This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS3 freezing with discs only...

#1SoulAssassin226Posted 11/29/2011 12:47:51 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this before. This is my third time sending in my PS3 to Sony. The first time I got the YLOD after a good number of years with my original 60gb phat. I was upset, but I understood that electronics die. So I get a different 60gb back from Sony and it works great for about 3 1/2 months and suddenly starts freezing only when I try to do something with a disc (game, movie, music, etc).

The weird thing for me is that the game would keep running even after I knew the freeze had been "triggered" until it tried to load a previous menu or something. For example, when I play CoD, I know the system is going to freeze before it does because half of the game's audio just mysteriously cuts off and I'm left only with gunshot sounds basically and nothing else. The game will finish fine though even if this sound glitch happens 10 seconds into the match but once it shows the scoreboard and tries to get back into the lobby it will always freeze. Same thing happened with KoF 13, ran perfectly fine until the match ended and it was time to return to the lobby.

Why does this happen? Obviously the disc drive is crapping out on me (at least it's obvious to me, Sony CS keeps insisting I format the HDD like if that is actually supposed to help), but I've done a few searches and never seen anyone else bring up the issues I'm having.

This is the second time I get this. I convinced Sony to fix the PS3 they sent me back for free since it was only about 10-15 days passed the 90 warranty and now it's crapped out on me again with the same exact problem in less than 90 days this time. I'm wondering if there's anything specific I should avoid doing that could possibly be ruining my system (inb4avoidplayingcod). The room does get a little warm but the system doesn't seem to be overheating and it's in the same room it was in for years playing fine before eventually getting the YLOD. I've gone through too many days without my PS3 due to hardware failure =(.
---
PSN: SoulAssassin226
#2SayoriaPosted 11/29/2011 12:50:44 AM
Sounds like it is the bluray drive. Just curious but have you tried with movies as well?

Also, if you have a fat, and it dies, move on. Sending it in for 150 dollars is a waste of money. Fats after their first breakdown don't stay up and running long after.
#3SoulAssassin226(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2011 1:58:16 AM
Yea movies just freeze at random points. Just like with games, it could play fine for 20 minutes, 1 hour, or only 5 minutes before freezing. I do still have the 60gb phat but the only reason I'm sticking with it is because I already paid the $150 fee for service originally and these last 2 times I've gotten the service under warranty. I wouldn't pay for it again though, I'd just get a slim if I had to pay for the service again.
---
PSN: SoulAssassin226