This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Top 5 Developers who Milk Game franchises to dryness

#1Paragon57Posted 9/13/2011 10:32:58 AM(edited)
With the advent of any great Game franchise comes the concept of Money making by extensively milking the franchise to dryness as Developers and Publishers find different ways to exploit the winning formula laid down by it.

Though this concept of utilizing the Fandom of the franchise to create boatloads of sequels definitely is rewarding to the Gamers but it definitely becomes stale after a couple of installments. The Publishers and Devs making games for the Current generation of Consoles have literally crossed the line when it comes milking of a franchise releasing Annual sequels with gameplay features and tweaks which should have been in the original installment and thereby limiting the uniqueness Games. Though there are Devs who have successfully created masterpieces but they are very scarce in number.

These are Quite possibly the Top 5 Franchises that have been milked to dryness by the Publishers.

Number 5: NEED FOR SPEED - ELECTRONIC ARTS

Number 4: PRINCE OF PERSIA - UBISOFT

Number 3: TOMB RAIDER - EIDOS, SQUARE ENIX

Number 2: FINAL FANTASY - SQUARE ENIX

Number 1: CALL OF DUTY - ACTIVISION

(Read more on why in link)

http://geniusanime.com/2011/09/13/top-5-developers-who-milk-game-franchises-to-dryness/

Agree? Disagree?

(BTW this is not my opinion, merely someone else's. Namely the Article Writer in the link.)
---
P a r a g o n 5 7 was here!
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7527/paragon.png
#2SoliquidusPosted 9/13/2011 10:17:34 AM
Disagree

Capcom should be #1 on that list
---
PS3 without Immersion lacks Rumble and PS3 without Rumble lacks Immersion. Finally Sony did the right thing
#3alistairfingersPosted 9/13/2011 10:18:05 AM
the only one i agree with is call of duty.
---
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII and Hyperdimension Neptunia
#4WILD_CHARIZARDPosted 9/13/2011 10:18:52 AM
The reality is Activision has been milking COD since the start. People only seem to think they started with COD4.
---
Wild Charizard ran away.
#5SuperMessyPosted 9/13/2011 10:21:26 AM
Where's Street Fighter?
#6phineasfoolPosted 9/13/2011 10:22:05 AM(edited)
Don't agree. Guitar Hero is a much better example of something milked to dryness. Also if a series is still selling millions of copies, it can't be considered dry.
---
"Take a dump on the face of common sense"
PSN - Phineasfool
#7x8finityPosted 9/13/2011 10:30:58 AM
I disagree with you for Final Fantasy franchise. in fact Square has made the tour de force of making this franchise new with each installment since the beginning.

For Tomb raider if we talk about the PS1 iterations, yes they milked it to the Core (Pun intended) but since Crystal Dynamics is at the helm of it each one is good.

I agree with you in the case of Call of Duty. It is beginning to be dry and dryer. But i also believe that's the gamers that want it that way. Sincerly they can't get enough of it.

Another series you didn't mention that have gone the dried way is Guitar Hero. Each one is merely a new playlist from the last one.
#8rodwipeisdeadPosted 9/13/2011 10:32:45 AM
SE aren't very good at milking their franchises are they? I would have thought their little affair with Disney would have taught them about reeling in the masses by giving away crappy plastic toys with hamburgers.
---
What are all these knobs for?
To put their hands in the air.
#9rigicePosted 9/13/2011 10:45:41 AM(edited)
My list is a little different, but please bear with me:

5. Ubisoft - Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia
4. Square Enix - Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts
3. EA - Madden, Sims, Battlefield
2. Activision - Tony Hawk, 'Insert musical instrument' Hero, Call of Duty
1. Capcom - Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Megaman, Vs games, Devil May Cry

This is just my opinion though.
---
"Tetris: that rampant sexual symbolism, inserting a piece into a slot repeatedly, is downright vulgar. Game needs an AO rating." LGCulgan
#10babyeatermaxPosted 9/13/2011 10:34:44 AM
Horrible list. It's hilarious how Pokemon always gets a free pass.