This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ey PS3 bambinos! Let's talk about jaggies on the PS3.

#1Agent_GreerPosted 9/23/2011 7:25:30 PM
Why is the PS3 incapable of automatically implementing anti-aliasing?

Deus Ex Human Revolution, first of all is one of my favorite games of all time, but as you and I can clearly see, the shadow at Tai Young Medical is horrendously jagged. I don't have a 360 shot comparison, but I don't remember it looking like this.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79/Vanquish_Souls/Photoon2011-09-23at16302.jpg
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79/Vanquish_Souls/Photoon2011-09-23at1630.jpg
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79/Vanquish_Souls/tym.jpg

(posted with my Macbook's crappy webcam)

And I'm wondering why every shadow or every straight line in the game doesn't look like that either.

I'm not a graphics whore and don't care about graphics, but something like this just pops out of the screen and is clear as day. So, talk about jaggies, what games have them the worst, comparisons between PS3 and 360 versions, whatever.
#2XeonexFlashPosted 9/23/2011 7:28:20 PM
Some PS3 games do have bad jaggies, but jaggies in games like Deus Ex, you don't really notice unless you actually try to locate it....I mean you may have occasional spots that stick out, but my point still stands.
---
It's very strange when the life you never had flashes before your eyes. -Mental Imagery.
#3Teepo64Posted 9/23/2011 7:30:14 PM
I thought the Simpson's Game was pretty jaggy plus the platforming and camera made me nauseous.
---
Official Grand Master in the art of counter-trolling. Post on my boards if you want to play.
#4Agent_Greer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2011 7:30:22 PM
XeonexFlash posted...
Some PS3 games do have bad jaggies, but jaggies in games like Deus Ex, you don't really notice unless you actually try to locate it....I mean you may have occasional spots that stick out, but my point still stands.
I didn't have to look, the jaggies in those pics immediately stood out while playing.

Granted, it's not usually nearly this bad, just occasional spots.
#5XeonexFlashPosted 9/23/2011 7:35:59 PM
That's why I said occasional spots... XD?
---
It's very strange when the life you never had flashes before your eyes. -Mental Imagery.
#6Agent_Greer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2011 7:40:42 PM
XeonexFlash posted...
That's why I said occasional spots... XD?
Agent_Greer posted...
Granted, it's not usually nearly this bad, just occasional spots.
this
#7InfernoSDPosted 9/23/2011 7:45:08 PM
In any game, shadows often turn out way jaggier than polygons. It's done to save rendering time, since it goes unnoticed except in rare cases like these.
---
|| ||\ || ||"" ||"" ||"") ||\ || /''''\
|| || \|| ||"" ||, ||""\ || \|| \,,,/
#8Agent_Greer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2011 7:46:41 PM
InfernoDragon posted...
In any game, shadows often turn out way jaggier than polygons. It's done to save rendering time, since it goes unnoticed except in rare cases like these.
Oh, I see. So then why aren't most of the other shadows in DEHR like that though? Or are they?
#9NiBuEAPosted 9/23/2011 7:47:53 PM
Shadow pixelation come from low shadow resolution. Something like that is probably just 256x256. Increasing shadow res to something like 1024x1024 can help but that's not really within the PS3's capabilities for every shadow.

Deus Ex has MLAA so you wont get too much edge aliasing, though some shimmering.
#10Agent_Greer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/23/2011 7:50:54 PM
I didn't know DEHR had MLAA, but I do still see jaggies, especially on the tops of laptops and such, where the straight lines will have 'steps'.