This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

just bought a ps3 and i need help with display

#1LinkIsSpartanPosted 9/12/2011 7:08:52 PM
Ive got a 1080i TV with a max resolution of 1300 or something but it upscales to 1080p. What display setting should i keep it at? 720p? I mean i tried blops and it looks much better on xbox with 720p. Should i turn RGB full range to full or limited. What about Y Pb/cb pr? on or off? oh and dont forget deep color output.

my tvs model is 32lh20d. Id post a link here but im posting from my mobile and i dont know how to copy and paste.

Thanks for helping :-)
---
[ O o SKYLINE o O ] GT: Blitz Tuned GTR
March 21st, the world wept when i took my first breath
#2VarronPosted 9/12/2011 7:13:02 PM
stick with 720p, unless you want blurry pixelations and jaggies
---
Currently Playing: NOTHING, I'm in college :(
#3RiseDarthVaderPosted 9/12/2011 7:15:05 PM
Get the PS3 to auto detect and set RGB to limited for colour accuracy.
---
Core i5-750 @ 2.66GHz| 1.2GB GTX 570| 4GB DDR3 RAM| 2x WD 500GB HDD| 1x WD 1TB HDD| EVGA P55 SLi| 750W PSU| Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate. Sony Playstation 3 80GB
#4archizzyPosted 9/12/2011 7:17:35 PM
LinkIsSpartan posted...
Ive got a 1080i TV with a max resolution of 1300 or something but it upscales to 1080p. What display setting should i keep it at? 720p? I mean i tried blops and it looks much better on xbox with 720p. Should i turn RGB full range to full or limited. What about Y Pb/cb pr? on or off? oh and dont forget deep color output.

my tvs model is 32lh20d. Id post a link here but im posting from my mobile and i dont know how to copy and paste.

Thanks for helping :-)

You have a 720p tv. Normally I would check all resolutions your tv supports as most games will boot up in 720p anyway. If you watch blu-ray movies it would depend on if the PS3 or your tv scales better and which component you want to downscale.

RGB should be set to limited and calibrate accordingly. Set superwhite to on and YPbPr/YCbCr should be taken out of automatic and set specifically to output Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr in the BD output section.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#5LinkIsSpartan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2011 7:44:22 PM
so turn ypbr off??
---
#6archizzyPosted 9/12/2011 7:46:57 PM
LinkIsSpartan posted...
so turn ypbr off??

The 3 choices are auto, RGB, or Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr

The default is auto, take it out of auto and set it to Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr
---
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#7archizzyPosted 9/12/2011 7:49:32 PM
By the way I'm talking about the settings that are under video settings for BD/DVD control.

The one under display settings is for superwhite, turn that on.
---
#8Golden MavenPosted 9/12/2011 7:52:55 PM
archizzy, in which situation would you recommend the "full" color space? Any computer monitor?
---
http://i.imgur.com/dfAob.gif
#9archizzyPosted 9/12/2011 7:59:33 PM(edited)
Golden Maven posted...
archizzy, in which situation would you recommend the "full" color space? Any computer monitor?

A monitor yes. The settings for the PS3 should be listed as PC and Video levels. Not Full and Limited. All the PS3 does is remap the values.

Even if a tv accepts PC levels if you calibrate the tv and the PS3 for PC levels you should end up the same as if you calibrate the tv and PS3 for video levels.

This is why we turn the Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr settings from auto to this because blu-ray is native YCC anyway and during movies the RGB setting is completely ignored. Due to a bug in the PS3 that I'm not sure if it was ever fixed the only way to pass BTB and WTW material was with Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr taken out of auto. Also again because blu-ray is native YCC anyway it makes sense.

Lastly about the whole "full/limited" thing while a tv calibrated for full with the ps3 at full will yield the same results as a tv calibrated to limited with the PS3 at limited it isn't good to set it up this way since your tv will now be calibrated to PC levels so unless you save and use different settings for tv watching or anything that isn't outputting PC levels (like when you play a blu-ray movie and it disregards this setting) your picture will be off.
---
#10LinkIsSpartan(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2011 8:14:47 PM
alright done, but what about Deep Color Output and Cross Color Reduction. Leave them off or on?
---