This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

JRPG's are dead? Obvious topic is obvious.

#61akuma634Posted 11/22/2011 8:28:03 PM
I think from the major companies like Square-Enix, they don't know how to create something that appeals to most gamers anymore. FF13 was a great example, it looked great but it was even more linear and constraining than FFX and their two attempts at MMORPGs have flopped hard because they're so far behind on genre standards. But when I see something of the Shin Megami Tensei name then it's always something very different from the tired genre cliches that we've been seeing since the SNES and even back then SMT games were freaking insane and unique to the times. If they get the ball running and make Persona 4, I think that could really show that there is still room for turn based JRPGs in the HD era. Final Fantasy on the other hand really needs to figure out how to get it back on track, I'd think making it much more cinematic like battles that look like Advent Children would be a step in the right direction, keep it menu based and have the outcome of each choice shown in a cut scene that looks like you're watching a movie. Just really try and amaze the player with the quality of what they're seeing and really blur the lines of computer animation and actual gameplay. Even if the story is laughable, they'd still have enough fans loving it for the presentation.
#62TikeioPosted 11/22/2011 8:33:14 PM
Spotlesseden posted...
Tikeio posted...
Spotlesseden posted...
JRPGs won't die because the top selling jrpgs sold more than the top wrpgs.
FFXIII, Dragon Quest IX, new Pokemon.

lol no. Flagship Pokemon games are the only JRPGs that vastly outsell WRPGs this gen.

DQ9 only sold a little over 5 million, and FFXIII only sold a little over 6 million.

Fallout 3 sold over 6 million, Oblivion sold over 6 million, Dragon Age sold over 5 million, Skyrim sold over 4 million in one week, Fable 2 sold over 4 million on the 360 alone, etc.

Most JRPGs flop sales wise, excluding the games you listed and Monster Hunter in Japan. So four JRPG series that don't flop is really nothing to brag about.

Last time I checked.... Hyperdimension whatever, Atelior, Tales, Rune Factory, Disgaea, Nier, Lost Odyssey, WKC, Eternal Sonata, Resonance of Fate, Cross Edge, Trinity Universe, Enchanted Arms, Last Rebellion didn't pull Pokemon or Final Fantasy numbers.

you just proved for me. Pokemon sold more than Fallout 3, FFXIII sold more than Oblivion, DQ9 sold more than Skyrim. So it won't die, until, all Western rpgs can sold all those jrpgs. I just answer the TC's answer. Don't be mad. he ask me on why jrpgs won't die. I give alot of numbers to prove that jrpgs can still sell millions.

No, you made it sound as if most JRPGs are big sellers when they're not. Not that I thonk JRPGs will "die" or anything.

Most Japanese devs make budget games for handhelds anyway. And the ones that make them on PS3/360 usually don't localize them. Maybe JRPGs will "die" in America due to the lack of localization, but they sure won't in Japan.

Don't be mad? lol Did you come to the conclusion that I was mad from reading my post? How cute.

FFXIII sold 6 million and so did Oblivion. Last time I checked, 6 million = 6 million. So how exactly did it sell "more?" lol

And Skyrim was released 10 days ago and already sold over 4 million, while DQ9 was released two years ago in Japan. Derp.

I like how you how you ignored the fact that Fallout 3 sold more than DQ9 though, and compared DQ9's sales with a 10 days old game instead.
---
lol @ gamefaqs' moderators: http://screensnapr.com/e/SuZRI4.png
#63RollingCradlePosted 11/22/2011 8:38:07 PM
I felt that The Last Remnant had the best combat out of RPGs this gen, followed by Lost Odyssey (the sluggish loading and frame rate hurts that one though) and a big shout out goes to Magna Carta 2's real time combat.
#64Schwepps01Posted 11/22/2011 8:42:01 PM
dylanbrandon286 posted...
I dunno, I'm pretty sure I am not the only one who feels this way but the JRPG is about to go the way of the dodo. They flooded the market with games that have:

1. Generic Japanese Storylines.
2. Characters with stupid looking huge spiky hair.
3. 16-32bit graphics, cause apparently the Japanese can't get over the fact that the SNES golden age for JRPG's is over.
4. Combat structure that feeds off of every generic RPG imaginable, i'm sorry but turn-based combat is a thing of the past.
5. Stupidly long games, for no other reason then to be stupidly long (aka: dumb side missions, fetch quests, backtracking through previous areas, minigames, etc.)
6. Their obvious fetish with oversized, perfectly rounded breasts and 20th octave female voices that could break glass.

discuss I guess. I would like to see some people`s reasons why this genre wont die.

How is this any different than any JRPG ever made...?
#65dylanbrandon286(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2011 9:47:01 PM
Schwepps01 posted...
I dunno, I'm pretty sure I am not the only one who feels this way but the JRPG is about to go the way of the dodo. They flooded the market with games that have:

3. 16-32bit graphics, cause apparently the Japanese can't get over the fact that the SNES golden age for JRPG's is over.
4. Combat structure that feeds off of every generic RPG imaginable, i'm sorry but turn-based combat is a thing of the past.
5. Stupidly long games, for no other reason then to be stupidly long (aka: dumb side missions, fetch quests, backtracking through previous areas, minigames, etc.)
6. Their obvious fetish with oversized, perfectly rounded breasts and 20th octave female voices that could break glass.

discuss I guess. I would like to see some people`s reasons why this genre wont die.

How is this any different than any JRPG ever made...?

omg thats my point............................
#66Lelouch71Posted 11/22/2011 9:54:15 PM
akuma634 posted...
I think from the major companies like Square-Enix, they don't know how to create something that appeals to most gamers anymore. FF13 was a great example, it looked great but it was even more linear and constraining than FFX and their two attempts at MMORPGs have flopped hard because they're so far behind on genre standards. But when I see something of the Shin Megami Tensei name then it's always something very different from the tired genre cliches that we've been seeing since the SNES and even back then SMT games were freaking insane and unique to the times. If they get the ball running and make Persona 4, I think that could really show that there is still room for turn based JRPGs in the HD era. Final Fantasy on the other hand really needs to figure out how to get it back on track, I'd think making it much more cinematic like battles that look like Advent Children would be a step in the right direction, keep it menu based and have the outcome of each choice shown in a cut scene that looks like you're watching a movie. Just really try and amaze the player with the quality of what they're seeing and really blur the lines of computer animation and actual gameplay. Even if the story is laughable, they'd still have enough fans loving it for the presentation.

Appeal to most gamers? FF is still selling millions. Most jrpgs developers would be happy to get half the sales that FFXIII got. SE doesn't know how to appeal to people's own unrealistic expectations. Every game has their fans and haters. There is nothing they can do about that. A game being good or bad comes down to the individual person but ultimately money talks. The only they can do is try their best to do better. FFXI was a huge success btw.

It's funny that you mention Persona 4. It overdoes it with the whole anime trope that some people complain about. The Persona series itself is divided among the P1/P2 fans and the P3/P4 fans. Hell some of the more veteran megaten fans despise the P3/P4 only fans. I even find myself being annoyed with them at times.

Anyway TC, the genre is alive and well. It continues to prosper on handhelds where it's cheaper to develop for and there is less risk. Only KH, FF, DQ, and Tales (Japan only) are big enough to be develop for the HD console siblings.
---
"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
#67dylanbrandon286(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2011 9:59:20 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
akuma634 posted...

Appeal to most gamers? FF is still selling millions. Most jrpgs developers would be happy to get half the sales that FFXIII got. SE doesn't know how to appeal to people's own unrealistic expectations. Every game has their fans and haters. There is nothing they can do about that. A game being good or bad comes down to the individual person but ultimately money talks. The only they can do is try their best to do better. FFXI was a huge success btw.

It's funny that you mention Persona 4. It overdoes it with the whole anime trope that some people complain about. The Persona series itself is divided among the P1/P2 fans and the P3/P4 fans. Hell some of the more veteran megaten fans despise the P3/P4 only fans. I even find myself being annoyed with them at times.

Anyway TC, the genre is alive and well. It continues to prosper on handhelds where it's cheaper to develop for and there is less risk. Only KH, FF, DQ, and Tales (Japan only) are big enough to be develop for the HD console siblings.

Thats all well and good but I just don't understand why we have to go back to overdone ideas in JRPG's. For example in that game that just released...something Neptunia, I dunno its a stupid name, they went back to random battles. I am sorry but random battles were getting old back when Chrono Trigger was released so going back to them now is just lazy.
#68kobalobasileusPosted 11/22/2011 11:18:19 PM

The market was flooded with crappy, generic anime storylines once RPGs became popular enough that we got more than the "best of the best" localized in other parts of the world. RPGs dominated the SNES, PS1, and PS2 for good reason: There were lots of good ones. Too much anime influence as well as paradigms redefined by FF7 and 8 (the stupid looking characters, etc.) made bad RPGs possible outside of Japan.

I happen to like 16 bit graphics, but there are plenty of RPGs that went full 3D Graphics Whore after FF7 and 8 made FMV fluff an integral part of the experience.

I love turn-based games because they are about strategy over twitch. At least they USED to be, before RPGs became so easy that mashing "attack" will win every battle. One of the reasons I like Arc Rise Fantasia so much is the battles actually require strategy again.

If you want someone to blame for fetch quests, look to Western-made World of Warcraft. None of these horrible quests existed until MMOs made grinding a central gameplay tenant instead of a necessary evil. I do hate minigames, though, and always have.

There is no such thing as "oversized" breasts. You monster.
#69VampiricDragon_Posted 11/23/2011 1:26:17 AM(edited)
You cant argue wrpgs have sold more worldwide this gen because that would be false.

You Cant argue there have been more 75+ reviewed jrpgs than wrpgs because you would be wrong again.

You Cant argue there have been more wprgs on the market worldwide this gen.

You cant argue all games are the same or else your a fool.

So how are jrpgs dead?

FY random battles are still pretty fun when done correctly and when done with tact. I couldnt imagine a pokemon game without them honestly.
---
Games to Watch: SRW OG 3,Dragon Quest X,Bravely Default,Fire Emblem 3DS,Kingdom Hearts DDD,Paper Mario 3ds,Inazuma Eleven Go, Suikoden PSP, Shining Blade PSP