This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I think we are all forgetting the real winner of best RPG this year...

#21DrSickDuckPosted 9/27/2011 10:29:37 AM
Tekken is and RPG.

Megaman is an RPG.

CoD is an RPG.

Madden is an RPG.

Need for Speed is an RPG.

Yeah, I went all over there.
---
i3-550@4.0Ghz -- MSI 460 Cyclone -- 8Gb G. Skill RAM -- Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb -- Antec TP-650 -- Lian-Li A05 -- EVGA P55 Micro
#22M1AstrayPosted 9/27/2011 10:33:15 AM
Opening post didn't contain Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, therefore the opening post is wrong.

^_^
---
Currently Playing: Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten (PS3) Pokemon White (DS)
Anticipating: SoulCalibur V, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Skyrim (PS3 versions)
#23GhalionPosted 9/27/2011 10:34:08 AM
Minecraft isn't an RPG.
In the land of videogames, RPGs are NOT defined by the same qualities as a non-videogame RPG (such as dungeons and dragons). Though what does define them isn't really clear. Wikipedia had a great article discussing how they weren't the same under videogame RPG. But now it appears some numnuts (probably working for IGN or something) got rid of it and makes it look like they are similar. blah.

But anyway, back up to NES-era. There was a game called Zelda 2, you played as link, you got skills, you leveled up/had experience, it had NPCs (though they'd only say 1 line). Yet this was not an RPG, it was considered adventure.

It seems that nowdays people just don't even use the term "Adventure" anymore for videogame genres, instead they slap on "RPG", I personally don't even think dark souls is an RPG so much as an adventure with RPG elements (all adventure games have more RPG elements now IMO). Though it's definitely in the area where nobody should really fault someone to claim otherwise.

I should probably just give up, that wiki article said it better than I ever could >=(. Seriously, that guy should be hanged.
#24AlltraPosted 9/27/2011 11:59:19 AM
Action / Adventure games, and Action RPGs....

They're practically the same type of game. The Legend of Zelda games are a great example of how blurred the line between these two genres is. In terms of game play they're almost identical.

Dark Souls falls in this category as well, it could be considered an Action RPG, or an Action / Adventure game.
---
My interpretation of reality is different than yours. Don't destroy my reality, even if you consider it a fantasy.
#25jaygoodPosted 9/27/2011 12:05:25 PM
No no THIS is (most underrated) RPG of the year

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/divinity-ii-the-dragon-knight-saga
---
Currently playing: Dante's Inferno (PS3)
GT/PSN: Quadrunner76
#26DrSickDuckPosted 9/27/2011 12:10:17 PM
jaygood posted...

Ego Draconis released in 2010, so that doesn't count as RPG of 2011. The one you linked to is just a patched version with an expansion. Doesn't really count as an entirely new game.
---
i3-550@4.0Ghz -- MSI 460 Cyclone -- 8Gb G. Skill RAM -- Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb -- Antec TP-650 -- Lian-Li A05 -- EVGA P55 Micro
#27jaygoodPosted 9/27/2011 12:11:55 PM
DrSickDuck posted...
jaygood posted...

Ego Draconis released in 2010, so that doesn't count as RPG of 2011. The one you linked to is just a patched version with an expansion. Doesn't really count as an entirely new game.

Not true its an all new game engine as well. =)
---
Currently playing: Dante's Inferno (PS3)
GT/PSN: Quadrunner76
#28GarlikBakery(Topic Creator)Posted 9/27/2011 12:27:35 PM
I was merely joking about Minecraft being Best RPG. But, yea Adventure game does make sense, thanks for clearing that up for me... forget about those games...
---
When boobs are involed, we are all brothers.
Owns: Xbox 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii