This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is getting an original PS3 the only way to get PS2 backwards compatability?

#11star_guy_100Posted 8/8/2011 11:28:20 PM
do to the fat original ps3's ylod problem, i would really suggest against it. mine ylod, lost all my ps2 saves and even if i got it fixed it would just die again in a few months. your much better off buying a ps2 for $100 and a slim ps3 for $300.
#12ElectricMolePosted 8/8/2011 11:30:16 PM
acutally iceberg is correct. man, i swore my friend had an 80GB model with only 2 usb ports on it. i didnt pay much attention to it. >_>
---
http://youtu.be/NB9ea_xWexM
Let's Get to the Top!
#13Iceberg73ePosted 8/8/2011 11:33:10 PM
quinacridone posted...
acutally iceberg is correct. man, i swore my friend had an 80GB model with only 2 usb ports on it. i didnt pay much attention to it. >_>

Well there are 80 GB with 2 USB ports, they just don't play PS2 games which still sticks with my point.
---
Ill lick all fanboys ass! - arsios
#14That1Guyy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2011 10:23:32 AM
star_guy_100 posted...
do to the fat original ps3's ylod problem, i would really suggest against it. mine ylod, lost all my ps2 saves and even if i got it fixed it would just die again in a few months. your much better off buying a ps2 for $100 and a slim ps3 for $300.

But I want to avoid having more than 2 consoles. It's already a hassle carrying around a single one. I just don't understand why Sony hates us so much that they got rid of backwards compatibility. That's just wrong.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#15Iceberg73ePosted 8/9/2011 10:24:26 AM
Well people wanted the console to be cheaper, that was one of the ways of doing it.
---
Ill lick all fanboys ass! - arsios
#16qpxdmqpPosted 8/9/2011 10:44:32 AM
Does the ps3 controller work with ps2 and psx games?
#17That1Guyy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2011 12:50:09 PM
Iceberg73e posted...
Well people wanted the console to be cheaper, that was one of the ways of doing it.

But that's something I'm willing to pay for!
---
#181stbasemanbeckPosted 8/9/2011 12:52:26 PM
That1Guyy posted...
Iceberg73e posted...

But that's something I'm willing to pay for!

I hear that. Ditto.

I do think the best advice is to bite the bullet and buy a separate PS2 though. It seems like a lot of people have the YLOD problem and it would suck to pay so much for a launch fat PS3 only to have that happen.

Another thought: if we're lucky, Sony will make the PS4 BC with PS2 games.
---
Support PHYSICAL (not digital) distribution, and keep control of games in the hands of customers. Also, buy the game NIER. It may not be perfect but the music..
#19WilliamCMinorPosted 8/9/2011 12:59:54 PM
You know that was a huge selling point for me, that the fat 60 gig was BC making my system the largest gaming library with having PS1-2-3 titles to play.

The reality is that I don't think I ever went back and played my old PS2 games and was really happy that some (god of war 1 and 2) were ported with trophy support. I think I manly did it becasue I am a huge GTA fan and wanted all my old GTA games to be of some value.

Now that I have the YLOD I will have re-exaimne what this means. I currently have no PS3 as its been in the shope for almost a week..
---
Whatever it may bring I will live by my own policies
I will sleep with a clear conscience, I will sleep in peace.
#20That1Guyy(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2011 1:10:12 PM
I still occasionally play my PS2. Just recently I went back through Ace Combat 5 and unlocked everything again, and I'm playing through Metal Gear Solid 3 finally, but I've put that one down for a while. Although the HD collection coming out does mean I could play it regardless.

I'd stop playing my PS2 altogether, but there are still a few games worth playing that don't have a next gen sequel out that makes them not worth it. Like Ace Combat or Battlefront 2. But Battlefield 3 should make me forget about my pining for Bfront 3 for a while.
---