This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MGS4- I know I'm way late to the party, but holy crap....

#1deathsaber79Posted 8/23/2011 12:32:42 PM
This was easily the game with the least amount of gameplay that I have ever encountered. I truly think for the approximately 16 or so hours the counter said the game took, I was controlling maybe 4 hours if I'm lucky.

MGS was always cutscene heavy, but I still always felt like I've accomplished something, gameplaywise, and there was always some difficulty to be sneaky since you were basically doomed if caught. In this I easily just Rambo'ed my way through, and the last few acts were all just largely setpiece moments- very little exploration gameplay at all.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the experience as a movie to tie up loose ends and damn if they actually semi-competently concluded the mess they made after MGS2, but as a videogame... I just don't know...
#2HHM_HHUPosted 8/23/2011 12:41:06 PM
Every time a person says they didn't like MGS4 as a game they always are the ones who would shoot everyone and go in all "Rambo."

Your game play experience is to be expected considering the game's strength lays with sneaking instead of action.

But that is what makes MGS4 so great as well.
You play it however you like.

To each his own.
---
I own and love all three current systems!
(MGO - he-hate-me/ Ash_Apocalypse)
#3jubjub_28Posted 8/23/2011 12:51:47 PM
you want gameplay? play on the boss extreme.

and i don't know why people keep saying mgs2 was so convoluted... it's easily my favorite mgs title.. and ive played all of them 10+ times.
---
The difference between FACT and OPINION, get it right.
http://to.pbs.org/6mfRCV
#4NaylordPosted 8/23/2011 12:52:11 PM
Want more gameplay, go for the BigBoss Emblem. Unlike most absurd videogame challenges theres nothing actually repetive or annoying about it at all. It merely makes you truly appriciate the stealth gameplay. Never get spotted, never kill a soul, all while on the hardest difficulty that induces some pretty good AI.
A rambo style playthrough on normal difficulty is obviously going to be pretty lame.
#5art_of_the_killPosted 8/23/2011 12:52:22 PM
this I easily just Rambo'ed my way through, and the last few acts were all just largely setpiece moments- very little exploration gameplay at all.

*sigh* This must be why more people think of MGS4 as a TPS than a stealth game.
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#6docholliday504Posted 8/23/2011 12:53:06 PM
I agree. If the in-game cut scenes weren't bad enough, the ending was obscene. My GF (at the time) was at my apt when I beat MGS4. I told her we could leave once I watched the ending...an hour later; we were still there....and she broke up with me shortly afterwards.

Just kidding on that last part, but I would have if I were her.

All in all I liked the game when they let you play but the cutscenes were horrific. I don't find the series Funny, campy or amusing like a lot of people do. I'm there for the gameplay.
---
Wii Number: 2350 5528 3593 6022
PSN ID: docholliday504 Gamertag: docholliday504 Now Playing-Portal 2
#7xReflectingGodxPosted 8/23/2011 12:56:07 PM
docholliday504 posted...
I agree. If the in-game cut scenes weren't bad enough, the ending was obscene. My GF (at the time) was at my apt when I beat MGS4. I told her we could leave once I watched the ending...an hour later; we were still there....and she broke up with me shortly afterwards.

Just kidding on that last part, but I would have if I were her.

lol
---
Chicago Bulls / St. Louis Rams / St. Louis Cardinals
PSN: Spaghetti_Socks
#8ChiliPupPosted 8/23/2011 12:57:50 PM
HHM_HHU posted...
Every time a person says they didn't like MGS4 as a game they always are the ones who would shoot everyone and go in all "Rambo."

Your game play experience is to be expected considering the game's strength lays with sneaking instead of action.

But that is what makes MGS4 so great as well.
You play it however you like.

To each his own.

^ Agreed. TC, if you want a 3rd person shooter, play Mass Effect 2.

---
---
[This moderator or administrator was deleted at the request of this message.]