This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it ok to put a slim on the carpet?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Is it ok to put a slim on the carpet?

User Info: PhoenixRush

PhoenixRush
5 years ago#1
This whole time I've had my slim on a table, and the system of course gets pretty hot in the back after a while. But I have company coming and I need to clear the table off so people can use it, but they also want to play PS3. There won't be a fire or anything will there? God do I sound paranoid. <_<
October 24th, gaming's most badass character returns with more skills in kicking ass and dancing than ever before. And he's not alone. BE READY.

User Info: SamcroReaper

SamcroReaper
5 years ago#2
It's never a good idea to put any piece of electronics on the carpet.

User Info: jammies

jammies
5 years ago#3
Carpet conducts electricity. At least put a piece of wood under it.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx

User Info: JoveHack

JoveHack
5 years ago#4
jammies posted...
Carpet conducts electricity. At least put a piece of wood under it.

Carpet's also a good insulator, so heat build-up is something to worry about.

If it's cool and dry, the carpet will be generating static electricity as people walk on it. Be prepared to lose the PS3 permanently to a static shock.

Finally, carpet with a lot of people walking on it will kick up a lot of dust. Dust doesn't usually rise very high. Instead it stays low where the PS3 will suck it all in with its fan-forced cooling. That's probably a year's worth of dust, or more.'

Now if you're already having problems with the console, this would be a good way to finish it off. Otherwise, find some other place, high up if possible, to put the system. On top of a bookcase is good, if there's one close enough. (You do have wireless controllers, right?)

Just set it on a chair/stool nearby. Even a tall cardboard box will work.

Or just put it on the carpet and see if it melts. You might be fine.

Jove the Sleep Depraved.

User Info: PhoenixRush

PhoenixRush
5 years ago#5
I put it on the system's own box. The rear of the system shouldn't have much dust kicked up since it's where people don't walk. Thanks everyone.
October 24th, gaming's most badass character returns with more skills in kicking ass and dancing than ever before. And he's not alone. BE READY.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Is it ok to put a slim on the carpet?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived