This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Buying everything I can digitally, is it a mistake?

#1XystencePosted 9/18/2011 10:59:54 PM
I really support the transition to digital personally because it takes up so much less space in my home and whenever I take my PS3 somewhere those games go with it.

Do we think this is good or bad though? I personally think its great, I look at it like Steam or the App store. I bought stuff many many years ago on Steam and can still access and play after many of OS changes. Do we think Sony and or Microsoft will move their digital media forward to the next consoles? Or will they start over next ten and make everything either something needing repurchase or won't work at all?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
#2Golden MavenPosted 9/18/2011 11:01:22 PM
My only concern is the "life" of digital copies. Once the PS5 is out... Will you be able to play those games without complications?
---
http://i.imgur.com/dfAob.gif
#3poopninjamvc3mkPosted 9/18/2011 11:04:32 PM
Just know that if you ever get banned, you lose all access to your download games and other media. And I can't forget to mention online drm for some games, otherwise have fun with buying everything digitally.
---
WelcometoPlaystation where daplayersplay,and360sredring likeeveryday. Bigfeatures hitexclusives,seehaterstrollin,and CODdon'tstoptill8indamorning.-Starbucks_Fan
#4SayoriaPosted 9/18/2011 11:04:59 PM
Golden Maven posted...
My only concern is the "life" of digital copies. Once the PS5 is out... Will you be able to play those games without complications?

This, also, if you are banned from PSN or forget your password and all the details to get your account back....well then..... possible 1000+ in cash towards games down the chute.
#5NecrosexuaIPosted 9/18/2011 11:05:17 PM
this, plus price and a load of other issues i have with digital copies, that i can't be arsed to think of off the top of my head. three main issues, price, life and lack of physical, tangible copy. i'm an out-of-sight, out-of-mind person, if i don't see it, i don't remember it and i don't play it.
---
ANGRY**** BY NATURE, CHILL BY CIGARETTES
ONE PART THE FUHRER, ONE PART THE POPE -- vspominai menja
#6SpotlessedenPosted 9/18/2011 11:06:09 PM
Golden Maven posted...

if you still have a ps3, you can still play them. if PS5 support them, you can play them rather they are digital or hard copy.
#7zyrax2301Posted 9/18/2011 11:06:20 PM
Emulators are much easier to make than backward-compatible hardware. I don't think that will be a problem.

The only thing that bothers me about DD games are the bandwidth needed to get them (my country has pretty low bandwidth caps) and the hard space required to store them. And they can't be backed up, to save you from downloading them again.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#8SayoriaPosted 9/18/2011 11:08:00 PM
Spotlesseden posted...
Golden Maven posted...

if you still have a ps3, you can still play them. if PS5 support them, you can play them rather they are digital or hard copy.

Which leads to another question. Keeping PSN alive decades later on the PS3 will still be costing Sony cash, so I would believe eventually, they would shut down the PS3 from the PSN.
#9AlltraPosted 9/18/2011 11:08:12 PM
"This, also, if you are banned from PSN or forget your password and all the details to get your account back....well then..... possible 1000+ in cash towards games down the chute."

I'd only be concerned about this if/when they require you to be on PSN to access the content you've downloaded. As it stands now, I don't believe that to be the case, which is why I could still play my PSOne Classics even when PSN was down during the outage.
---
My interpretation of reality is different than yours. Don't destroy my reality, even if you consider it a fantasy.
#10doraemonllh1989Posted 9/18/2011 11:08:12 PM
Spotlesseden posted...
Golden Maven posted...

and thats the main problem
---
AMD phenomx4 9650| 9800gt 1 gig ddr3 | Corsair TwinX 2 gig ram ddr2 800mhz | ASUS M2N-E