This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What will I lose if I 'optimize' my PS3

#1jazvdb93Posted 8/1/2011 5:05:04 AM
http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/guides-reviews-articles/35771-how-speed-up-your-ps3-rebuilding-your-hard-disk-database.html

I have a lot of music files and videos

If I do that, will I lose their names or something?

Coz I have never manually organized my music and only set as (albums, genre,date) <- will those delete them?
---
PSN: jazvdb
R.I.P old GameFaqs account
#2Thermador446Posted 8/1/2011 5:26:07 AM
Sorry I can't answer your question, but if you have a lot of video and music that's important to you, you should get an External HDD to back up your stuff. They aren't that much more than the price of a game, and the peace of mind is worth it. You could probably clear up a lot of space on you PS3 HDD if you transferred your video over to an external.
#3Kaiser499Posted 8/1/2011 6:07:33 AM
Nothing gets lost except your messages. The annoying part about the optimize is that if you named folders for stuff like "betas" and "full games" is that everything gets put into a folder named "unknown" and you have to organize all that stuff again.
---
SoulSilver FC: 0690 2997 3274
Black FC: 0175 0805 7418
#4The_ConjuringPosted 8/1/2011 6:20:06 AM
Kaiser499 posted...
Nothing gets lost except your messages. The annoying part about the optimize is that if you named folders for stuff like "betas" and "full games" is that everything gets put into a folder named "unknown" and you have to organize all that stuff again.
#5ThAce6Posted 8/1/2011 6:40:51 AM
Only messages and playlists.
---
PSN: Anemptybox
TimeSplitters World Record Rankings: http://www.the-elite.net/TSElite/
#6fhunter476Posted 8/1/2011 6:41:59 AM
Copy/paste from my other post about this.

Well, I thought I'd try it to see how it would change my PS3, and it did... for the worse.

I upgraded to a 500gb drive several years ago. Not only do I have over 100 downloaded PSN titles, I also have quite a few HD movies (30+) on it as well. The HD movies actually take up the majority of the space.

Let me say: I only did the rebuild in hopes of improving performance. I have never had any problems with my PS3.

After the database rebuild, I lost about 20 of my HD movies. Now this wouldn't normally be a big deal, since I can just copy them back since I have them burned to disc. However I noticed something strange.

I usually sit with about 70gb free on my HD. After the rebuild, I still had 70gb free, yet the majority of my HD movies weren't there anymore... so why didn't I get all the space back???

Currently, I'm doing a backup of my hdd. Going to format it, do a restore, and pray it sets the free space back correctly.

TL:DR - It seems a database rebulid CAN cause problems.

Update: I had to fully format my hdd to get it to read the free space correctly. When I did the backup/restore the problem carried over.

The odds may be in your favor nothing bad happens, but be warned that something could.

_
---
Remember: Anyone who is worse than you is a noob, anyone better than you has no life.
Every human being deserves the respect they give to others.
#7DoubleJ_2Posted 8/1/2011 8:14:28 AM
Is there any way to backup playlists/messages and then restore them once the optimization is complete?
---
"This is like déjà vu all over again." - Yogi Berra