This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else going to "skip" next gen?

#1rubsnickPosted 7/10/2011 10:34:42 PM(edited)
I feel that graphics can't possibly get much better then what we have, maybe more AA, higher resolution, but overall style will be kept the same. If you catch my drift.... I just don't see gaming progressing in a positive manner. Why? Mostly because everyone is focusing on gimick that is Motion gaming.. I mean why the hell? It would be nice if it was true motion gaming, like that one sword game from the arcades a while back ago. But this motion gaming sucks, Oh lets replace a button with waggle, or lets have them do these incredibly over exaggerated motions that could have been done with a couple quick analog twitches. It's like nothing motion gaming has provided can't be done with a nice controller. I don't see the controller evolving any more buttons without it being ridiculous either.

So overall I mean there is a reason why this generation has outlasted the others, Developers are now just getting into their paces and developing some interesting games. But this gen has been pretty good. But I'm in fear for the future of gaming, I feel like the indie games better capture the spirit of what games truly where and are. Lately I've felt nickled and dimed by the developers announcing DLC before the game is even released, adding horse armor DLC or in general bad DRM practices. I just see this progressing next gen and in a ridiculously bad way. And While you say "No one is forcing you to buy them" I agree thats why I've yet to buy games with bad DLC practices or the very list paid very little for the game or got it used. There have been games that I've wanted to buy but I felt I should wait because of the DLC that I know will be coming with the eventual GOTY edition. Look at FallOut New Vegas... DLC is a given. So I'll just wait to pick up the GOTY edition.

Overall gaming isn't looking like it's going into a good direction for next gen with rumours of the PS4 having a kinect like camera, the Wii U looking like current gen with a damn overpriced controller (the WIi U is the Console version of the DS) and the Kinect being an overall Piece of crap when it comes down to deep games. Motion control has done nothing to make gameplay deeper, it's only proved to stunt gaming and it's creativity. Most of the best Wii games where done with traditional controls (MH3,Smash Bros etc.) Or could have been done with minor tweaks to accommodate a normal controller (Super Mario Galaxy)

But lets leave on a high note, some of the best things this gen? User creation, Little Big Planet!!!!!! It still gives me hopes that gaming might be going into a good move. A las lets hope for the best. But so far I"ll be skipping gaming next gen until I see it's going where I like it or not. Note: This is coming from a guy who owns every major console and upwards of 600 video games. I even own the 3DS.

Edit:I don't expect motion controls to take over but I'm of the subscriber to the fact that they are hurting game development and creativity of the core games. And moat anything that can be done with motion can be done with a controller.
---
sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me.
so throw me down and tie me up and show me that you like me! -rubsnickreviews.blogspot.com
#2desert_santaPosted 7/10/2011 10:13:20 PM
skip next gen? no

ditch consoles and become a handheld gamer? maybe
#3lambchipsPosted 7/10/2011 10:20:35 PM(edited)
i see motion controls as a good thing.. i would rather have motion controls than the same rehashed games (fps/tps and other games that feels the same)
^motion controls are only good if they are used correctly and not as a tacked on gimmick

alot of ds touchscreen only games are great
- the world ends with you
- ouendan
- rhythm heaven
- wizard of oz beyond the yellow brick road

then there are the touchscreeen+control pad games
- hotel dusk/last window
- jump ultimate stars
- inazuma eleven
- solatorobo

etc

console gaming has gotten stale and everything is more of the same (and i dont like this same... basically using huge explosions to sell the game)

i'll probably just stick to PC/handheld/phone gaming
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#4Botnus912Posted 7/10/2011 10:16:44 PM
I'll put it on hold until the next Kingdom Hearts game comes out for it
---
http://www.backloggery.com/Botnus
#5params7Posted 7/10/2011 10:17:02 PM
I kinda' skipped most of this gen. I have a huge backlog started from 2nd generation of titles that appeared this gen (AC2, UC2, RDR etc)..so no I'll be gaming like a true gamer next gen.
---
http://i35.tinypic.com/2qd27na.png
http://i53.tinypic.com/10zzbpg.gif
#6MickleohbPosted 7/10/2011 10:17:46 PM
Why would you already say you're going to skip next generation before we know anything about it (besides the Wii U)? But regardless, I disagree with you for several reasons:

1) graphics can still improve. Look at the differences between cutscenes and gameplay graphics, gameplay graphics can improve to look Pixar good. Also, multiplayer graphics can be also be improved.

2) Things other than graphics can be improved with more powerful tech, such as AI, more user creativity, and environmental destructibility.

3) The new games I will probably want to play will come out on next gen consoles. Why would I refuse to play them because they were just a little bit prettier?
---
"I've got half a mind to kill you...and the other half agrees" Church from RvB
PSN:Mickleohb GT:MickleohbLite
#7KingsofroninPosted 7/10/2011 10:18:03 PM
Well atleast you support the indies!

+10 approval points.
---
Visit my game dev blog for reviews, blogs and more!
http://www.canstdostgames.wordpress.com/
#8darkshadowmasterPosted 7/10/2011 10:18:36 PM
Since the wifey is pregnant I may not have a choice :\
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#9fourplusfivePosted 7/10/2011 10:18:39 PM
painting an entire gen with one brush accomplishes nothing, for all the terrible things you describe there are just as many awesome games this gen. Looking back I can't say there is any gen I would have been better off skipping as there were always games worth playing. Next gen will be no different, and believe me games will look and play better. I remember watching FFVIII's cutscenes and thinking that no game would ever look that good. It's really really easy to avoid all the stupid crap the industry throws at us and focus on whatever you like.
---
They're there in their room
#10rubsnick(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2011 10:21:24 PM
Mickleohb posted...
Why would you already say you're going to skip next generation before we know anything about it (besides the Wii U)? But regardless, I disagree with you for several reasons:

1) graphics can still improve. Look at the differences between cutscenes and gameplay graphics, gameplay graphics can improve to look Pixar good. Also, multiplayer graphics can be also be improved.

2) Things other than graphics can be improved with more powerful tech, such as AI, more user creativity, and environmental destructibility.

3) The new games I will probably want to play will come out on next gen consoles. Why would I refuse to play them because they were just a little bit prettier?

1.I for one can't really tell too much of a difference between scenes and gameplay anymore.
2.every gen we say this and it never comes true. It's a nice lie we tell ourselves isn't it?
3.I doubt any of the new games will he all that much fun especially with motion gimmick and bs.
---
sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me.
so throw me down and tie me up and show me that you like me! -rubsnickreviews.blogspot.com