This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Message to the kids...

#1TakeItInTheFacePosted 11/28/2011 11:55:20 AM
Holidays always make me reminisce about the simpler times of childhood. I remember the days when I wish I could have "just one more game." You know? After reaching the ripe age of 31 I have come to realize that there are far worse things than not having every game you want.

Ironically, one of those things is having too many games. I remember being able to focus on one game and master every nook and cranny. The days when I knew Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat like the back of my hand and nobody could come close to beating me. Nowadays, I have games sitting at my house still in the plastic wrap and I spend more time thinking about which game to play than actually playing. Even worse? As I'm playing one game... I'm thinking about playing another... I don't have fatalities committed to memory. What's going on?!?

Who knows? Maybe part of the problem is how easy it is to obtain information. Back in the day you had to wait for the latest EGM came out to learn the movesets and then study them in the back of your science class as you held your pencil and tapped on the desk like it was an arcade stick while you waited for the final bell to ring. Not enough time is being spent on the training.

Sorry... got a little carried away there with nostalgia. Anyhow, the main point of this was to focus on the important things in life and appreciate what you have... or something like that. Happy Holidays!!
#2TerotrousPosted 11/28/2011 11:58:29 AM
Holidays always make me reminisce about the simpler times of childhood. I remember the days when I wish I could have "just one more game." You know? After reaching the ripe age of 31 I have come to realize that there are far worse things than not having every game you want.

"Take it from me, son, when you're young you think not being able to buy everything you want is the worst thing in the world. But it's not. When you get older, life gets WAY worse."

It's funny cause it's true.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Battletoads & Double Dragon"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#3fusespliffPosted 11/28/2011 12:00:39 PM
Ironically, one of those things is having too many games. I remember being able to focus on one game and master every nook and cranny. The days when I knew Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat like the back of my hand and nobody could come close to beating me. Nowadays, I have games sitting at my house still in the plastic wrap and I spend more time thinking about which game to play than actually playing. Even worse? As I'm playing one game... I'm thinking about playing another... I don't have fatalities committed to memory. What's going on?!?

Same here. It's the information overload, I guess. Everywhere you go nowadays games are thrown in your face.
Hell, back when we were kids you couldn't find used games unless you went to a garage sale. Now you go to your local gaming store and pick up several games for 50$ total.
---
Today we have 3,000 licensed KISS products, everything from condoms to caskets. We have you coming and going.-Gene Simmons
#4Cobra1010Posted 11/28/2011 12:07:33 PM
The reason i resort to games is because the weather here in UK is so crap and the government or private sector wont build enough Tennis courts or sports facility. I was told that id become a pro if i started tennis at a young age because im pretty awesome for someones whos played for only 3 years.

So screw tennis, now i play Top spin 4.
---
Playing: F1 2011, Portal 2, L4D2, BFBC2, Top Spin 4.
#5NecrosexuaIPosted 11/28/2011 12:15:29 PM
eh the older you get the less you want to spend time on games?
even with less internet access than ever, i still find myself preferring to stay dazed than playing video games. very strange. tho, i also draw frequently, so i mix between drawing and playing games.

[and when all you want to do is grind in disgaea... well...]
---
ANGRY**** BY NATURE, CHILL BY CIGARETTES
ONE PART THE FUHRER, ONE PART THE POPE - vspominai menja - RAID ON THE CITY, KNOCK OUT, EVIL TUSKS
#6CronoDynePosted 11/28/2011 12:50:42 PM
Before I'd just plop in front of the TV, turn on my SNES and play like it's second nature. Now it takes me hours to convince myself I'm actually interested in playing a game, and more time to actually start.
---
Remember: there's a lot of kids on these boards. Logic doesn't always follow. Think back to when you were 13, raging over things you didn't understand
#7TakeItInTheFace(Topic Creator)Posted 11/28/2011 1:14:58 PM
You could be onto something. I want to like games more than I actually do. I have been putting off drawing quite a bit... been wanting to create a graphic novel for quite some time now. Maybe, I just need to focus on something else for a while.

Although I do have to say that Saints Row 3 has taken me out of that mode. I haven't even thought about playing another game since I got it and the best part about it... you can take snapshots of your gameplay... which I can use as references for my drawing!!