This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Attn : TV Guru's I need help!

#1HibiKagePosted 8/27/2011 11:32:06 PM
I live in japan and I need to buy a new TV used primarily for gaming.

Can anyone recommend me a good model/brand to go with that is not too expensive. also LCD or plasma? Im a total TV noob.
---
ATM-09 RSC - MS-09
VF-1/S - Tactical Pod Regult
#2Teepo64Posted 8/27/2011 11:37:46 PM
Panasonic Plasmas are getting cheaper, I think.

Plasmas all the way.
---
Naughty Dog presents... Unkarted: Drake's Drift.
We're going to race, and look cinematically sexy doing it.
#3dragonballEEEPosted 8/28/2011 12:22:24 AM
Yeah, Panasonic Plasmas are the best for gaming (I sell TV's). They have the best color, they'll always be really sharp, they're cheaper, and they have 1ms lag input (it means when you do something on the controller, the TV moves with it, basically). Get a 1080P if you're trying to do gaming on it (which you obviously are).
#4archizzyPosted 8/28/2011 1:03:06 AM
dragonballEEE posted...
Yeah, Panasonic Plasmas are the best for gaming (I sell TV's). They have the best color, they'll always be really sharp, they're cheaper, and they have 1ms lag input (it means when you do something on the controller, the TV moves with it, basically). Get a 1080P if you're trying to do gaming on it (which you obviously are).

You didn't list any specific models and even if you were talking about the flagship VT30 it doesn't have the absolute best color as the Samsung PND8000 is pretty much the new reference display for color accuracy.

No Plasma or LCD is as low as 1ms for input lag and I'm wondering where you even got this number to begin with. Pretty much no professional review places in North America have any type of testing for input lag let alone a standardized test.

The closest thing you will find are user tests on avsforum and even they vary from person to person and no one will have a time that low.

I would guess you are talking about the .001ms response time which has absolutely nothing to do with input lag.

Do you sell tvs at Best Buy?
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#5secondhand1Posted 8/28/2011 7:19:08 AM(edited)
HibiKage posted...

Can anyone recommend me a good model/brand to go with that is not too expensive. also LCD or plasma? Im a total TV noob.

No you don't. You never buy a display primarily for gaming. If gaming performance is your top priority, buy a monitor.

Otherwise, you set your budget, you list your criteria, and when you narrow down the displays that fit in that window, all aspects will perform, from gaming to broadcast HD.
---
Youth is easily deceived because it is quick to hope.
#6KidInTheHallPosted 8/28/2011 7:37:26 AM
Hey Archizzy, I don't know if you remember but a while back I had told you that my LG Plasma passed Dolby Digital 5.1 from the TV's optical port to my audio receiver, I notiiice that a DTS signal will make the audio skip and it will only pass Dolby Digital from my PS3 not my 360 even though they use the same HDMI cables.

Could it just be something with that particular HDMI port that does it?
---
Xbox Live GT : EVL Ripper / Playstation Network : EVL_Ripper
#7archizzyPosted 8/28/2011 9:52:23 AM
KidInTheHall24 posted...
Hey Archizzy, I don't know if you remember but a while back I had told you that my LG Plasma passed Dolby Digital 5.1 from the TV's optical port to my audio receiver, I notiiice that a DTS signal will make the audio skip and it will only pass Dolby Digital from my PS3 not my 360 even though they use the same HDMI cables.

Could it just be something with that particular HDMI port that does it?

It could be a number of things but the incoming HDMI port really has nothing to do with it. It probably has more to do with your internal circuitry on the tv and with the PS3 the way it uses PCM over HDMI.

As stated before it is super rare for a tv to pass out 5.1 from the optical port after an external component sends it in. That is usually reserved only for the internal QAM or ATSC tuners.

The fact that is works is probably more a mistake than a proper design choice. Especially with it working on the PS3 and not the 360 and with it having issues with DTS which is common for tvs. They aren't normally designed to be switchers.

Personally I would avoid the hassle and just run the optical directly from the machines to your sound system and not your tv. If you don't have enough inputs get an optical switcher from monoprice or if you have some extra money a new AVR.

You can get some incredible AVRs for some decent money now. I found a friend a really nice mid level Denon with Audyssey Multi-EQXT for $420 two weeks ago. It was an absolute steal.
---
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#8HibiKage(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2011 11:44:36 AM
secondhand1 posted...
HibiKage posted...

No you don't. You never buy a display primarily for gaming. If gaming performance is your top priority, buy a monitor.

Otherwise, you set your budget, you list your criteria, and when you narrow down the displays that fit in that window, all aspects will perform, from gaming to broadcast HD.

other than maybe 5 movies a week the only thing I use my TV for is Gaming. I usually spend at least 5 hours a day gaming but sometimes a lot more.

I don't need a huge TV but Im not familiar with monitors and Im not sure if they make them big enough to replace my TV with.

I don't want to spend more than 12,000 Yen and I am worried that with the amount of long(5-9 hour) gaming sessions that a plasma TV would get burn in.
---
ATM-09 RSC - MS-09
#9HibiKage(Topic Creator)Posted 8/28/2011 11:53:34 AM
sorry for the double post.

my requirements are
screen size - 30-40 inches (currently have a 32" and it is fine size wise)
budget - 12,000 - 14,000 including delivery and extended warranty
Usage - long duration gaming sessions 5-9 hours, I see so many conflicting statements about plasma screens and burn in. Playing in shorter sessions with breaks is not really an option for me due to my schedule.
other - I would prefer something that is good on electricity and does not give off large amounts of heat.
size - The external case of the TV must be smaller than 74cm wide by 60cm tall, that is the only place I can fit the TV into.
---
ATM-09 RSC - MS-09
#10archizzyPosted 8/28/2011 12:06:19 PM
HibiKage posted...
sorry for the double post.

my requirements are
screen size - 30-40 inches (currently have a 32" and it is fine size wise)
budget - 12,000 - 14,000 including delivery and extended warranty
Usage - long duration gaming sessions 5-9 hours, I see so many conflicting statements about plasma screens and burn in. Playing in shorter sessions with breaks is not really an option for me due to my schedule.
other - I would prefer something that is good on electricity and does not give off large amounts of heat.
size - The external case of the TV must be smaller than 74cm wide by 60cm tall, that is the only place I can fit the TV into.

For your size requirements you can pretty much rule out Plasma anyway. Most Plasmas don't start until 42 inches.

I'm not familiar with your prices at all and there are often performance differences between Japanese/NA/ and even European models. I don't follow the Japanese model numbers or technical differences.

You would be better off finding a technical website for your region, even something like cnet japan and find a list of their top rated 32 or 40 inch LCDs in your price range and go from there.

It would be more rewarding to do a little research on your own about your purchase. Rule out features or weaknesses that don't matter to you and go from there. Look for something with a decent color management system that has the ability for some accurate colors and grayscale while delivering a nice picture.
---