This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Skyrim is having a negative effect on my Social Life... and I'm not playing it!

#1GarlikBakeryPosted 11/22/2011 4:30:03 PM
/startrant

This sucks. I go to a college and I'm very mad, bro. I don't like Skyrim since it looks like it is another Bethesda open world RPG (Never liked them, but I still understand why others do). Now, we know that you can sink tons of hours into the game... but this is starting to get ridiculous >.>

I have people taking up TVs in for public use to play a SINGLE PLAYER GAME. I have friends skipping out on classes I have with them, or even eating with them, to play this damn game. To make it all worse, I don't even like it! At least with Modern Warfare 3 you can play split screen!

I can get some of them to stop and do some schoolwork or even watch some kind of movie or hopefully get some Co-op action on the side. But it doesn't take long until Skyrim becomes an important (if not only) activity to take priority. It is so bad that one even skipped hanging out by saying they had to go to the bathroom and never return (which is why my friends call it "going to the bathroom" THEY ARE RENAMING AN ACTIVITY THAT MANY DO EVERY DAY TO A VIDEO GAME).

I've played single player games, but the ones I play are usually played in short bursts as they are either more arcade style, or are short linear adventures. Skyrim is such a problem though since there is plenty of land to discover along with a big leveling system all with too much to do. I'm not bashing this game, I'm trying to make sure that others understand the problem I am having. One guy even said that he had like 3 level 50 characters already and has skipped a ton of classes... I don't think he meant to boast that, but I actually felt depressed from a statement.

So, I give you all who may not understand the ramifications of playing such a game for long amounts of time...

If you are a person with friends...

If you are playing Skyrim (or any video game that is unable to be played with friends) for incredibly large amounts of time...

If you are playing the game more by skipping work/classes...

Please, think about your friends and your goals. Moderate your game time. There is plenty of time to play your game. Tamriel can wait.

/endrant

Sorry for sounding dramatic, now we can get back to complaining about everything else!
---
Dr. Garlik (AKA How I learned to stop getting lost and learned to love Linearity).
Currently working towards a Major in Game Development.
#2Twilight_GavinPosted 11/22/2011 4:31:59 PM
the type of person who plays skyrim all day is not the type of people u want to be around anyway
#3kamikaze135Posted 11/22/2011 9:49:26 PM
Just let them enjoy yourself and stop trying to suffocate them with your friendship. Give them space, bro.
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden
#4doraemonllh1989Posted 11/22/2011 9:56:25 PM
dont worry,when your game hit the lag issue you will stop playing eventually
---
AMD phenomx4 9650| 9800gt 1 gig ddr3 | Corsair TwinX 2 gig ram ddr2 800mhz | ASUS M2N-E
#5darkshadowmasterPosted 11/22/2011 9:57:48 PM
doraemonllh1989 posted...
dont worry,when your game hit the lag issue you will stop playing eventually

Nah, I'll just go back to my Rogue on the PC version.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#6firefoxts5Posted 11/22/2011 10:25:04 PM
TC it sounds to me like your jus ta whining little ***** if they like playing it deal with it or stfu.
---
psn: Overlord-Fox---gamertag: Overlord foxx---3DS FC-2921-9129-7744(firefoxts5)
#7AdmiralBisonPosted 11/22/2011 11:40:35 PM
well the warnings have been implied to others even by IGN, that you can say good bye to your social life if you're gonna dig Skyrim.

This shouldn't be a phenomenon, and I am surpirsed gamers here have never seen this before.

Everquest, WoW, Second Life, Counter Strike, Battlenet......
---
Peace, War, love, fear, insecurity,confidence, ignorance, Knowledge, courage- Human existence, power & responsibility rests in our hands not imaginary gods.
#8djblackicePosted 11/22/2011 11:43:13 PM
TC, use this button to get our your rage aka FUS RO DAH!

http://instantbutton.me/buttons/fus_roh_daaaa_20110225173413.html
---
Modern definition of "video games" - a subject by which 30+ year old men (with children) can troll message boards daily to fulfill their empty lives.
#9POOKISTANPosted 11/22/2011 11:48:07 PM
Oh my gward - That's f****** hilarious that they said they were going to the bathroom then just never came back...
#10KOTRwhoopsPosted 11/22/2011 11:50:45 PM
Twilight_Gavin posted...
the type of person who plays skyrim all day is not the type of people u want to be around anyway

But the to be fair this is quite hypocritical as the same can also be said for GameFAQs users. :)
---
PLAYING - Batman: AC (360), Sonic Generations (360), Skyrim (360)
MOST WANTED - Final Fantasy XIII-2 & Vrs XIII, Grand Theft Auto V, Jak & Daxter Col.