This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Don't hate the 8/10

#1PhoenixmgsPosted 11/14/2011 8:51:32 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4966-Hate-Out-Of-Ten

Jim Sterling is right yet again. Over the last 5+ years, 99% of games have been overrated by at least 1 whole point where 8s, 9s, and even 10s are handed out like candy. An 8/10 should be a very good score, not seen as a disappointing or even a BAD score.
---
"Half of writing history is hiding the truth" - Malcolm Reynolds - Serenity
#2Agent_GreerPosted 11/14/2011 8:55:10 PM
fully agreed and i've been saying the same thing for a long time. games this gen are generally scored higher than they should be
---
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79/Vanquish_Souls/skyrimsword.png
#3PurelyDivinePosted 11/14/2011 8:56:30 PM
people's expectations are way too high these days. they are always expecting a better game than the last one they played, and if it isn't then they call it a flop or bash it
---
I love Deidara. She is so awesome - http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m560/theblaz1/THE_ULTIMATE.jpg
Latest Game Addiction - Xenoblade
#4TheRavenKC123Posted 11/14/2011 9:00:11 PM
Review scores mean nothing to me. Why would I need someone else to tell me what I like?
---
http://youtube.com/user/TheRavenKC
BioWare and Bethesda rule!
#5lambchipsPosted 11/14/2011 9:06:54 PM(edited)
like i said many years ago, games this gen is far too inflated
reviewers arent critical enough this gen

the only reviewers i bother with nowadays is eurogamer, because they are one of the few sources that still harshly review their games (if a game gets a 8 from them, you can bet its good)

i bet games only get inflated scores because of all the casual gamers coming in.... casual gamers are really the only gamers that takes scores too seriously without understanding where the score came from

---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#6kobalobasileusPosted 11/14/2011 9:19:51 PM
I think too many review outlets give perfect scores when a 9/10 would be more appropriate.

An 8/10 still denotes a good game that is worth buying, but it also denotes a share of problems that make the game worse than it could have been.

Personally, I consider anything from 7/10 to 10/10 as "good" and worth buying.
#7Phoenixmgs(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2011 9:21:57 PM

lthe only reviewers i bother with nowadays is eurogamer, because they are one of the few sources that still harshly review their games (if a game gets a 8 from them, you can bet its good)

Yeah, I agree, Eurogamer is one of the few good review sites. 8s should be very good games. And, there is no way 9s should be handed out on a weekly basis like we've seen over that past few weeks.
---
#8RPG maniac87Posted 11/14/2011 9:28:55 PM(edited)
Doing your own research and trying games for yourself is the best imo.
One of my favorite games Cross Edge got a 5/10 but I'd easily give it a 9.
They're entitled to their own opinion though.
---
You lack the mustache for full comprehension. (Super Paper Mario)
#9blackat87Posted 11/14/2011 9:40:31 PM
Eurogamer, but also Destructoid (the site Jim Sterling works for) is great for reviews. They will sometimes give out a ten (like Sterling did for the new Kirby) but their reviews are always honest and rational. And a 7/10 is considered a good game on that site.
---
"Were you parents related? Like before they were married?"- Conker
#10Phoenixmgs(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2011 9:49:43 PM(edited)

Doing your own research and trying games for yourself is the best imo.
One of my favorite games Cross Edge got a 5/10 but I'd easily give it a 9.
They're entitled to their own opinion though.

I didn't necessarily post this to show people you shouldn't trust game reviews. I posted this because of how messed game critics are compared to other mediums. Just go over to MetaCritic and try to find as many 90+ OVERALL review scores that games commonly get for movies, TV shows, and music.
---