This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Transferring Data between PS3's

#1FlyingAce_24Posted 11/22/2011 8:56:26 PM
So I'm finally going to be moving out and getting my own place. The thing is, my brother and I share a PS3. So for Christmas, I'm going to surprise him with the 320GB Uncharted Bundle so we would each have our own.

I've read some stuff about transferring between PS3's. From what I understand, it seems like the data transfer transfers literally everything that is on the PS3 to the other and makes it so the source PS3 is not usable anymore (datawise that is). I was wondering if I could just transfer his data and not my data, or at the very least make it so I can still use my stuff. If I am just misinformed about this topic, please just let me know. Thanks in advance.
#2Killah PriestPosted 11/22/2011 8:57:26 PM
when I did the cable to cable transfer every single item on the old hard-drive remained intact.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3FlyingAce_24(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2011 9:04:01 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Was the all the data still usable on the old PS3?
#4Killah PriestPosted 11/22/2011 9:06:33 PM
it is (I ended up reformatting the "new" one and returning it because it was defective and I'm still using the old one to this day) although this goes against everything I've read about the transfer so it might have been just a glitch.
---
#5darkshadowmasterPosted 11/22/2011 9:18:15 PM
Any copy protected content is removed from the source when it is transferred. A way around that is just do a backup of your source PS3, do the transfer, then restore your source PS3.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#6Killah PriestPosted 11/22/2011 9:19:18 PM
Copy protected data remained intact on mine.
---
#7darkshadowmasterPosted 11/22/2011 9:20:30 PM
/shrug

Not on mine. It also warns you that certain content will be removed after transfer.
---
#8Killah PriestPosted 11/22/2011 9:28:22 PM
indeed it does, which is why I mentioned that it conflicted with other stories and might be a glitch.

probably shouldn't have said anything at all but figured it would at least draw more attention to the topic so it gets noticed faster.
---
#9nozomi429Posted 11/22/2011 9:30:49 PM
I'm curious about this too.

This is obviously a more pain way, but technically, can't you just take a memory stick and manually copy his files onto it, and put them on the new PS3?
---
Nozomi. Zombie. Argonian.
#10darkshadowmasterPosted 11/22/2011 9:31:31 PM
nozomi429 posted...
I'm curious about this too.

This is obviously a more pain way, but technically, can't you just take a memory stick and manually copy his files onto it, and put them on the new PS3?

As long as they aren't copy protected, yes.
---