This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We dont have a true FPS single player game yet

#1Devilman_AmonPosted 11/30/2011 10:18:42 AM
Most FPS are heavily scripted, short and even more linear than FF XIII.
Pretty much like rail shooters.

Yes Deus Ex you could talk to NPC (and punch them) but from what I seen it still seemed dull. Same with Fallout 3 (too empty)
Maybe taking a break between all the shooting like actual solders do from time to time and converse in the area you are stationed in free roam style.

Ever watch true war movies often times it isnt about rushin from point A to point B following your squad commander's orders like a lap dog.
It is about being in the environment and taking care of your teammates and conversing with the townsfolk and sometimes being attacked by them or aided. The horrors that war inflicts on its casualties of the citizens and things of that nature.
I guess developers are too scared to show that still.

I mean Fire Emblem has permadeath for years and no FPS does whats up with that?
Like your actions resulting in teammates or civilians dying, teammates or civilians turning on you, women running up to you with a baby with a grenade undeneath it (okay maybe thats going too far).

So there really doesnt seem to be too much of that in FPS games. Most environments are desolate and abandoned already (No Russian doesn't really count that was just for shock value)
and you have little choice in what to do (save for Far Cry 2 I think).
Even Dead Island felt like a mess...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#2You_Need_A_LifePosted 11/30/2011 10:26:11 AM
Far Cry 2 & Operation Flashpoint. Yeah, they have tacked-on multiplayer modes, but the single player mode is the main emphasis, they're linear and scripted, and they're both amazing.
#3Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2011 10:27:28 AM
Oh. I was saying for this genre to not be so linear and scripted...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#4este914Posted 11/30/2011 10:27:33 AM
Fallout 3 was too empty? There are so many things to do in that game its not even funny.
Therefore, I do not understand your topic.
---
es
#5este914Posted 11/30/2011 10:28:29 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
Oh. I was saying for this genre to not be so linear and scripted...

I agree but thats really the basis behind most FPS games.. There isnt MUCH you can do to vary away from that =\
---
es
#6usernamestuffPosted 11/30/2011 10:29:07 AM
este914 posted...
Fallout 3 was too empty? There are so many things to do in that game its not even funny.

Shoot things or go somewhere because an NPC told you to and shoot stuff there?
---
Number of times suspended for equating NBA players to criminals: 1
#7flintzPosted 11/30/2011 10:29:41 AM
you know what we also dont have? a true big mac. I always see the perfect big mac on the ads but when i order one, its not symmetrical, its messed up, sauces everywhere and tastes like crap.
---
"Hans! Look alive! Take the helm! We'll show that fishbowl thing how real men of the sea retreat!" -Captain of the Thames, Xenogears
#8blunderminePosted 11/30/2011 10:32:43 AM(edited)
There's always Metroid Prime.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would the be pulling a U-Wii?
#9este914Posted 11/30/2011 10:31:30 AM
usernamestuff posted...
este914 posted...

Shoot things or go somewhere because an NPC told you to and shoot stuff there?

Yes you can but you can do other things and stray away from the 'linear path' in the game and do your own quests
---
es
#10Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2011 10:34:36 AM(edited)
Metroid Prime is too empty. Barely any NPCs and you traverse the world by yourself like Fallout/Crysis.

Mass Effect is third person

Fallout is "empty" because its a desolate world and you basically traverse the world by yourself so there's little responsibility in your actions. This is why I brought up Fire Emblem. Your actions or lack of in Fire Emblem have a direct effect on your teammates

When you are a soldier you usually work with teammates.

For the most part the teammates in Call of Duty and Battlefield, Killzone etc are invincible until the forced script says otherwise.
Not by your actions
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)