This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamers, want to protect our rights use the Internet? Call congress, act now.

#1RevolutionVPosted 11/27/2011 1:17:36 AM
The United States Congress is being lobbied to change the rules about the ways the internet will be used in the future. This is nothing more than a way for big businesses to censor and control the way we use the internet, and it's they are using the "piracy" as one of the reason. We are all affected by these types of legislation. Call your senator and congress person. Here the link to the story. BTW, this is not left vs right, this will negatively affect all of us.

Wyden: Protect IP Act may pass if Americans donít call Congress

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/11/23/wyden-protect-ip-act-may-pass-if-americans-dont-call-congress/
#2ChipChippersonPosted 11/27/2011 3:19:23 AM
bumped
#3ShippoyashaPosted 11/27/2011 3:23:48 AM
I still wonder when the deadline for that bill is supposed to be. Well, that and the 'shadow bill' that the bill has.

It'd be scary if corporations control every aspect of a culture and their use. Like some kind of cyberpunk..
---
Rest in Peace, my beloved dog and family member 1999-2011
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/mppi0/can_you_guess_the_gender/
#4jammiesPosted 11/27/2011 3:29:49 AM
It would be a better article if it really explained what the bill will do. It's pretty vague in that respect.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#5OnslaughtXPosted 11/27/2011 3:32:50 AM

It'd be scary if corporations control every aspect of a culture and their use. Like some kind of cyberpunk..

Let's face it, they already control government, period.
---
I'm pretty sure that Hideo confirmed that you don't argue MGS semantics with Onslaught. - Serazee - backloggery.com/main.php?user=onslaughtx
#6AlltraPosted 11/27/2011 4:04:32 AM(edited)
The internet is not a right, it's a privilege. If you don't want them to take it away from you, don't misuse it.

Frankly, people have no power, because they've given it away. They've become complacent, and by the time they try to act to change things it's already too late. The time to kill this bill was 5 years ago, when the idea was in it's infancy, not now when it's a couple votes from getting passed.

---
My interpretation of reality is different than yours. Don't destroy my reality, even if you consider it a fantasy.
#7jammiesPosted 11/27/2011 4:15:30 AM
Alltra posted...
Frankly, people have no power, because they've given it away. They've become complacent, and by the time they try to act to change things it's already too late. The time to kill this bill was 5 years ago, when the idea was in it's infancy, not now when it's a couple votes from getting passed.

Makes sense. Look how long all anabolic steroids have been illegal for physical enhancement. Similar situation too. Happened because of sports associations lobbying. Yet there are a lot of different anabolic steroids with different side effects, and the research on them being unsafe in proper dosing is negligible. Why are all of them still blanketed under these old laws? Why is smoking, which has a proven track record of destroying human bodies legal?
By the way, no, I don't use steroids.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#8POOKISTANPosted 11/27/2011 4:35:57 AM
I'll call Monday but, yeah - Can you post a link to where to find phone numbers? They go by state representatives or somethin' don't they? Also, do you pretty much just say "Yeah - I'm going to vote for the opposition if you let this pass"?
#9Papa_PwnagePosted 11/27/2011 7:47:49 AM
Corporations or the government itself, giving up control is a bad idea. Problem is that we the people voted for the representatives willing to pass it.
---
At the end of the day can you say with one hundred percent certainty that you're free?
#10PrinceOfFalloutPosted 11/27/2011 7:53:19 AM
this reminds me of v for vendetta
---
"Bruce Wayne is the sort of guy who eats his broccoli, and eats it raw." -CatAtomic999
GT:GodMode XIII / PSN:DivineSnake