This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Free DLC with new = reward, Locking away online when bought used = punishment

#21ptar_playerPosted 7/13/2011 7:48:30 PM
Actually seeing people use logic and make sense on gamefaqs. wow, mind = blown.

Good job Scwepps
---
Currently Playing: LittlebigPlanet 2, MW2, MAG,
LBP level: http://lbp.me/v/xvww6v
#22Shinobi120Posted 7/13/2011 7:58:14 PM(edited)
Schwepps01 posted...
Free DLC that should have been in the game anyways? That's not a reward. We need to get out of the mentality that we should be grateful for the sloppier and sloppier practices that developers follow. Enough with the DLC and ps passes.

I agree with this topic though. They could have used positive reinforcement instead of negative for buying new.

places what sell used games deserve to have all the profits from that used game and the people who actually make, develop, and distribute the games deserve nothing after the initial purchase.

Hey did you know, believe it or not, you actually OWN a game when you buy it, and not LEASE it? And therefore you can do whatever with it in any legal way you see fit? The people who make the games already got their money from the original purchaser. And that person can give away the game for free or break it if he wants. We're not fricken leasing games and that mentality needs to stop.

Amen to that (not in bold).

SODIS posted...
Game Industry and its Fanboys is the only industry I know of that has double-standards when it comes to "used stuff". Heck, even Microsoft doesn't whine as much as these industry leaders do.

Ain't that the truth. Sadly, the ones who defend awful practices like Online passes doesn't even see that yet.
#23jammitin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 8:09:47 PM
So you agree with the fact that places what sell used games deserve to have all the profits from that used game and the people who actually make, develop, and distribute the games deserve nothing after the initial purchase.

I never said that. If you are referring to my signature. I only have that because I hate this online pass crap. In fact I hardly ever buy used. That still doesn't make this online pass stuff any better. Also game companies never look at the positive side of used games. Yes there is a huge positive side. Also whenever overall gaming business is down overall for a quarter or whatever you never see used games being blamed.

Free DLC that should have been in the game anyways? That's not a reward

Well it's free and the only thing you need for it is a code. DLC is still a shoddy hit and miss practice. It balances the line between ok and rip off a lot. Should it be in the game? Probably. Is it really a rip off if it's free when you buy new? Not in my opinion. I agree with your last paragraph by the way.
---
Rooting for used games
#24chrisat928Posted 7/13/2011 8:20:21 PM
Is it really a rip off if it's free when you buy new?

Passes are free when you buy new as well.
---
PSN: chrisproto (teh-nook.com)
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional.
#25jammitin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2011 9:18:22 PM
Yes but at least DLC doesn't lock away a whole feature in a game that's become standard.now days.
---
Rooting for used games
#26ReloadedPosted 7/13/2011 9:38:28 PM(edited)
if publishers are trying to pull this online pass thing just to get me to buy new then it's not working, because now I'm just not buying period. Years ago I used to buy a new video game (NEW) almost every 1-2 weeks, now I buy one every 6 months, and usually after I've waited for it to go on sale. I'm sick and tired of this generations business model of pre-ordering from five different stores to get all the bonus DLC and restricting stuff that's on the disc you purchased. As someone else in this thread alluded to, the video game industry should take a hint from the music industry and learn to work WITH the consumer, not against us, otherwise I can see it suffering a similar fate down the line.