to build up their foundations. The control schemes so familiar to us are completely alien to them.
---
I was into the Playstation Move before it was cool to be - 7/13/2010
Does that sounds logic? It is NOT - TH3_SYN
#5arstosPosted 7/9/2011 1:30:50 AM
keep the tutorials, just make sure they're not mandatory lol
---
PSN: dragonlibrarian plays; SSFIITHDR, MVC2, AH3, Hard Corps, Moon Diver, X-Men Arcade, Castle Crashers. feel free to add me.
#6Siege(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2011 1:31:39 AM
Are you guys serious? My 4 year old son plays video games and can figure out how to move and duck and shoot just with trial and error. And no, not all games are shooters but most have weapons that shoot. I am playing Ratchet and Clank and guess what? L1 aims, R1 shoots, and X jumps. I would love to meet someone who has never played a single video game in their entire life.
---
Causing drama for the moderators since December 2000.
#7OnslaughtXPosted 7/9/2011 1:33:32 AM
Are you guys serious? My 4 year old son plays video games and can figure out how to move and duck and shoot just with trial and error. And no, not all games are shooters but most have weapons that shoot. I am playing Ratchet and Clank and guess what? L1 aims, R1 shoots, and X jumps. I would love to meet someone who has never played a single video game in their entire life.

There are controls, and there are mechanics. A good game will teach both in a relatively unobtrusive manner.
---
I'm pretty sure that Hideo confirmed that you don't argue MGS semantics with Onslaught. - Serazee - backloggery.com/main.php?user=onslaughtx
#8jubjub360Posted 7/9/2011 1:35:29 AM
Siege posted...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_babies_are_born_every_day_in_the_world

According to this: 490,000 a day. Then you gotta take into consideration how many years it takes for a child to understand the concept of a video game and how to play it.
#9BoulderPosted 7/9/2011 1:50:07 AM
Plus you have to include motion controls.
---
Now Playing: anything worth a look
#10CellSoundPosted 7/9/2011 2:51:01 AM
I completely agree. Unless of course there is an optional tutorial level.

Otherwise it is a distraction to the immersion of the game.