This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Error message followed by shutdown?

#1Manok101Posted 8/22/2011 12:13:50 PM
I've never had this problem with my ps3 in the year or so that I've owned it, I was happily playing dragon age origins.. when I suddenly got some sort of error message (it didn't give me time to read it) then shut down, followed by a blinking red power light, what does this mean?
#2ChaingunmasterPosted 8/22/2011 12:14:40 PM
Sounds like the thing is overheating. Try to take a photo of the error screen.
---
http://www.twitter.com/Alos88- follow me and I'll follow you
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#3thedevilsminionPosted 8/22/2011 12:15:22 PM
myotherhalfisevil posted...
I've never had this problem with my ps3 in the year or so that I've owned it, I was happily playing dragon age origins.. when I suddenly got some sort of error message (it didn't give me time to read it) then shut down, followed by a blinking red power light, what does this mean?

Possible overheat usually follows a shut down, were you able to boot the PS3 back up or ...
---
Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose....
#4_HlM_Posted 8/22/2011 12:15:25 PM
Have you tried tuning it back on?

maybe its dead O_O
---
The Official: Most Beautiful Person in the World.
#5Manok101(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2011 12:25:53 PM
Yes, it can turn back on, so that's my guess, I have a tendency to forget to turn it off at night. If I just turn it off more often will this problem not happen again?
#6yoshinator112Posted 8/22/2011 12:31:01 PM
I didn't read your whole post, but does the error screen have white text on a red background? I get this occasionally, it means one of your installled games is corrupt. Just delete it and re-download it, it should work then. Hope that helps :|
---
lI|PSN|Il Muramusa723
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." - Voltaire
#7Manok101(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2011 12:47:56 PM
No it was just a standard every day grey background with white text. For now I have turned it off, and will let it rest awhile.
#8Ultimate_TimmehPosted 8/22/2011 1:14:47 PM
IIRC blinking red light after sudden unexpected shutdown means overheating. Make sure your system has good airflow around it. Don't put it in a cabinet that has a back panel, for example.
---
PSN: Ultimate_Timmeh
http://www.backloggery.com/ultimate_timmeh
#9Manok101(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2011 1:19:58 PM
could over heating cause disc read errors too?
#10Ultimate_TimmehPosted 8/22/2011 1:23:50 PM
Depends. Overheating can damage pretty much every random thing inside your system. If it damages anything at all, usually the forced shutdown is before the temperature is high enough to cause damage. But if you turn it back on right after the shutdown, then it'll just heat up some more. That's when things start breaking. So yeah, it's possible.

Could also be your Blu-Ray drive or lens, of course. Maybe the system crashed because your drive died while playing.
---
PSN: Ultimate_Timmeh
http://www.backloggery.com/ultimate_timmeh