This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ad-Hoc Party for PS3 is probably the coolest thing in gaming that nobody uses...

#1POOKISTANPosted 8/12/2011 9:50:57 PM
Ad-Hoc Party is a free program on PS3 that allows you to play any PSP game with local multiplayer (AKA ad-hoc multiplayer) online - The only catch is that in order to use it you have to have a wired connection going to your PS3 to free up the PS3's wireless for communication between the PS3 and PSP.

People that use it generally only play Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, or Monster Hunter Portable 3rd to be specific) which is fine by me considering that's why I started using it as well. The thing is not many people use it and there's far more games on PSP that have pretty awesome multiplayer games that never get played simply because it's hard to find someone with a PSP and the same game who's up to playing it multiplayer for any length of time, particularly in the US. That really sucks...

I look at my library of games and just knowing that anything and everything that has local multiplayer can be played online is pretty awesome. Even most, if not all, classic game collections have local multiplayer for PSP which makes them all multiplayer-compatible - This is something that is not always the case on Xbox Live/PlayStation Network classic games (they don't always have an online mode) and even if they do it's still like $5-$10 for a single game as opposed to a collection of a dozen or so for roughly $20 or less on PSP.

The other thing worth mentioning is portable consoles seem to have more unconventional games and ways of playing them than regular consoles which means you're generally gonna' find more varied multiplayer games and ways to play them on PSP. This leads me to believe that this program is quite possibly the most underrated and underused "doo-hicky" of this generation.

It's just unfortunate that I can look through my games and see all this potential but when I go online to actually play them with other people most likely I won't be able to find anyone. This is in part because people only want to play Monster Hunter on there but also in part because nobody uses the damn thing! Just kinda' unfortunate but, yeah - Worth mentioning...
#2poopninjamvc3mkPosted 8/12/2011 9:54:34 PM
Here are my steps to playing your psp game online that no one really plays.

1. goto that board of your psp game you wanna play
2. start up ad-hoc party thread and leave your psn there so ppl can request you and play
3.hope that the board isn't super dead and that someone will see it
4.you'll either profit from it or won't be playing that game online soon lol.

Which means you'll have to play MHP3,MHFU,or dissidia since that's all most ppl play lol.
#3SieKensouPosted 8/12/2011 9:55:13 PM
'tis sad indeed... i too wish it were used more

i think a main thing with this can be attributed to psp just not being that popular outside of japan...
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#4Kia123AminiPosted 8/13/2011 12:52:43 AM
POOKISTAN posted...
This is something that is not always the case on Xbox Live/PlayStation Network classic games (they don't always have an online mode) and even if they do it's still like $5-$10 for a single game as opposed to a collection of a dozen or so for roughly $20 or less on PSP.

Wait a minute, it costs money to use this service? Or are you saying the PSP games are $20 or less?
---
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, July 1942-May 2010. I hope you enjoyed your unparalleled musicianship while it lasted (all 67 years, dude). \m/
#5POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2011 1:12:07 AM(edited)
No, it's a free service, I was referring to how much the game would cost... I was just sayin' that Xbox Live and PlayStation Network have classic games available for download but they don't always include online multiplayer and they tend to be roughly $5-$10 so, yeah - Buying a collection of classic games for around $20, all of which you can play online through Ad-Hoc Party, is a lot more cost efficient...
#6NecrosexuaIPosted 8/13/2011 1:11:47 AM
i think a main thing with this can be attributed to psp just not being that popular outside of japan...
and russia! number one selling console/handheld of the gen here.

tc, your description confused me( sorry.
---
ANGRY**** BY NATURE, CHILL BY CIGARETTES
ONE PART THE FUHRER, ONE PART THE POPE -- vspominai menja
#7POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2011 1:20:25 AM
The thing is not many people use it and there's far more games on PSP that have pretty awesome multiplayer games that never get played simply because it's hard to find someone with a PSP and the same game who's up to playing it multiplayer for any length of time, particularly in the US.

I said "games" one too many times in that sentence - Between "multiplayer" and "that". I have no idea why but it won't let me edit my post, it just has the option to request a sticky. Either way I think that's the only confusing part - It should read like this:

The thing is not many people use it and there's far more games on PSP that have pretty awesome multiplayer that never get played simply because it's hard to find someone with a PSP and the same game who's up to playing it multiplayer for any length of time, particularly in the US.
#8ArsenicOverlordPosted 8/13/2011 1:40:31 AM
POOKISTAN posted...
I said "games" one too many times in that sentence - Between "multiplayer" and "that". I have no idea why but it won't let me edit my post, it just has the option to request a sticky.

I think you can only edit within one hour of posting. That's probably why.

Anyhow, one guy on my friends list is ALWAYS doing ad-hoc party whenever I see him online, so somebody uses it. :D
---
Phosphorus? Pfffft, who needs 'em?
#9namethatno1usesPosted 8/13/2011 2:35:10 AM
Well then what about the BAD side of Adhoc party?

1. Auto-kick if you don't connect to a game within 10 minutes in a house
2. Searching for a game will disconnect players in a house.
3. Text bug that makes chat disappear unless you use the R stick
4. Random disconnects and errors every 2 hours that (rarely) requires a PS3 reboot

It could use a patch. And besides the only thing being played is MH. Extremely rarely you might see a Peace Walker of Dissidia room. I haven't booted it up in over 6 months because hardly anyone uses it anymore.
---
Flaeli! This is what they call "magic". - Rune Walsh, PSIV
#10POOKISTAN(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2011 2:41:13 AM
I haven't noticed any of that except for the random disconnects and I didn't even know there was a Search feature - I just figure everyone that wants to be seen/bothered is in A1 and everyone else prolly wants to have private rooms. All of what you describe are fairly minor problems except for the random disconnects seem to happen extremely rarely. I also noticed mics don't always work but rebooting the game/rejoining seems to fix it within a couple of tries. Either way what it has to offer is well worth the minor frustrations of those fairly rare problems but, yeah, I agree there should be a bit more variety with what people play on there even though what they play prolly is the best of what's available for PSP...