This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why doesn't ps3 give us the option to install any game we want, old or new?

#1YermomHoudiniPosted 12/4/2011 3:55:19 PM
I had an xbox 360 for a while, it died so I have been playing ps3 ever since, but before it expired, the 1st dash board design update allowed you to install old games that didn't have the ability to install.

newly developed games takes advantage and fully utilize this feature so they work better with hard drive, but there's no doubt old games became more playable with decreased loading time and generally made the experience more enjoyable.

so the question is how come playstation 3 doesn't simply let user install any game s/he want, old or new?

I got an old copy of darkness for cheap and it was great fun, but because I couldn't install the loading time from section to section was painful. god of war 3 was released at the time installation option became available, but devs stubbornly refused to let you install and even though the slow down was minimized, I really wish it was available so that lagging time could decrease even further.

now I haven't played xbox 360 for a while, but I didn't remember any game force you to install or force you to play on disc only, both options are available at any given time for old or new games.

a lot of ps3 games I came across though forced me to go one way or another. granted I haven't played much ps3 games, my library is like 6 games so far, but 2 of them force no install, while 1 of them won't even play without install.
---
If you call out a company for blatantly ripping you off, you're a whiner!
If you accept being ripped off, you're a witless tool! - TheTunaTastesFishy
#2Agent_GreerPosted 12/4/2011 4:00:33 PM
I don't know. Good question. If we had this option I would install all my games to the HDD.
---
http://www.aeonscope.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/the-crystal-method-vegas.jpg
#3YermomHoudini(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2011 8:18:08 PM
bump
---
#4DigitalpixelbitPosted 12/4/2011 8:20:21 PM
What's the point? You still gotta get up, put the disc in and go through the formalities of it... I can't wait until physical disc are obsolete to be honest.

Every time A disc based games comes to the PSN and I have a copy of it -- I sell my physical copy online and buy the PSN copy. Every time.
#5SDFan18Posted 12/4/2011 8:24:41 PM
Installs are always better just to reduce wear and tear on the drive. With my slims blu ray laser dieing just under two years after purchase, I wish they'd let you do full HDD installs as well.
---
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall."
#6YermomHoudini(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2011 8:25:00 PM
the point is loading time.

taking the disc out of box and put into drive takes like what? 10 seconds?
for every point that requires loading, the difference between on disc and hard drive might differ in as much as extra 5~10 seconds.

the more games you install on your hard drive, the less work the bluray drive have to work to read the disc. hard drive is dirt cheap, bluray drive is not.
---
#7SonicMonkeysPosted 12/4/2011 8:35:59 PM
"What's the point? You still gotta get up, put the disc in and go through the formalities of it... I can't wait until physical disc are obsolete to be honest.

Every time A disc based games comes to the PSN and I have a copy of it -- I sell my physical copy online and buy the PSN copy. Every time."

Wow not only is that extremely lazy but you must also waste a lot of money on buying at MSRP every time. I hope you only own a few games.
---
Blame your fate.
#8YermomHoudini(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2011 8:38:21 PM
he is actually doing more work having to post online, collect payment, going to post office to send the item, and having to deal with customer complaints and all that.
---
#9DigitalpixelbitPosted 12/4/2011 8:40:29 PM
I have the ups man come to my door and take the shipment.

I never have a complaint.

It's just more convenient and saves space and doesn't clutter up living space with tacky game cases.
#10Acient_SoldierPosted 12/4/2011 8:42:21 PM
SDFan18 posted...
Installs are always better just to reduce wear and tear on the drive. With my slims blu ray laser dieing just under two years after purchase, I wish they'd let you do full HDD installs as well.

for collectors like me the physical copy is way more valuable
---
In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.