This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are you all a bunch of corporate yuppies?

#1redsox_in_06Posted 10/14/2011 10:41:38 AM
I swear, every day I see a few topics on here about how buying used games or reselling your games is bad for or even killing the video game industry. Really?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2007/08/gaming-to-surge-50-percent-in-four-years-possibly.ars

I think it's a result of the fact that at one point playing video games was a niche hobby. But it isn't anymore so I can't understand why 90% of the people here feel the need to "protect" the industry by buying all your games new.

I buy some of my games new, and I buy some of my games used. And if I know I won't play a game again, I sell it. And yet game developers keep making games, and Sony keeps supporting the PS3 and is probably developing a new console. So, to all the people that buy all games new and frown upon doing anything else, why do you feel this way?
---
psn: redsox3553
#2ChaingunmasterPosted 10/14/2011 10:46:06 AM
I'm buying games like Catherine new, because I know that in three months time it will cost twice what it did new for a used copy.
---
http://www.twitter.com/Alos88- follow me and I'll follow you
PSN and XBL id: Alos88
#3gjc2007Posted 10/14/2011 10:52:35 AM
I by new and used, but I never buy day 1 anymore. I refuse to pay the full premium price only to be blocked from accessing content. I buy new after the price drops at least to $40 now, and I buy used when I see a the Buy 2 get 1 Free (or something similar) deals. If I don't think I'll play the game again then I trade it in when I can take advantage of some bonuses and use the credit towards picking something else up.

I have seen absolutely nothing though to lead me to believe that the 2nd hand market is actually harmful to the gaming industry when never in the history of ANY OTHER INDUSTRY has that been the case.

Spread the link in my sig as much as possible. Get as many people to read what I said in that blog post.
---
Why used games don't hurt the industry and why content passes are bull****: http://www.gametrailers.com/users/Noobiablos/gamepad/?action=viewblog&id=563106
#4Harvin_TimePosted 10/14/2011 10:56:29 AM
I like what some companies are doing now-- selling new games at a discount with the passage of time. Most people can not afford the time or money to buy and play all AAA titles. I would not buy any Assassins creed game for a new title price because it is not my type of game, even though it is a good game, but I did buy it for 10$ new a few years later and played and payed for it and was happy to do so. If most game makers release the games with a CE editions to start, and then regular editions with steep discounts over time-- there would be significantly less used game sales, especially if later reduced editions came with bonus content or dlc included. My opinion only....
---
Now playing: GTA Chinatown Wars(PSP), Deus EX 3 (PS3)
#5Lord ZhouYuPosted 10/14/2011 11:07:03 AM
I couldn't care less for the business aspect; too much money is put into making games, which keeps their price up, and they still manage to lack content compared to older ones. Cases in point are Call of Duty and Medal of Honor: Both awesome games... For about seven to ten hours. The rest of it is supposed to rely on multiplayer and the endless drama and frustration that comes with it. You have some games like Star Ocean 4 that are worth the price, but that's not what sells, so that's not what's made.

Then you've got Nintendo games which tend to be cheaper... But unsurprisingly so. A used copy of Pokémon Fire Red or Leaf Green comes at about half the price of Black or White, but at more than twice my pleasure, so the same problem exists. If they used a Nintendo budget(Okay, double a Nintendo budget...) to make real, non-Nintendo games, "supporting the industry" would be more palettable.

I don't resell my games, though; I don't have the time or money to waste playing a video game if I don't like the game enough to keep it, so I study potential purchases very closely before committing to buy them.
---
The only people who say good and evil are relative are people who want to excuse their evil, and an excuse not to do good.
#6alistairfingersPosted 10/14/2011 11:08:20 AM
I only buy new when I know a game will go out of print fast. I buy two and leave one sealed. My two most recent examples would be the collections editions of Disgaea 4 and Atelier Totori.
---
Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked and Atelier Totori
#7MickleohbPosted 10/14/2011 11:08:46 AM
I feel like very few people say that used games are killing the video game market... I think most of the "corporate yuppies" are just fine with online passes and those types of things. I for one am fine with online passes because they give an incentive to buy the game new but you're still free to buy used.

I don't see why people act so violated over online passes and the like. People seem to say that it's corporate greed, but the people who are upset are just as greedy. They want to pay less for the game while getting all the content. Greed is greed, so I don't really care. These are video games, they're a luxury and you don't need to buy them. But if you are at such a financial state that a $10 pass is actually a significant cost, then wait another month for another price drop.
---
"I've got half a mind to kill you...and the other half agrees" Church from RvB
PSN:Mickleohb GT:MickleohbLite
#8ocelot562Posted 10/14/2011 11:15:47 AM
I think your getting the wrong message here. People tend to frown on those who support gamestop. Not buying used altogether...I hope.

Anyways. I buy new. Can't/don't want to buy @ 60$? Then wait for a price drop.
---
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
W. C. Fields
#9regsantotomasPosted 10/14/2011 11:20:49 AM
Corporate yuppies? My car phone blushes.

The fact of the matter is that there are multiple parties that all have vested interest with regards to used games. Some people will argue that it's only corporate shills, greedy devs, evil Gamestop, or whiny consumers that are the problem

The reality is that each group is trying to get the most benefit.

Consumers obviously want the best prices for their gaming. In many cases, that is used game purchases. Many of these consumers would have never bought the new counterpart in the first place for whatever reason. They are simply taking advantage of the best possible bang for their buck.

Resellers like Gamestop are taking advantage of the market as provided to them. Clearly there is a demand for these used games. They no more or less greedy than the other parties as they are out for their own self-interest.

Publishers are trying to maximize their profits and they perceive that there is a portion of used game sale that could have been spent on new game sales where they see direct benefit. Strategies like online pass attempt to circumvent used game sales and promote more new game sales. Whether that strategy actually pays off remains to be seen.

I know that it's easier when you can demonize the other side but the fact of the matter is that the gaming industry is a symbiotic relationship between all these parties and all have a part to play.
---
http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/regsantotomas/Darkcharger%20stuff
If you threaten to quit gaming, please keep your promise ASAP.
#10redsox_in_06(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2011 11:21:27 AM
I'm against online passes because its charging twice for the same product, and no other entertainment industry gets away with that really.

It's like buying a movie but having to pay a surcharge to watch it on a TV other than your own, or having to pay additional charges for each device you put your MP3's on. The only reason they get away with the online passes is because we are forced to use their online servers, which is why you would never see it on PC games.
---
psn: redsox3553