This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about buying games at Gamestop

#1PorousRatPosted 8/24/2011 1:44:07 PM
I haven't bought any games there in a couple years, but I remember on new games they used to open the games case and keep the disc in a separate sleeve until you bought it. So when you bought a new game the case was already open.

It might be anal, but that used to bug me. Do they still do that?
#2VecturinPosted 8/24/2011 1:45:41 PM
they only do that with the very last copy so they can have an empty case to put on the shelves

if you are buying a major day 1 release, chances are pretty good you'll get a shrinkwrapped copy.
---
http://www.pcgamingisnotdead.com/
#3SzymaaPosted 8/24/2011 1:46:22 PM
And, you can ask for a sealed copy, if they have them, you can get one.
---
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Theives
#4dwill91Posted 8/24/2011 1:47:40 PM
I've gone in to buy a new copy of rdr a few months after release.and they took it out of one of their crappy paper sleeves. Needless to say I said never mind, because I wanted a new copy.

So orderd online.
---
PSN:dwill91 Add me for AE, MVC3,KZ3, 3SO,RE5 mercs, and soon resistance 3. CAPCOM FAN!!!!
#5jjgatorPosted 8/25/2011 3:38:05 PM
Vecturin posted...
they only do that with the very last copy so they can have an empty case to put on the shelves

if you are buying a major day 1 release, chances are pretty good you'll get a shrinkwrapped copy.

That's not true in a store in my town. The last time I bought a game there(2009) they had multiple new copies on the shelf and they were all opened.
---
PSN: jjgator
#6BurgerTime79Posted 8/25/2011 3:43:20 PM

And, you can ask for a sealed copy, if they have them, you can get one.

They're going to give you a sealed one anyways unless it's their last copy. There doesn't need to be any requesting for sealed copies.

jjgator, I'm guessing that maybe that one particular store just likes to go a bit overboard with opening cases. I know a few stores I've been in over the years have opened sometimes 5 or 6 copies of a particular game to make more displays.

Yes TC, they still open up a couple copies for display. If you go in and that's the last copy, you can politely ask for a shop worn discount, have them call another store nearby to see if they have a sealed copy, or simply walk out of the store. As much as some people will make it out to be true, you're never forced into buying opened product
---
We need NO 3rd party characters in the upcoming Smash Bros!
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/games.php?u=256817
#7FullmetalNoobPosted 8/25/2011 3:48:24 PM

lolno.

Every GameStop I went to has multiple shelves full of "new" games. There was a "NEW" sticker on it with the price even though there was no plastic wrap over the game and the game was obviously opened. Must be a ***** to peel off the sticker, with the fear of residue or that screw up when the sticker isn't fully off... can't describe it but it's bull to get rid of.
---
CrimsonGear80 posted
Oh, and eventually, no one is going to give a **** about this.
#8masterosportsPosted 8/25/2011 3:49:48 PM
I just went in to get a new copy of MLB 11 The Show and Just Cause 2. The Show was shrink wrapped but JC2 wasn't, but he specifically stated it was the last copy, so it made sense.
---
When life gives you lemons, you take the lemons squirt them in lifes face, steal lifes wallet, and go out and party!
#9BurgerTime79Posted 8/25/2011 3:56:56 PM

lolno.

Every GameStop I went to has multiple shelves full of "new" games. There was a "NEW" sticker on it with the price even though there was no plastic wrap over the game and the game was obviously opened. Must be a ***** to peel off the sticker, with the fear of residue or that screw up when the sticker isn't fully off... can't describe it but it's bull to get rid of.

You're experience doesn't equal everyone else's, and come on now, don't start with the making a mountain out of a mole hill in regards to the stickers. If there's a Gamestop that opens up every single copy of every game that comes into the store and no customers ever get a sealed copy, I have yet to find it.
---
We need NO 3rd party characters in the upcoming Smash Bros!
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/games.php?u=256817
#10Hells_TorturerPosted 8/25/2011 4:05:36 PM
Could go either way, sometimes they open boxes to remove promotions inside the game but they will always harass you to buy a used copy so better just not to buy there.