This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Silent Hill

#1djiluvu44Posted 8/28/2011 12:49:19 AM
I really wanna get into the series and so far I played the 2 PSP games I finished and liked Shattered Memories' story but I disliked Origins. Just watched the movie last night with friends but while the story is interesting it doesnt scared me a bit, I heard the movie is very similar to the original game. What would u guys recommend? Should I download the 1st game on the PSN store, how about Homecoming? Should I get that game too?
#2star_guy_100Posted 8/28/2011 1:01:23 AM(edited)
origins is more similar to the tradition style silent hill games. shattered memories is very different. if you loved shattered memories and hated origins, you might not like the rest.

origins, 1, and 3 are their own story, you should play them in order, at least 1 and 3 in order. 2, 4, and 5 are separate stories. most people consider 1-3 to be the best in the series.

i might start with homecoming, its the newest, and will give you an idea if you like the silent hill style of game. and you can get it easy and cheap. or try 1, it is similar to the movie, but the game is better.
#3SolidGoldPosted 8/28/2011 1:02:33 AM
Silent Hill HD Collection is out soon also.
#4suprsoliderPosted 8/28/2011 1:05:26 AM
If you hated origins then I know your going to hate the original Silent Hill. Hell I liked Origins and still to this day hate the original Silent Hill. 2 is SO MUCH BETTER in every way.

I still have my original PS1 Silent Hill that cost me $80 (I live in Canada and before them making game prices on par with US prices, they used to gouge us heavily, atleast here in Saskatchewan)
---
"Those who say it's impossible to do something should not disturb those who attempt to accomplish."
Wii Code:7975 8057 2122 7057 PSN ID: CF-105
#5yearisyesterdayPosted 8/28/2011 2:51:23 AM
Wow, you haven't even touched the core of the series. If you have a PS2, get 2, 3, and 4 right away. SH1 is good, but it shows its age much more than the other games. I'm with you: disliked Origins, enjoyed Shattered Memories. The movie was based on the plot of SH1 but they changed some things, most notably the motivations of the cult (in my opinion, the original plot was far more creative, though the writing was nothing special).

I'd suggest skipping 1 for now, checking out at least 2 and 3, then getting 1 if you enjoyed 3 and want to understand it better. That's the order I played those two, and I was satisfied. SH2 gets universal acclaim for good reason, though I should warn you it's not really scary...SH3 excels in that area. SH4 is an underrated gem, and Homecoming is flawed but also worth playing...after you've played the "real" Silent Hill games.
---
Check out my LittleBigPlanet levels at http://lbp.me/u/pengi2dave88/levels, and my Interactive Fiction at http://tinyurl.com/ifdb-b-a-c.
#6ShinobiHayabusaPosted 8/28/2011 2:54:14 AM
HOMECOMING IS PRETTY BAD, oops, caps lock was on. i wated $15 on it. i mean wasted. part 3 and the wiis shattered memories are the best ones i played
---
My wrestling theme: youtube.com/watch?v=23ZK5Sp2uFc
Last game i beat: Moon Diver online
#7Red LinkPosted 8/28/2011 3:49:56 AM
2 and 3 are must plays, especially 2. 1 is also a must play if you can handle it's age. 4 is a decent-ish game, but not nearly as good as 1-3. Origins and Homecoming are crap.
---
America: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnPQOBWP1ec
#8UltimaGabePosted 8/28/2011 7:03:09 AM
The movie was bad. It didn't capture the isolation of the series at all (which is one of the biggest aspects of the games). A movie or game or whatever just isn't scary if there's tons of people around who know more than you do. They also explained/showed way too much in the movie. It would have been way better if they'd left, you know, some mystery.
---
PSN ID: RedSleeves
"I am Nanaki, son of the warrior Seto!"
#9arczero_xPosted 8/28/2011 8:36:53 AM
The original Silent Hill is still actually the best in the entire franchise. If you don't mind playing with outdated graphics then you'll be sure to have fun with it!
---
http://backloggery.com/arczero
Whatever that is on your mind is my signature.
#10marco82Posted 8/28/2011 9:21:16 AM(edited)

HOMECOMING IS PRETTY BAD, oops, caps lock was on. i wated $15 on it. i mean wasted. part 3 and the wiis shattered memories are the best ones i played

Is your delete key broken or something?

Anyways, back when I got my PS2 i picked up SH2 before trying SH1, and I think that's the way to go. I played 2, 1, then 3 and 4, and it somehow made sense. SH1 might be a bit too dated if it's your first one, so SH2 will get you hooked enough to forgive SH1's age.
---
Currently reading (or trying to read): "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace, "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski (trippy). Any recs?