This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why the PSN pass is a GOOD thing, and people need to accept it

#111Shinobi120Posted 7/12/2011 9:10:00 AM
Hollow_Geass posted...
DLC from Activision = 15$ for 5 or more Maps. Developed AFTER release. And these are totally new additions.
DLC from NIS = 15$ for a whole new story mode developed outside of the original story. Basically a part 2.
DLC from Koei before DW7 = Free for 5 maps
DLC from Koei after DW7 = 5$ for a map & new character (most likely on the disc already)
DLC from EA = 10$ for unlocking 3 cars (already in the game)
DLC from Capcom = 10$ (?) for characters or costumes (already in the game)

Add to this with your own that you know of... Soon we'll have a list of trends some might find odd. The Bigger the company is the higher the DLC. But they all differ in what your actually getting for your $... Word in advanced, EA & Capcom are making bukku off DLC thats on the disc already.

Exactly why DLC is a ripoff & people that are defending this practice doesn't see it yet until it's too late.
#112EskiiPosted 7/12/2011 9:18:24 AM
Hollow_Geass posted...
DLC from Activision = 15$ for 5 or more Maps. Developed AFTER release. And these are totally new additions.
DLC from NIS = 15$ for a whole new story mode developed outside of the original story. Basically a part 2.
DLC from Koei before DW7 = Free for 5 maps
DLC from Koei after DW7 = 5$ for a map & new character (most likely on the disc already)
DLC from EA = 10$ for unlocking 3 cars (already in the game)
DLC from Capcom = 10$ (?) for characters or costumes (already in the game)

Add to this with your own that you know of... Soon we'll have a list of trends some might find odd. The Bigger the company is the higher the DLC. But they all differ in what your actually getting for your $... Word in advanced, EA & Capcom are making bukku off DLC thats on the disc already.

Epic games, not very well known company had to fight MS to give us 6 free maps.
Come gears of war 2 and epic have now become a big games company dishing out map packs with gears of war one maps for 15$ a pop.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/EskiLdn
#113otisanimePosted 7/12/2011 9:48:00 AM
Frankly, this whole "used games are $10 cheaper" thing people keep saying, I haven't noticed the existence of online passes having any real effect on the used prices of games positively or negatively. (Though, I don't buy used games from Gamestop, so whatever).

Used prices on ebay and Amazon are pretty much in line with what they've always been, though, so I'm getting zero "benefit" from this.
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, NFS Hot Pursuit, Resonance of Fate
#114craelonPosted 7/12/2011 10:47:05 AM
I haven't noticed the existence of online passes having any real effect on the used prices of games positively or negatively.

This is why I say the situation is neutral and why people are so afraid of the idea. Eventually, the situation will not be neutral as soon as the market adjusts to compensate for this big move. When that day comes, it will determine the lifespan of the entire gaming world. If publishers and retailers stop being so immature towards one another and actually start to work together in determining price for both new and used games then we'll see a brand new golden age of gaming.

But based on past examples of how the retailers and publishers treat each other we can pretty much assume the worse in this situation. We're all going to eventually be dropping down $100 on a used game to discourage us from buying it used and in doing so will screw over the retailers. Then the retailers will go out of business and there won't be anyone to sell the games to us anymore, new or used. Then the publishers will say, "Ops, we flubbed up!" and the video game industry will fall like the stock market in the 1920s.

The bright side of the bad side is the fact that devs will always be developing games, even for free (many do develop for free, just check Steam) so instead of killing the video game world outright, it might just send us back to the stone-age of gaming where everything is done by bedroom coders and distributed by local businesses. Could be fun, but you can kiss your awesome graphics and AAA games goodbye at that point.
---
I declare this post a VICTORY ( ^-^ )v
#115ziggyreedPosted 7/12/2011 11:15:18 AM(edited)
otisanime posted...
Frankly, this whole "used games are $10 cheaper" thing people keep saying, I haven't noticed the existence of online passes having any real effect on the used prices of games positively or negatively. (Though, I don't buy used games from Gamestop, so whatever).

Used prices on ebay and Amazon are pretty much in line with what they've always been, though, so I'm getting zero "benefit" from this.

The store near me has Homefront used for $25 and Mortal Kombat for $25. GT5 is $35. Homefront and MK both have online passes while GT5 does not. Those are good prices in my book.

Oh and I breezed through Ebay's MK games used. The average price was $40. So if you had to pay for the online pass your still $10 below the new price.

The highest used price on Amazon is $33. I don't see what the problem is.
#116TrixonePosted 7/12/2011 11:20:19 AM
Eh, all I know that I've always bought my games new (I actually support the devs); and thus won't have this problem. If you decide to cheap out and buy the game used but want to play online, you gotta pay for it baby. If not OH WELL, you're SOL.
---
PS3 60 RIP | Slim | Vaio VGN-FE | Deneb AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE OC'd
Playing: SSFIV:AE, DS - Samurai of Legend
#117shnoob2Posted 7/12/2011 3:27:09 PM
Garlandjr posted...
Quintious posted...
Been hashed a million times. The short answer is: You're wrong.

Motsu posted...
PSN pass benefits the consumer in no way whatsoever. All it does is restrict more and more.

This. Anyone who seriously justifies what Sony &/or other developers are doing really needs to have their heads examined (unless they want to be ripped off).

This.
---
"GET OFF MY PLANE!"- Han Solo in Airforce One
DLC and Online Passes = the downfall of video games.
#118spacejamjordanzPosted 7/12/2011 5:15:31 PM
shnoob2 posted...
SSJVegeta2003 posted...
Let me clarify a couple of things for the multiple console issue.

If they work like EA's online pass then you have nothing to worry about. The online pass is basically and unlock key, and it's tied into your account. You can re download it just like any game, or dlc on another console. Check your download history. I downloaded and activated my online pass for Hot Pursuit on my brother-in-law's PS3. It worked just fine.

Does this enable other accounts on the system(s) to play online? Then this doesn't help, nor is it relevant in any way to what everyone is complaining about in regard to this issue.

You can have your account registered on more than one PS3 at a time. He doesn't need to be signed into your account. As long as he doesn't delete your account from his console, then you are fine.
---
"Attack me if you dare. I will crush you." Ken Masters <Street Fighter II>