This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it ok to put a slim on the carpet?

#1PhoenixRushPosted 10/2/2011 6:36:23 AM
This whole time I've had my slim on a table, and the system of course gets pretty hot in the back after a while. But I have company coming and I need to clear the table off so people can use it, but they also want to play PS3. There won't be a fire or anything will there? God do I sound paranoid. <_<
---
October 24th, gaming's most badass character returns with more skills in kicking ass and dancing than ever before. And he's not alone. BE READY.
#2SamcroReaperPosted 10/2/2011 6:37:12 AM
It's never a good idea to put any piece of electronics on the carpet.
#3jammiesPosted 10/2/2011 6:39:29 AM
Carpet conducts electricity. At least put a piece of wood under it.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#4JoveHackPosted 10/2/2011 7:16:44 AM
jammies posted...
Carpet conducts electricity. At least put a piece of wood under it.

Carpet's also a good insulator, so heat build-up is something to worry about.

If it's cool and dry, the carpet will be generating static electricity as people walk on it. Be prepared to lose the PS3 permanently to a static shock.

Finally, carpet with a lot of people walking on it will kick up a lot of dust. Dust doesn't usually rise very high. Instead it stays low where the PS3 will suck it all in with its fan-forced cooling. That's probably a year's worth of dust, or more.'

Now if you're already having problems with the console, this would be a good way to finish it off. Otherwise, find some other place, high up if possible, to put the system. On top of a bookcase is good, if there's one close enough. (You do have wireless controllers, right?)

Just set it on a chair/stool nearby. Even a tall cardboard box will work.

Or just put it on the carpet and see if it melts. You might be fine.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved.
#5PhoenixRush(Topic Creator)Posted 10/2/2011 7:28:35 AM
I put it on the system's own box. The rear of the system shouldn't have much dust kicked up since it's where people don't walk. Thanks everyone.
---
October 24th, gaming's most badass character returns with more skills in kicking ass and dancing than ever before. And he's not alone. BE READY.