This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Got the new Slim PS3. Bitstream or LPCM through HDMI?

#115RCPosted 2/3/2012 10:04:59 PM
The slim works different from the old, right?
---
Saturday, February 4: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr./Nonito Donaire
Sunday, February 5: Giants vs. Patriots
#2Rob_the_NinjaPosted 2/3/2012 10:09:56 PM
LPCM if you've got the sound system to support it.
---
http://i43.tinypic.com/s1mf7t.gif
#315RC(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2012 10:51:31 PM
Do the audio options display on the receiver with the Slim? Don't think my old PS3 did. It would be just Multichannel.
---
#4archizzyPosted 2/3/2012 10:56:01 PM
15RC posted...
Do the audio options display on the receiver with the Slim? Don't think my old PS3 did. It would be just Multichannel.

If your AVR supports them then yes it will display them. PCM or bitstream is simply changing where the decoding is taking place. You are either decoding at the PS3 and outputting PCM or sending the raw data to the AVR. If each is level matched there should be no audible difference.

If your AVR is capable of it you would be better off with bitstream as some blu-ray movies the default track will be Dolby Digital and it makes it easy to spot right away rather than going by the sound.
---
PSN ID: sled_dogs76
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#5archizzyPosted 2/3/2012 11:02:05 PM
To add on the bitstream option will only be for movies when using HDMI. Gaming will still be output as PCM unless the game specifically has a DTS track you can select or in rare cases it is a 2 channel audio track. Otherwise the majority of your game audio will always be PCM.

You can "force" games to bitstream by manually deselecting 5.1 and 7.1 PCM tracks and forcing it to use Dolby Digital or DTS but there is no benefit in doing this except that the PS3 often incorrectly flags 5.1 games as 7.1 and if you were running a 7.1 system and wanted to use Dolby Pro Logic IIx to upconvert 5.1 to 7.1 you would need to resort to this as the incorrectly flagged games will output 5.1 as 7.1 with blank info in the rears.

Ultimately though unless you have a firm grasp of this I wouldn't recommend this method except for very specific scenarios and only if you understand it well.
---
60" Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO151FD, Yamaha RX-V3900 A/V Receiver, Oppo DV983-H player. Coming soon: 2 Seaton Submersives from Mark Seaton
#6bdfan4everPosted 2/3/2012 11:04:13 PM
This is a no brainer: LPCM. The difference is staggering.
#715RC(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2012 11:06:11 PM
I have a 7.1 receiver, which supports all formats except 3D. So I should set it to Bitstream?
---
#8archizzyPosted 2/3/2012 11:11:48 PM
15RC posted...
I have a 7.1 receiver, which supports all formats except 3D. So I should set it to Bitstream?

It doesn't really matter but I personally would trust most AVR's before I would trust the PS3. I would use bitstream.
---