This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A question about imports.

#1Shy420Posted 7/10/2011 8:21:33 AM
This may have been answered already but I couldn't find info when I searched but when importing what is the difference between a "Japanese" and an "Asia" release, besides the obvious. It seems that the Asia import is always less expensive are there any gameplay differences? I imported Demon's Souls and there wasn't any difference aside from the English translation card.
---
"Things aren't different. Things are just things." -Wintermute
#2sockesockePosted 7/10/2011 8:23:01 AM
as far as i know asian has multiple languages but no added gameplay features.
---
http://backloggery.com/sockesocke
#3Mud_ChanPosted 7/10/2011 9:07:32 AM
Well, for Demon's Souls specifically, the menu texts were in English when you got the Asian version, though the manual was in Korean. The JP version was all Kana. They are both on the same server.

Usually it is just more language options for written text, and you will find English for some. Sadly if you were thinking of this for Dark Souls, only the JP will be released on 9/15, and all other regions on 10/4, though only menus/items matter since that game is all English audio anyways.
---
Demon's Souls/Dark Souls Stat and Weapon Calcs
http://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/
#4Shy420(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2011 2:57:15 PM
Okay, now why are the "Asia" releases always much cheaper?

Demon's Souls Asia release also came with an English translated sheet briefly explaining some features.
---
"Things aren't different. Things are just things." -Wintermute
#5CammyApplePosted 7/11/2011 3:01:43 PM
IIRC Asian versions contain a sheet explaining things in Chinese as well as having Chinese boxart.
#6archizzyPosted 7/11/2011 3:02:41 PM
While not cut and dry generally speaking when a game uses the term "Asian version" it really just means Chinese. Also while not cut and dry many Chinese games tend to have a better chance of having an English option (either subtitle or voiced)

While I have no proof of why my gut feeling is because of Hong Kong for so many years being a part of the British Empire and the strong British influences there though that may have nothing to do with it at all. That is just speculation.

As for why they are cheaper. I don't know. Never looked.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#7CammyApplePosted 7/11/2011 3:18:12 PM
The majority of what archizzy posted is correct. (pricing is lower to compete with the huge amount of piracy that takes place in China)