This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can the PS3 play PS2 or PS1 games? Click here to find out! (Please sticky)

#1wvnative03Posted 9/23/2011 1:42:27 PM
There have been many topics and questions and misinformation concerning backwards compatibility on the PS3. Here I will cover all points of Backwards compatibility. BC = Backwards compatibility

Q: Can the PS3 play PS2 games?

A: Only the early models can, the original launch 60gb and 20gb have full PS2 hardware inside them and thus can play just about every ps2 game, the 80gb with 4 USB ports that came with Metal Gear Solid 4 used only partial hardware so PS2 games have slightly more trouble playing, however most games still work fine. Note: to this date the PS3 slim CANNOT PLAY PS2 GAMES, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE.

Q: What the heck do you mean just about?

A: It isn't a PS2 so no matter how good the BC is, it won't be perfect. Although firmware updates have fixed a large number of issues. (When I first got my 60gb, the ps3 would not read Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3. Since a certain update however the game now plays flawlessly) If you want to play a PS2 game using the PS3 and you are worried the game may have a problem, check this site

http://us.playstation.com/support/compatiblestatus/index.htm

Q: This is slightly confusing, is there a cheap trick to know if my PS3 can play PS2 games?

A: But of course! You can either A: Check the USB ports, so far if the PS3 has 4 USB ports it will play PS2 games, if it only has 2 USB ports, your SOL. Or B: Insert a PS2 game in the PS3 and see what happens, it won't hurt anything except the PS3s feelings!

Q: Alright I got it, so why is Sony forcing me to rebuy my old PS1 games that I still have?

A: There seems to be more confusion over this than the PS2 BC. They aren't forcing you, many of my PSN buddies as well as friends IRL end up buying PS1 games off the PSN store because they didn't know that EVERY SINGLE PS3 MODEL IN EXISTENCE CAN PLAY PS1 DISCS! The PSN store is simply there so you can maybe buy games that you missed out on in the PS1 days since you can't really find PS1 games at the local gamestop anymore.

Q: Well crap, I am one of those people. Well at least my PSN version has enhancements and bugfixes...right? Right?

A: Nope, Sony just rips the game off the discs and posts them on the store. The only possible difference is that because its on your HDD, it may load SLIGHTLY faster. That is all.

Q: That is awesome brah. And guess what? My buddy says there is a download on the PSN store that lets you play PS2 games on non-BC models!

A: Stop now! That download is for PS3 models that already have PS2 BC, it is for PS2 games that required the Hard Drive the PS2 Hard Drive add-on. The only two games I know of that require it are Socom and Final Fantasy XI Online. The PS2 HDD kinda failed which is why there are only two games that use it.

Q: What about the video on youtube that shows that it works?

A: The video lies and who ever made it must have already had a PS3 that could play PS2 games, he just did it to get views.
---
Proud owner of a launch 60gb PS3 that is still ALIVE and doing...decent.
#2wvnative03(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2011 1:42:38 PM
Q: I am a playstation fanboy, bought the PS1 on launch day, bought the PS2 on launch day. I have enjoyed hundreds of good and crappy playstation games alike, but am I expected to lose 15 years of gamesaves even if I buy a BC PS3?

A: Never fear my fellow friend, Sony released a memory card adapter to transfer saves to any PS3, that's right, even though the Slim as well as other ps3 models cannot play PS2 games, you can transfer both PS1 and PS2 saves to any PS3 system using this adapter. You can buy it here, it's only $15 bucks new.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Memory-Card-Adaptor/dp/B000K1GZIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292089708&sr=8-1

Okay amazon lists it for $28 well you can buy it from a seller to get a better price.

Q: You have been epic in helping me understand all this, one more question though, can I use cheat devices?

A: First of all, being epic is how I roll. Secondly, that is a difficult question. I know from experience that the PS1 DISC-BASED gameshark works, and the PS2 codebreaker Version 9.1 works. Action replay certainly will not because you need the weird memory card to boot it up which the PS3 memory card adapter won't read. I am sure the other codebreaker versions work though. I have experienced freezing SOMETIMES with codebreaker. Just reset and try again if it freezes. Oh I forgot to mention, you can only use pre loaded codes with codebreaker. If you try going online or use a USB stick to transfer codes it will freeze. You can however, enter new codes manually. Not sure if you can save them, I think you can. As for the PS2 game shark, I have not tried, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Let me know if I need to add any more information involving backwards compatibility.
---
#3chrisat928Posted 9/23/2011 1:44:08 PM
Is it 2006?
---
PSN: chrisproto (teh-nook.com)
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional.
#4wvnative03(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2011 1:45:27 PM
If it were 2006, this topic wouldn't be necessary.
---
#5Izick_the_SpyPosted 9/23/2011 1:48:50 PM

Is it 2006?

My thoughts exactly. What's next? "The Official PS3 Midnight Launch Topic. PLEASE STICKY "

Q: You have been epic in helping me understand all this,

A: First of all, being epic is how I roll. .

http://i.imgur.com/kBle0.jpg
---
Pic is related- http://i.imgur.com/zaO8N.gif
#6Thermador446Posted 9/23/2011 2:04:08 PM
FAQs
---
Im sorry but Im not equipped to reach a conclusion regarding that assessment at this time and whats more let me add that Iwill explode your head for saying that
#7Trespasser2003Posted 9/23/2011 2:40:35 PM
Does my ps2 play ps3 games?
---
scott came. ugly face so killed him. 4// itchy. tasty.
#8VecturinPosted 9/23/2011 2:43:24 PM
chrisat928 posted...
Is it 2006?

considering he talks about the PS3 Slim in his post, I'd say this is not a joke topic
---
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!" did you not understand?
#9GM_Posted 9/23/2011 2:44:37 PM
Trespasser2003 posted...

Only if the game has a blue bottom. Because it's Blu Ray!
---
Current playing: Resident Evil 3, Final Fantasy XIII, MGS:PO+
#10Trespasser2003Posted 9/23/2011 2:48:54 PM
GM_ posted...
Trespasser2003 posted...

Only if the game has a blue bottom. Because it's Blu Ray!

THANK YOU for being so knowledgable!
---
scott came. ugly face so killed him. 4// itchy. tasty.