This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New PS3 questions

#1KvAth072Posted 2/3/2012 7:32:56 PM
So I have an original 20 gb ps3 from launch and im assuming it just died, i was playing skyrim and the ps3 just shut off in the middle of gameplay and the red light was blinking, when i tried to turn it back on it couldnt even boot up and the light just stayed blinking.

so assuming it died unless anybody knows whats wrong or how i fix it i need a new ps3 and i have a few questions

I upgraded the original hard drive to a 120 gb drive, will this hard drive still fit in the new ps3 models?

and will i be able to recover my online account for trophies and stuff on a new model?

thanks
#2OnslaughtXPosted 2/3/2012 7:35:23 PM

I upgraded the original hard drive to a 120 gb drive, will this hard drive still fit in the new ps3 models?

The drive can be swapped, yes, but it will be formatted. Sorry.

and will i be able to recover my online account for trophies and stuff on a new model?

Yes, as long as your trophies were synced, all you need to do is use your log in info on the new system.

I'd leave the system off for 48 hours. Then try turning it on and seeing if you can quickly back up your saves (unless you already have, then congrats).
---
I'm pretty sure that Hideo confirmed that you don't argue MGS semantics with Onslaught. - Serazee - backloggery.com/main.php?user=onslaughtx
#3KvAth072(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2012 7:41:57 PM
ok, so i think the disc drive went, because i was able to turn the system back on, the system checked and made sure nothing was corrupted i was able to navigate through the xmb no problem then when i tried to launch a game the same thing happened.

so the hdd needs to be formatted for each system? or if the hdd didnt go will i just be able to swap it out in a new system with no problem?
#4OnslaughtXPosted 2/3/2012 7:43:35 PM
so the hdd needs to be formatted for each system? or if the hdd didnt go will i just be able to swap it out in a new system with no problem?

Each time you put an HDD in a system, it will be asked to format it to that system. If you try to put this HDD in any other system, it will wipe all data on it.

So, start backing up your saves to a USB stick or PS+, like, right now. Trust me.
---
I'm pretty sure that Hideo confirmed that you don't argue MGS semantics with Onslaught. - Serazee - backloggery.com/main.php?user=onslaughtx
#5KvAth072(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2012 7:47:17 PM
so there is the option to back up the saves in the system settings menu, now i know that i will need a flash drive or an external hard drive or ps+ like you said, what way would you recommend i do?
#6OnslaughtXPosted 2/3/2012 10:42:01 PM
If you go with an external HDD of similar size,t here's a backup option. Otherwise, if you're manually copying saves, you can just select the save in the saves folder.
---