This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it me or....?

#1cheatermasterPosted 9/24/2011 5:48:15 PM
In a lot of video games, are all antagonists portrayed that despite their actions being wrong, they're not entirely evil? I mean I even heard that villains and antagonists are sort of different because antagonists means just because they oppose the protangonists, doesn't mean they're downright pure evil. I swear a number of games have bad guys where while they're evil, sometimes their actions aren't entirely evil. It's even the same thing with protagonists. They may be the protagonists, but they did things that aren't heroic at all. Like the protagonists from any Grand Theft Auto game or John Marston from Red Dead Redemption and so forth.

It isn't just with video games. Even a lot of movies, maybe even a number of tv shows, maybe cartoons as well and any other form of media seems to show that antagonists aren't entirely evil, while protagonists aren't entirely good either. An example would be the Megami Tensei cause that series uses law, neutral and chaos or something like that. I guess another example is the demons in the Disgaea seris are portrayed that they aren't entirely evil as well.

Is it me or with video games, movies, tv shows, comics I guess and so forth, does the concept of good and evil no longer exists these days?? I mean when I was a kid I watched those cartoons with good guys beating the bad guys and saw how bad the villain was and how good the good guy was. But with the way good and evil are portrayed where the protagonists isn't always good and even the antagonists isn't as evil, I'm begining to wonder if all those years of thinking good and evil was simple to understand was pointless?! Cause I'm starting to think there's no such thing as good an evil anymore with all these movies, video games and so forth these days.
#2peter_888Posted 9/24/2011 5:50:15 PM
cheatermaster posted...
In a lot of video games, are all antagonists portrayed that despite their actions being wrong, they're not entirely evil? I mean I even heard that villains and antagonists are sort of different because antagonists means just because they oppose the protangonists, doesn't mean they're downright pure evil. I swear a number of games have bad guys where while they're evil, sometimes their actions aren't entirely evil. It's even the same thing with protagonists. They may be the protagonists, but they did things that aren't heroic at all. Like the protagonists from any Grand Theft Auto game or John Marston from Red Dead Redemption and so forth.

It isn't just with video games. Even a lot of movies, maybe even a number of tv shows, maybe cartoons as well and any other form of media seems to show that antagonists aren't entirely evil, while protagonists aren't entirely good either. An example would be the Megami Tensei cause that series uses law, neutral and chaos or something like that. I guess another example is the demons in the Disgaea seris are portrayed that they aren't entirely evil as well.

Is it me or with video games, movies, tv shows, comics I guess and so forth, does the concept of good and evil no longer exists these days?? I mean when I was a kid I watched those cartoons with good guys beating the bad guys and saw how bad the villain was and how good the good guy was. But with the way good and evil are portrayed where the protagonists isn't always good and even the antagonists isn't as evil, I'm begining to wonder if all those years of thinking good and evil was simple to understand was pointless?! Cause I'm starting to think there's no such thing as good an evil anymore with all these movies, video games and so forth these days.

there's still some evil characters. For one, I think Hazama seem to be pretty evil in Blazblue.
---
I'm a gamer dang it, not a pc gamer or a console gamer, just a gamer.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Peter47890
#3cheatermaster(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2011 6:03:51 PM
Good and evil still does exist?
#4cheatermaster(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2011 6:48:55 PM
No one cares about the whole "villains aren't entirely evil and good guys aren't entirely heroic" thing?
#5PorungaPosted 9/24/2011 6:51:13 PM
it's old news.
#6SoliquidusPosted 9/24/2011 7:01:42 PM
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Solid Snake vs Solidus Snake
Solidus was really evil to me. It wasn't just a matter of him having intentions that differ from Solid. He was just evil man

Bioshock
The Villain in Bioshock was pretty evil to me

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Ryu Hayabusa vs Fiends, Greater Fiends and the Archfiend
Classic Good vs Evil here

Half Life 2
A Species that wants to wipe out the entire human race sounds pretty evil to me

Ratchet and Clank
Yes.....I am serious. It may be Comical Humor, but Nefarious is evil. Not to mention that previous Villains like Drekk were evil as well
---
PS3 without Immersion lacks Rumble and PS3 without Rumble lacks Immersion. Finally Sony did the right thing
#7ZangetsugaPosted 9/24/2011 9:45:33 PM
Have you played a game where the story involved the bad guys wiping out humanity because it's part of the cycle?
---
There's no "I" in "TEAM," but there's an "I" in "WIN."
3DS FC - 4554-0129-0757
#8A_Nonny_MoosePosted 9/24/2011 9:47:20 PM

No one cares about the whole "villains aren't entirely evil and good guys aren't entirely heroic" thing?

You got it.
---
http://razielsdomain.forumotion.net
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png