This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is getting an original PS3 the only way to get PS2 backwards compatability?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. So is getting an original PS3 the only way to get PS2 backwards compatability?
5 years ago#11
do to the fat original ps3's ylod problem, i would really suggest against it. mine ylod, lost all my ps2 saves and even if i got it fixed it would just die again in a few months. your much better off buying a ps2 for $100 and a slim ps3 for $300.
5 years ago#12
acutally iceberg is correct. man, i swore my friend had an 80GB model with only 2 usb ports on it. i didnt pay much attention to it. >_>
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
5 years ago#13
quinacridone posted...
acutally iceberg is correct. man, i swore my friend had an 80GB model with only 2 usb ports on it. i didnt pay much attention to it. >_>

Well there are 80 GB with 2 USB ports, they just don't play PS2 games which still sticks with my point.
Ill lick all fanboys ass! - arsios
5 years ago#14
star_guy_100 posted...
do to the fat original ps3's ylod problem, i would really suggest against it. mine ylod, lost all my ps2 saves and even if i got it fixed it would just die again in a few months. your much better off buying a ps2 for $100 and a slim ps3 for $300.

But I want to avoid having more than 2 consoles. It's already a hassle carrying around a single one. I just don't understand why Sony hates us so much that they got rid of backwards compatibility. That's just wrong.
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
5 years ago#15
Well people wanted the console to be cheaper, that was one of the ways of doing it.
Ill lick all fanboys ass! - arsios
5 years ago#16
Does the ps3 controller work with ps2 and psx games?
5 years ago#17
Iceberg73e posted...
Well people wanted the console to be cheaper, that was one of the ways of doing it.

But that's something I'm willing to pay for!
5 years ago#18
That1Guyy posted...
Iceberg73e posted...

But that's something I'm willing to pay for!

I hear that. Ditto.

I do think the best advice is to bite the bullet and buy a separate PS2 though. It seems like a lot of people have the YLOD problem and it would suck to pay so much for a launch fat PS3 only to have that happen.

Another thought: if we're lucky, Sony will make the PS4 BC with PS2 games.
Support PHYSICAL (not digital) distribution, and keep control of games in the hands of customers. Also, buy the game NIER. It may not be perfect but the music..
5 years ago#19
You know that was a huge selling point for me, that the fat 60 gig was BC making my system the largest gaming library with having PS1-2-3 titles to play.

The reality is that I don't think I ever went back and played my old PS2 games and was really happy that some (god of war 1 and 2) were ported with trophy support. I think I manly did it becasue I am a huge GTA fan and wanted all my old GTA games to be of some value.

Now that I have the YLOD I will have re-exaimne what this means. I currently have no PS3 as its been in the shope for almost a week..
Whatever it may bring I will live by my own policies
I will sleep with a clear conscience, I will sleep in peace.
5 years ago#20
I still occasionally play my PS2. Just recently I went back through Ace Combat 5 and unlocked everything again, and I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid 3 finally, but I've put that one down for a while. Although the HD collection coming out does mean I could play it regardless.

I'd stop playing my PS2 altogether, but there are still a few games worth playing that don't have a next gen sequel out that makes them not worth it. Like Ace Combat or Battlefront 2. But Battlefield 3 should make me forget about my pining for Bfront 3 for a while.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. So is getting an original PS3 the only way to get PS2 backwards compatability?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived