This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your favorite game this gen (Semi Borderlands apprecation topic)

#1united_kirbyPosted 7/11/2011 5:42:26 AM
You can post about a game from every console (DS, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3).

Mine goes to Borderlands.

During all this time, owning a PSP, DS, Wii and PS3, I haven't played any game as much as Borderlands. This game is good for whatever you're doing. The looting, the killing, the style, it's all very fun. In most shooters, I get bored because there isn't a point with what you're doing. I lose interest in them if I played it too long. After a while, you're still only killing the enemy with the best weapon you have. In COD and Resistance that meant either a sniper, shotgun or a machine gun. But with Borderlands, you find new weapons, and every playthrough, you pick a different weapon to use, or the same, but with different stats (SSSMG FTW SniperShotgunSMG). So if you're done with one playthrough, a new playthrough can be just as fun, because you're doing it in a different way, because you got so many choice on how to play it.

Then there is the looting. I love looting. In every game. It's just that with normal looting games, I get bored because of the combat. You just press attack, and then you select your standard special attack and heal from time to time and then you get stronger, and so do the enemies, so, in my opinion, you don't get anywhere and it gets boring. Don't think I finished a game like that this gen, because I got bored with the repetitive gameplay. But in Borderlands, you're fully controlling your character as if you were playing COD. Different controls and different special moves allow to make every kill in the game at least somewhat different, and being really bad or really good makes a lot more difference. So the looting stays fun, because of the excellent combat. And all the chests you can find makes the non combat parts awesome too. In one of the DLC's (that only cost $20 extra, and are well-worth it, perfect example of DLC that's made how it was supposed to) there is a quest and if you complete it, there 18 chests that are all leveled (so you get good equipment) that all have the potential to have a weapon in there that is incredibly awesome.

And don't forget the multiplayer, because this gen, offline multiplayer has been very lacking. Borderlands however shows us that there still are great splitscreen games, and that they are still fun. If you have a good friend that likes to game too, you should play this game together, because I guarantee you'll have a great time. I've completed this game 3 times with a friend of mine, and we're still not bored. And you can also play this online, with 3 others, if you don't have gaming friends live near to you that you can meet every week or so.

Now I'd like to know what your favorite game is, and if you care to, explain why.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTRBjxBmUCY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALR93upHvLE
#2CthulhuDagonPosted 7/11/2011 5:45:38 AM
Upcoming Deus Ex; Human Revolution.

Why? Because Eidos Montreal obviously understands what made DX1 one of the best games of all time, IMO.
---
White line is in the middle of the road, that's the worst place to drive.
#3zooknutPosted 7/11/2011 5:45:57 AM
the bioshock series is my all time fav... and im headed to columbia next year
#4icedpotatoPosted 7/11/2011 5:48:54 AM
wat
---
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt99/Monohman12377/Iced.png
PSN: icedpotato
#5daveliciousPosted 7/11/2011 5:51:51 AM
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion (so far anyway).

I was originally not going to give the game even a glance... I remember my brother got Morrowind for his xbox and one of his friends came over and asked me how awesome I though it was. Having never played any ES games I lumped it into the RPG group which I was convinced was pure crap (thanks mostly to my experience with some rented ps1 JRPG's just to see what all the hype was about).

In any case, turns out I love WRPG's... it's just JRPG's that get on my nerves. I discovered this because in June 2006 I was desperate for a new game to play and Oblivion just had such good ratings. Long story short it quickly became my favorite game this gen. I've probably put more hours into that game than all other ps3 games combined.

It also opened me up to trying other WRPG's that I never would have given a chance to... I love the fallout games this gen, and I'm enjoying the Mass Effect series (gotta say though, not all WRPG's are gold... DA:O was a huge disappointment to me... forced myself to finish it before selling it back... and Two Worlds 2 seemed like it might have been on the right track, but still felt cheesy in some places, and unfinished in others).

In any case... can't wait for skyrim. I'm pretty certain it's going to take Oblivion's place for my favorite game this gen once it comes out.
---
PSN: Davelicious GT: Davelicious46
NEW SETUP: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee174/Davelicious406/DSC02294.jpg
#6united_kirby(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2011 5:55:59 AM
davelicious posted...
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion (so far anyway).

I was originally not going to give the game even a glance... I remember my brother got Morrowind for his xbox and one of his friends came over and asked me how awesome I though it was. Having never played any ES games I lumped it into the RPG group which I was convinced was pure crap (thanks mostly to my experience with some rented ps1 JRPG's just to see what all the hype was about).

In any case, turns out I love WRPG's... it's just JRPG's that get on my nerves. I discovered this because in June 2006 I was desperate for a new game to play and Oblivion just had such good ratings. Long story short it quickly became my favorite game this gen. I've probably put more hours into that game than all other ps3 games combined.

It also opened me up to trying other WRPG's that I never would have given a chance to... I love the fallout games this gen, and I'm enjoying the Mass Effect series (gotta say though, not all WRPG's are gold... DA:O was a huge disappointment to me... forced myself to finish it before selling it back... and Two Worlds 2 seemed like it might have been on the right track, but still felt cheesy in some places, and unfinished in others).

In any case... can't wait for skyrim. I'm pretty certain it's going to take Oblivion's place for my favorite game this gen once it comes out.

Ah yes, Oblivion and Fallout. Number 2 and 3 for me. Probably first if Borderlands didn't have multiplayer.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTRBjxBmUCY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALR93upHvLE
#7Da DoodPosted 7/11/2011 6:20:35 AM
My favorite so far is Super Mario Galaxy. The game is just magic. I played the whole thing with a stupid smile on my face.

If not Galaxy, then Arkham Asylum is up there. Masterpiece.
---
And this time!
#8striker1064Posted 7/11/2011 7:26:54 AM
This gen also has to be Borderlands for me. I've put about 50 hours into it, single player only. Haven't even tried multiplayer yet.

I'm also a big fan of Infamous 2.
---
PSN/Steam: striker1064
#9blunderminePosted 7/11/2011 7:34:32 AM
Probably braid