This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Japanese games have been as creative as ever

#141Dark_FluxPosted 8/27/2011 2:16:17 PM
Both, Id class them as the same genre, Its a loose fitting label but to quote wiki:

Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPG, action/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely-defined sub-genre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games.[1]
---
PSN ID : Dark-Flux2
#142Agent_GreerPosted 8/27/2011 2:30:02 PM
Dark_Flux posted...
Both, Id class them as the same genre, Its a loose fitting label but to quote wiki:

Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPG, action/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely-defined sub-genre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games.[1]

But they're very different games and shouldn't be put in the same category.

Demon's Souls is not the same as Crisis Core or Kingdom Hearts.
---
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79/Vanquish_Souls/RussianHipster-2.jpg
#143Dark_FluxPosted 8/27/2011 2:36:22 PM
No but they have enough in common to come under the same loose category.
Both are RPGs which incorporate elements from action games. Theyre are not different enough to warrent the creation of yet another sub-genre.
Resi 4 is very different from Uncharted, both are TPS games.
---
#144Agent_GreerPosted 8/27/2011 2:39:11 PM
Demon's Souls - action WRPG

Kingdom Hearts / Crisis Core - action JRPGs

There, that is my solution.
---
#145Dark_FluxPosted 8/27/2011 2:48:15 PM
And thats fine, but we are just arguing opinions here.

I myself dont really class West or East as a genre of game, more an asthetic style.

If for example, a western Kingdom Hearts was made with (stereotypically) bald meathead characters in a Tolkien-esque fantasy setting but for all intents and purposes played exacty the same as KH, i would just say they are both Action-RPGs. As opposed to seperating them as WRPG and JRPG despite being identical in gameplay terms.
---
#146Agent_GreerPosted 8/27/2011 2:54:07 PM
Dark_Flux posted...
And thats fine, but we are just arguing opinions here.

I myself dont really class West or East as a genre of game, more an asthetic style.

If for example, a western Kingdom Hearts was made with (stereotypically) bald meathead characters in a Tolkien-esque fantasy setting but for all intents and purposes played exacty the same as KH, i would just say they are both Action-RPGs. As opposed to seperating them as WRPG and JRPG despite being identical in gameplay terms.

I hate Kingdom Hearts. In my opinion Kingdom Hearts is monkey poop.

I love Demon's Souls, it is the best game this gen and I'd be offended if someone put it in the same genre as KH or CC.

but yeah, maybe just for asthetics. I mean in RPG topics here, the TC will want someone to recommend games. Someone may recommend games like ME2, Fallout or something and then the TC will say something about wanting something like FF, or vice versa.
---
#147RPG maniac87Posted 8/27/2011 11:11:43 PM
Agent_Greer posted...
I'd be offended if someone put it in the same genre as KH or CC.

Agreed. Damon's Salts doesn't come close to KH or CC in quality.
---
Mass Effect 1 & 2 are the worst two games this gen. - noted by HighOnPhazon