This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How well does the PS3 do in America?

#1EternalNetherPosted 8/19/2011 1:12:31 AM
I just read this: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1188829p1.html

And it makes me think. The Xbox 360 is obviously a western console targeted at Ameria/Europe, whereas the Playstation 3 has much more of a target audience in Japan. With the 360 apparently dying out in Japan, I question if the PS3 does well enough over here to sustain itself. I have no idea what the sales figures are like these days, but though I live in America I've always loved and played primarily JRPGs. I would hate for consoles to become region-exclusive within a generation or two (I'm picturing Xbox 4 only being sold in US/EU, PS5 only being sold in JPN) or something like that.

D=
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjx-9GYy1A
#2BasementDewdPosted 8/19/2011 1:13:57 AM
With the next gen consoles hitting next year it really doesnt matter. Sony lost this one,
---
I'll read your post after you finish Demon's Souls, Infamous and Folklore
#3riddlebox89Posted 8/19/2011 1:15:35 AM
BasementDewd posted...
With the next gen consoles hitting next year it really doesnt matter. Sony lost this one,

no, next gen consoles are not hitting next year.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#4WantedOutlawPosted 8/19/2011 1:16:17 AM
Well, it's technically in last place in the US but the gap between 2nd and 3rd is fairly small. So small that the place it's in really doesn't matter because both Sony and MS have sold a ton. I could see MS abandoning Japan with future consoles because it sales so awful there but Sony still sells well in the US.. maybe not PS2 number but still a pretty huge number, so I seriously doubt they'd ever stop selling here.
#5its_mattPosted 8/19/2011 1:18:02 AM
In America Xbox did better. It was pretty even across Europe and Xbox lost in Japan, big time
#6EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2011 1:26:26 AM
I'm not really interested in who is winning or losing the 'war' though. I never understood why we had to fight the war to begin with. I'm just interested in sustainability. As long as Sony is selling enough units in the USA to continue selling its platform and supporting it with games then I'm happy.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjx-9GYy1A
#7cre_age_aeonPosted 8/19/2011 1:42:31 AM
EternalNether posted...
I'm not really interested in who is winning or losing the 'war' though. I never understood why we had to fight the war to begin with. I'm just interested in sustainability. As long as Sony is selling enough units in the USA to continue selling its platform and supporting it with games then I'm happy.

I always felt the "console war" crap was most likely a throw back to the Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis days...lol at the fanboy rants over which system had the best "graphics" at school lunch tables across America back then. Always to be interjected by the elitist arcade kid of course >= /
---
Tovarishch
#8LuminescentRulePosted 8/19/2011 3:53:04 AM
The only 2 countries where the PS3 hasn't passed the 360 is the US and the UK. And even then, the 1 year head start only bought MS a 3.5M lead.
---
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3534/dronehabitat.jpg
#9thisranksPosted 8/19/2011 4:12:54 AM
EternalNether posted...
I just read this: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1188829p1.html

And it makes me think. The Xbox 360 is obviously a western console targeted at Ameria/Europe, whereas the Playstation 3 has much more of a target audience in Japan. With the 360 apparently dying out in Japan, I question if the PS3 does well enough over here to sustain itself. I have no idea what the sales figures are like these days, but though I live in America I've always loved and played primarily JRPGs. I would hate for consoles to become region-exclusive within a generation or two (I'm picturing Xbox 4 only being sold in US/EU, PS5 only being sold in JPN) or something like that.

D=

==========================================
I've been with Sony and the PS brand since the beginning and i don't consider it a "eastern console" nor do i see the 360 or Wii as regionalized consoles. People who regionalize anything are only handicapping themselves.

I can see the regionally challenged loving that concept, though. Thank god i don't handicap myself by regionalizing games. I'd be embarrassed to admit i was a gamer if i did.

I guess it's thanks to forums like this where you can admit things you normally wouldn't without shame that allows many to do so.
---
We're off to kick the Collectors right in their daddy-bags.
#10ArsenicOverlordPosted 8/19/2011 4:25:17 AM
cre_age_aeon posted...
EternalNether posted...

I always felt the "console war" crap was most likely a throw back to the Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis days...lol at the fanboy rants over which system had the best "graphics" at school lunch tables across America back then. Always to be interjected by the elitist arcade kid of course >= /

Now it's the elitist PC kid. :D

And yeah, it really is a silly "tradition."
---
Phosphorus? Pfffft, who needs 'em?