This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is downloadable content really worth it?

#1lovestocommentPosted 9/12/2011 1:29:18 PM
man, dlc for video games really pisses me off. a perfect example is street fighter IV- you have to buy alternate costumes if you want one for your character? i already payed 60 bucks for the game when it came out and now i have to cough up more cash?
#2BurgerTime79Posted 9/12/2011 1:41:15 PM
Not every piece of DLC is as you described, so no, it's not a perfect example. Those costumes are something optional that you can choose to download or not. Plus people love to trash on Capcom as it is, so you probably just used them as an example to open a floodgate.

Yes you paid $60 for a game when it came out? So? If a company is taking the time after the game goes gold to work on additional content for you to buy, that's completely up to them. Games like Fallout 3 or Borderlands that have additional content added to them after the game's release.
---
We need NO 3rd party characters in the upcoming Smash Bros!
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/games.php?u=256817
#3aken909Posted 9/12/2011 1:52:51 PM
Very very rarely. Arguably never.
#4bluehat94Posted 9/12/2011 1:57:10 PM
SF4 is an awful example actually since a lot of DLC is actually substansial, like the bethesda DLC
---
"When these hands are crushing your throat, your dying breath won't be an appeal to god, it'll be, thank you Killbane"- Killbane
#5servb0tsPosted 9/12/2011 2:00:32 PM
aken909 posted...
Very very rarely. Arguably never.

^^ I 2nd this.
#6DevilKingZeonPosted 9/12/2011 2:07:24 PM
Depends on the DLC...
I'm ok with stuff like Wipeout HD fury, the Soldner X-2 last chapter DLC, you know, stuff that's made to support the game after it's been out a while.

Stuff like day 1 DLC, extra modes and costumes can go f*** itself though.
---
Warning! Warning!...Large craft approaching! Attach and destroy!
I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best, isn't very nice.
#7BloodWind88Posted 9/12/2011 2:11:09 PM
Undead Nightmare for Red Dead Redemption was definitely worth it. But that's about it.
---
Currently Playing: Nier, Ys Seven, Silent Hill, Naruto Shippuden Ninja Storm 2, Okamiden, Xenogears
#8lovestocomment(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2011 2:17:18 PM(edited)
most dlc isn't even worth it, its just an excuse for game companies to take more money from my wallet
#9arczero_xPosted 9/12/2011 2:17:37 PM
Sad thing is that most DLCs in games are the ones that intentionally milk their fans. Arksys made the worst DLC (color for characters) and it's amazing that Capcom followed that practice and did that with their new SF3 Third Strike OE.

Yes, it's true that these DLCs are optional, but things like these are supposed to be included in the game. They did that in the past generation so I wonder why they start doing this now.

Oh well, it is still a business and so money changes a lot of people. I just wish DLCs are something more worthwhile and not just an easy way to get some cash.
---
http://backloggery.com/arczero
Whatever that is on your mind is my signature.
#10SuperPlatanoPosted 9/12/2011 2:22:53 PM
A couple of DLC examples that i bought and thought it was worth it was Minerva's Den for BS2, Undead Nightmare for RDR and the Big Surf DLC for Burnout Paradise
---
Every Villain Is Lemons.