This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Tadhg Kelly: "Games can't tell stories"

#1TubulaPosted 11/28/2011 8:24:46 PM
http://www.next-gen.biz/opinion/opinion-games-cant-tell-stories

I've read some stupid troll-bait this year, but this just takes the cake. While yes, not every game tells a good story, her argument is that games cannot tell stories, period; which is just not the case.
---
What is a Mega Man? A miserable little pile of circuits! But enough talk, have at you!
#2apocalyptic_4Posted 11/28/2011 8:30:12 PM
this person hasnt played alot of games, thats what i got from reading that.
---
PSN: Adrian396 2nd Ac PSN:Apocalypse369 3rd AcApoc369
XBL: Adrian369Ford
#3zyrax2301Posted 11/28/2011 8:40:04 PM(edited)
No game can spin a yarn like a woman can.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#4Enigmatic RenegadePosted 11/28/2011 10:23:55 PM
lol, a dude wrote this article
---
I go to sleep, dream that I'm Finnegan, then wake up, Joycian
#5ArsenicOverlordPosted 11/28/2011 10:26:48 PM
*sees a picture of a balding guy next to the article with the writer credit*

So where is this "woman wrote the article" thing coming from?
---
Phosphorus? Pfffft, who needs 'em??
#6DigitalpixelbitPosted 11/28/2011 10:29:51 PM
To be honest, I liked games better when they didn't force some big, huge, wannabe Hollywood blockbuster down your throat.

Plumber + Mysterious Mushroom Kingdom he somehow ended up in + Warp pipes + Princes saving = most epic game of all time.

Two bad ass brothers + Metro City + Hordes of Thugs + Kiddnapped Hooker/Friend = best beat'em up of all time.

Boy all alone + sword + Triforce + Dungeons + Princes saving = most epic adventure of all time.

Plumber + Scaffolding + Crazy Ape tossing barrels at you + Kidnapped Daisy + high score = best arcade game this side of pacman.
#7Golden MavenPosted 11/28/2011 10:36:21 PM(edited)
Agreed with digitalpixel.

If I want some elaborate story, I'll read a book, watch a movie or get into a TV show. Those mediums are about being passive.

Video games are about interaction. They are about gameplay first and foremost, everything else is dressing. Games that focus on telling stories fail and age very, very badly. There's something wrong if my console is on yet my gamepad is idle for longer than, say, 30 seconds (don't take this number too seriously, just get the point).
#8rofflchopperPosted 11/28/2011 11:03:01 PM
Why do people pay ignorant people like this any attention?

Yea, a video game won't have any mind blowing story, but that doesn't mean it can't tell one.
---
Dear Society,
Please stop calling Justin Bieber gay. We don't want him either. --- Sincerely, Homosexuals.
#9gtaking5Posted 11/28/2011 11:09:19 PM

Why do people pay ignorant people like this any attention?

Yea, a video game won't have any mind blowing story, but that doesn't mean it can't tell one.

Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, Uncharted Series, are just a few games that I've played with story lines that are leagues ahead of most Movies. Nothing beats The Walking Dead though. I almost cried because of the Mid Season Finale. A lot of people probably did as well. There's nothing more heartbreaking than what happened in that episode.
---
My name is 'No one' your long lost son, born on the 4th of July
Raised in the barnyards of heroes and cons, left me for dead or alive
#10CronoDynePosted 11/28/2011 11:10:03 PM
Video games are about interaction. They are about gameplay first and foremost,

Better inform visual novels and point & click adventures then.
---
Remember: there's a lot of kids on these boards. Logic doesn't always follow. Think back to when you were 13, raging over things you didn't understand