This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

anyone agree or disagree with this (regarding reviews and JRPGs today)

#1antoinejonesPosted 7/13/2011 3:25:24 PM
Well this is what another professional reviwer had to say in regards to WKC2 gamespot review (and just on how JRPG reviews as a whole are handled by reviewers today):

"Like I said before on the site, critics are now scoring JRPGs on an 8 scale rather than a 10 scale (unless it says "Final Fantasy" in the title).I'm sorry, but this is what they do.

In reading GameSpot's review - and in understanding what WKC2 is all about, and who it caters to - it's painfully obvious that the game is worthy of a higher score. But that just won't happen. And this bias against the genre (or sub-genre) by reviewers is part of the reason why JRPGs are dying.

Everyone knows, especially critics, that few actually read the text. They only care about the score. It's why Metacritic is a "means test" in the industry now."

So what are everyones thoughts on that? Would you say theres some truth to those statements?
---
My first time and day in Jueno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#2ZEEER0Posted 7/13/2011 3:26:49 PM
Knew this would be about WKC before even clicking on it.

Obviously, didn't read.

Have an enjoyable day.
#3AerosoldierPosted 7/13/2011 3:31:53 PM
JRPG are quite bad this gen, the best jrpg is Valkyria Chronicles which is a strategy jrpg, nier, sonata, wkc and others jrpg are ok at best but not awesome like ffx, persona 3, fes, 4, digital devil saga 1 & 2, Nocturne, Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy or any other awesome jrpg from ps2.

Let's hope we get Tales of graces f or xilia or vesperia coz those games look extremelly good.
---
Oh Hypocrisy! A world full of n00bs Indeed!
#4antoinejones(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 3:36:14 PM
ZEEER0 posted...
Knew this would be about WKC before even clicking on it.

didn't read.

Have an enjoyable day.

Because theres been at least 10 JRPGs released this year and you just KNEW it was about that one? Also if you read it youd know its actually about JRPGs in general (all that dont have Final Fantasy in the title).

Lastly if you "didnt bother to read" how did you know WKC was in the text? Finally if whatever the subject matter was so much that you "didnt bother to read" then why even bother clicking on the topic THEN proceed to further waste your time by making an irrelevant post? Theres a least 100 different topics a day on this board alone and guess what? The ones with topics that dont interest me I dont even click on let alone POST in... maybe you should try it.

Oh wait nvm that would require growing up and or being mature.. I forgot where I am, this is gfaqs thats way too much to ask for on here.. Id have a better chance convincing Bill Gates to give me all his money.
---
My first time and day in Jueno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#5antoinejones(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 3:42:16 PM
Aerosoldier posted...
JRPG are quite bad this gen, the best jrpg is Valkyria Chronicles which is a strategy jrpg, nier, sonata, wkc and others jrpg are ok at best but not awesome like ffx, persona 3, fes, 4, digital devil saga 1 & 2, Nocturne, Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy or any other awesome jrpg from ps2.

Let's hope we get Tales of graces f or xilia or vesperia coz those games look extremelly good.

Funny you mention VC.. I bought played and beat itrecently (because of all the talk on this board) and just like Demon Souls (another overrated game on this board) VC was okay... I loved the battle system/gameplay, but the story was meh (which I could say the same about WKC story but at least it has online to make up for it, as opposed to a 20 hour or less game that Im gonna beat and never touch again afterwards).

Also funny you mention Rogue Galaxy as one of the great ones.. and while I liked it (even more than VC) that game didnt exactly get stellar reviews either
---
#6CooperRCPosted 7/13/2011 3:51:28 PM
This review has nothing to do with JRPG's because in reality WKC does not play like a JRPG. It is more like a MMORPG without the massive number of players.
#7Sand_FlarePosted 7/13/2011 3:51:39 PM

Let's hope we get Tales of graces f

We are getting it
#8unlikelysergePosted 7/13/2011 3:53:12 PM
wkc2 is really good , but the best rpg this gen is mass effect 2
---
I am rubber, you are glue.
#9SODISPosted 7/13/2011 3:57:12 PM
Aerosoldier posted...

Da ****?! NIER not being as great as FFX? You got nostalgia goggle on or something? I'd say both are equally as great with a nod toward NIER for making gamers think outside the box multiple times.
---
NIER
#10LilFunnyCatPosted 7/13/2011 4:00:38 PM
SODIS posted...
Aerosoldier posted...

Da ****?! NIER not being as great as FFX? You got nostalgia goggle on or something? I'd say both are equally as great with a nod toward NIER for making gamers think outside the box multiple times.

Nier blows. Absolutely awful game that deserves any flak it gets. Got it for $12.99 new at BB and I'm glad I didn't pay higher. I think everyone is so sick of the same 5 people praising the horrible game.