This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why don't they lower the prices of games?

#71SoaringDivePosted 7/14/2011 10:43:32 AM
stealth42 posted...
Angry birds costs 99c and they've sold millions.

e-books sell best when you price them at 99c instead of $9.99

/topic

And Angry Birds probably cost the guy $20 and a weekend.
---
Your entire life has been a mathematical error. A mathematical error I'm about to correct.
#72flavor07Posted 7/14/2011 10:58:14 AM
LunarRoar posted...
The_Blue_Stuff posted...
games are already the lowest they have ever been. Learn basic math and/or inflation

This, so goddamn much, jeez people, in the 90s games were crazily overpriced. In 1990, there were games that went for $60-100 just for the cartridge. With inflation that $60-100 from 1990 is around $90-160 today.

This argument makes no sense what-so-ever in todays competitive market. It is true that 60$ isn't overpriced for a new game, but in todays market developers now have to compete against online retailers and used game stores. Case in point, back in the 90s when Mortal Kombat was 80$ new on sega gensis, could you buy a CE 4 weeks later for 60$. No you couldn't, but you these days you can. Reference Infamous 2. 60$ brand new day one, 3 weeks later you could buy the Infamous 2 collectors edition for 50$ brand new when it retailed at 100-120 on release day.

In this market if you pay 60$ for any game you either one) absolutely can't wait past release day to play it or two) your supporting the developer. I'm all for supporting developers, but its ridiculous how cheap you can get games for these days. If you don't know what CAG stands for, do yourself a favor and find out.

To add to the OP, yes I would buy more new games if they retailed on release if they were 40$ or less.
#73xKontagionxPosted 7/14/2011 11:07:21 AM
Hobbies are expensive. Don't like it, find a new hobby.
---
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. - Herm Albright
#74petran78Posted 7/14/2011 12:23:54 PM
LunarRoar posted...
The_Blue_Stuff posted...
games are already the lowest they have ever been. Learn basic math and/or inflation

This, so goddamn much, jeez people, in the 90s games were crazily overpriced. In 1990, there were games that went for $60-100 just for the cartridge. With inflation that $60-100 from 1990 is around $90-160 today.

That is why at that time it was very common to borrow games from friends or rent games from video rental stores. Whereas now you can download any game often for free....

dj___roll posted...
I'm sure if they spent $15-20 million to develop it, it wouldn't sell for 99 cents.

In Asia it would.
---
A witty saying proves nothing
Voltaire
#75btaylorstlPosted 7/14/2011 1:15:11 PM
Hobbies are expensive. Don't like it, find a new hobby.

Right, and chances are extremely high that even if you pay $60 for every game you buy, you're still going to get much better value in time for your money with games than almost any other discretely consumed hobby out there.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/28/06
#76SuperPlatanoPosted 7/15/2011 5:44:09 AM
stealth42 posted...
Angry birds costs 99c and they've sold millions.

e-books sell best when you price them at 99c instead of $9.99

/topic

You're really gonna compare a mobile game that's main story is to get back eggs from pigs to a game like Heavy Rain or Skyrim?

Yeah, no.
---
Every Villain Is Lemons.
#77Roddy225Posted 7/15/2011 6:01:59 AM
I thought I read that Avatar and Blops cost about the same since the Blops advertising budget totally dwarfed avatars.
---
UK Rodriguez225 (360) Roddy225 (PSN)
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrRoddy225
#78your other dad sayz(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2011 8:17:14 PM
I never stated this before because I didn't want to sound biased, but I only buy new games. I don't buy them used, and I usually buy them on release day.

So to the people that think this is about me not being able to afford it, nice try. It's deeper than that.

Having said that, and after digging into this stuff a little more, I thinnk I may switch my habits.

I'm considering only buying used or waiting for significant price drops (which doesn't take that long anymore) from now on. With the exception of a very few titles that IMO are worth $60 (CoD, Elder Scrolls). That's not to say I don't think they couldn't be cheaper priced.
---
Currently Playing: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Xbox 360), God of War III (PS3)
#79Kooljay95Posted 7/15/2011 8:43:11 PM(edited)
your other dad sayz posted...

Chill out. It's not America's fault you live in ****ing Russia. Part of being American is our capitalist system and free market and right to ***** about high prices. Just because you sit back quietly, do what you're told, and buy unoffical copies of games with no questions asked doesn't mean we have to. Maybe if you guys spoke up a little you wouldn't be making $.25 an hour.

Owned

Cloudtail4ever posted...
Good thing I live in the state with the highest minimum wage. $8.75 guaranteed an hour, so we don't have to hear people whining about crap like this.

Damn thats high. The minimum wage in my state is $7.50

---
Psn-jaaronhart
My pickle started out in a jar, and now it's back in one. Patrick Star