This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

backing up hard drive data ?

#1magiceddie05Posted 8/11/2011 11:45:39 AM
i recently backed up the data on my hard drive because i'm getting a new HDD this weekend. and i just wanted to know what all gets backed up ? because right now i just have my ps3 themes, games saves and psone games saves on there. does it back up any settings or anything as well ?
#22Great4UPosted 8/11/2011 11:47:10 AM
It should. When I did a backup, it also backed up the user accounts and PSN info.
---
-- Skittles loyalist of the 360 Kinetic Fan Club
#3aegilnetPosted 8/11/2011 11:48:32 AM
read this.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/backuputility.html
#4magiceddie05(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2011 11:48:50 AM
hmm it didn't do any of that or i looked at the wrong folder. but should i back it up again just in case ?
#5antoinejonesPosted 8/11/2011 11:56:48 AM
you shouldnt be able to "see" what you have backedup if you did it right (because the backup is encrypted... EVERYTHING gets backed up including your system settings... just put in an external usb HDD use the backup utility under system settings once that back up is done put in the new hard drive and install the latest firmware... then go to the xmb and use the backup utility (after you put the new HDD in) and use the restore feature... EVERYTHING will be back to the way it was
---
My first time and day in Jueno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.
#6SauceyWombatPosted 8/11/2011 11:58:20 AM
Double check the available space in your external HDD & compare it to the used space of your PS3's internal HDD. If your external drive isn't large enough then it's possible that even though you selected the correct Backup Utility it just didn't have the room to do it's it's job 100%.

I used the PS3's Backup Utility with a large enough, FAT32 formatted, external USB HDD. Then I removed my original 60GB HDD from my console & replaced it with a new 500GB HDD. After following the PS3's prompts to format the new HDD everything was ready. I then selected the Backup Utility, chose Restore & all my PSN I.D. / accounts along with their passwords etc, all PSN downloaded games, all save data (including copy-protected) all game data, etc. were all restored & working.
#7magiceddie05(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2011 12:11:48 PM
i'm sure it backed everything up because my external HD is 250 gigs and it showed that the backup only took 20 gigs of memory.
#8Tmac2035Posted 8/11/2011 12:13:13 PM
magiceddie05 posted...
i recently backed up the data on my hard drive because i'm getting a new HDD this weekend. and i just wanted to know what all gets backed up ? because right now i just have my ps3 themes, games saves and psone games saves on there. does it back up any settings or anything as well ?

You will have to manually back up your PS1/PS2 saves. The back up Utility does not cover these, but it does back up everything else: Music, Photos, Videos, Games, Saves, Demos, etc.
---
This is my witty signature.
PSN: Toastie_McBake
#9magiceddie05(Topic Creator)Posted 8/11/2011 12:14:47 PM
also if for whatever reason it doesn't choose to back up my psn data and games i can always do the recover psn id thing correct ?
#10Tmac2035Posted 8/11/2011 12:20:05 PM
magiceddie05 posted...
also if for whatever reason it doesn't choose to back up my psn data and games i can always do the recover psn id thing correct ?

Recover PSN ID? I've not heard of this.

Downloaded games may have to be redownloaded, but as long as they are in your Transaction History this should not be a problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by PSN data though. Are you talking about trophies? Just make sure to sync them before you swap the drives.
---
This is my witty signature.
PSN: Toastie_McBake