This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Yakuza 4 much better than 3?

#1LuoJieYongPosted 12/28/2011 7:08:49 AM
I want to get one of these games, 3 is a bit cheaper.
---
geshkigal: Soap is soap! It cleans itself.
_notorious_: I don't think it works that way. Not if it's been down someone's ass crack.
#2Devilman_AmonPosted 12/28/2011 7:13:36 AM(edited)
Yes due to more options and characters but I have both and I have not touched 4 until I finish 3. Both games are great.

Also I dunno where you live but you can get Yakuza 4 for as cheap as $12 on Amazon and Yakuza 3 for like $18. Both new.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#3Raven-ZPosted 12/28/2011 7:14:57 AM
Play 3 before 4 or you won't have a clue who anyone is.

They're both 10-15 each anyway. Just get 3 and then 4 when the price drops.
---
PSN/Steam: Ravendust
http://www.culturedeluxe.com/gaming
#4Dicer7Posted 12/28/2011 7:15:12 AM
Play 3 first. I like 4 better but you really appreciate 4 more after you play 3. And if anything, if you don't like the gameplay chances are you won't like 4 since it's essentially the same so you'll know not to waste money on it.
#5RotuhiiriPosted 12/28/2011 7:20:55 AM
I think so. Not so much in terms of the story but in the amount of things you can do in the game. They cut some content in the western release of Yakuza 3 but left pretty much everything intact with Yakuza 4. Don't get me wrong, Yakuza 3 still has more sidequest and minigames than anything on the market but there is more of it in Yakuza 4. Yakuza 4 also has four playable characters which leads to more variation.

A lot of people also thought the start was too slow in Yakuza 3 with gameplay more focused on fetch quests than action. I didn't mind it on my first playthrough but you will definitely notice it on your third.

Yakuza 3 is very good value for money though and I've spent over 100 hours playing it and I went back and bought Yakuza 1 & 2 for the PS2 after playing it because I enjoyed it so much.

I think you should get Yakuza 3 first so you get to know more about the characters and background. If it's cheaper, that's always a plus too.

Yakuza 3 offers cutscenes from Yakuza 1 & 2 so you can get some grasp of the story and Yakuza 4 does the same and also includes Yakuza 3's btw if you didn't know.
---
Dreamcast/Gamecube/Mega Drive/PC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Saturn/Xbox/Xbox 360/Wii gamer
#6LuoJieYong(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2011 7:28:32 AM
Yakuza 3 I can get as part of a 2 for $40 (Aussie dollars) deal.
Yakuza 4 I just found for ~$19 including shipping.

Thanks for the opinions, I think I'll get 4, even if 3 is a better place to start. (I don't feel as if I'd like 3 so much that I'd go and buy 4 after playing it, so might as well start with the good one)
---
_notorious_: I don't think it works that way. Not if it's been down someone's ass crack.
#7LuoJieYong(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2011 7:32:30 AM
...also, is it dumb to wait for Dead Souls?
---
#8Devilman_AmonPosted 12/28/2011 7:33:35 AM
LuoJieYong posted...
Yakuza 3 I can get as part of a 2 for $40 (Aussie dollars) deal.
Yakuza 4 I just found for ~$19 including shipping.

Thanks for the opinions, I think I'll get 4, even if 3 is a better place to start. (I don't feel as if I'd like 3 so much that I'd go and buy 4 after playing it, so might as well start with the good one)

I don't know these things but is it impossible for Australians to import or something?
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#9LuoJieYong(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2011 7:36:51 AM
Importing is always a pain because it usually takes over 2 weeks; and unless you find a place with free shipping, postage is generally ridiculous. (It's like $10 a game via Amazon)

Also, I've heard stories of people getting fined for trying to import banned games (like Mortal Kombat).
---
#10RotuhiiriPosted 12/28/2011 7:43:42 AM
LuoJieYong posted...
...also, is it dumb to wait for Dead Souls?
Dead Souls will be more expensive than the others and most Yakuza fans seem to think it's the worst of the games. I haven't played it but I would recommending getting the others first.
---
Dreamcast/Gamecube/Mega Drive/PC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/Saturn/Xbox/Xbox 360/Wii gamer