This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JRPG's are dead? Obvious topic is obvious.

#1dylanbrandon286Posted 11/22/2011 7:50:41 AM
I dunno, I'm pretty sure I am not the only one who feels this way but the JRPG is about to go the way of the dodo. They flooded the market with games that have:

1. Generic Japanese Storylines.
2. Characters with stupid looking huge spiky hair.
3. 16-32bit graphics, cause apparently the Japanese can't get over the fact that the SNES golden age for JRPG's is over.
4. Combat structure that feeds off of every generic RPG imaginable, i'm sorry but turn-based combat is a thing of the past.
5. Stupidly long games, for no other reason then to be stupidly long (aka: dumb side missions, fetch quests, backtracking through previous areas, minigames, etc.)
6. Their obvious fetish with oversized, perfectly rounded breasts and 20th octave female voices that could break glass.

discuss I guess. I would like to see some people`s reasons why this genre wont die.
#2thisranksPosted 11/22/2011 7:58:14 AM(edited)
There are people who enjoy Japanese RPGs.

There are people who enjoy RPGs, period.

Does anything else need to really be said about this that wouldn't fall under the "regionally challenged" category while making the TC understand that some people find RPGs worth their time and money?

(Edit) Dead? Not to me.....never. The only thing i can see killing them off is the developers themselves stopping the creation of them. They know there is a group of people around the world who finds these games fascinating as well as fun.

Oh, and let the flamage begin because this topic screams flame war.
---
Where is the Gamefaqs version of Jerry Springer when you really need him?
#3Cyber Akuma ZeroPosted 11/22/2011 7:55:23 AM
Maybe because all of those "facts" are pure opinion and you are trying to pass your personal preferences as "proof" that JRPGs are not good games?
---
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile
#4Twilight_GavinPosted 11/22/2011 7:56:27 AM
same can be said about wrpgs

and sales of jrpgs say otherwise
#5Paragon57Posted 11/22/2011 7:57:51 AM(edited)
Turn-based is not 'a thing of the past' - what's wrong with you, man?!

And it's just pure opinion. Every genre can have the same thing said about them, because it's a matter of opinion. People enjoy these JRPGs - scratch that RPGs in general. There's nothing really wrong with that.
---
P a r a g o n 5 7 was here!
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7527/paragon.png
#6dylanbrandon286(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2011 7:57:22 AM
I`m not trying to start a flame war, just an opinion discussion about the future of the genre. It may seem like it is at the start, but I give valid points and ask people for input.

However you may be right, since all people do on gamefaqs now is get all butthurt because of opinions and start raging. That's okay though, I am expecting it.
#7-Damien-Posted 11/22/2011 7:58:19 AM
How can it be dead, when Demon's Souls and Dark Souls blow any WRPG game out of the water
#8dylanbrandon286(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2011 7:59:08 AM
Cyber Akuma Zero posted...
Maybe because all of those "facts" are pure opinion and you are trying to pass your personal preferences as "proof" that JRPGs are not good games?

Not once did I say my opinions are fact, IN FACT I said that I feel this way in the beginning. That should be an indicator to anyone with half a brain cell that these are opinions and nothing else. Please try harder next time.
#9thisranksPosted 11/22/2011 7:59:35 AM
dylanbrandon286 posted...
I`m not trying to start a flame war, just an opinion discussion about the future of the genre. It may seem like it is at the start, but I give valid points and ask people for input.

However you may be right, since all people do on gamefaqs now is get all butthurt because of opinions and start raging. That's okay though, I am expecting it.

================================
I might agree with you...however these topics pop up way too often to believe anything else.
---
Where is the Gamefaqs version of Jerry Springer when you really need him?
#10Cyber Akuma ZeroPosted 11/22/2011 8:04:15 AM
You seem to be rather angry and quickly lashing out in personal attacks, I hit it right on the nose didn't I? :P
---
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile