This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Healing items are way too overpowered in games

#1DemonDog666Posted 5/27/2012 11:48:42 AM
It seems to me this is what screws up the balance in most rpgs and any game with healing items these days, all the healing items are so insanely overpowered for their price and availability. The only games that seem to compensate for it is Demon Souls (where you can die in so few hits and using them has a delay) and Dark Souls (which as well as demon souls has limited usage per a certain section and the alternative healing items are scarce.)

I'm not exactly sure when it happened even on the ps1 alot of rpgs healing items were overpowered, I mean you can essentially beat all the FF after 7 without using any yet you can easily stock 99 of the one you need at your current level.

So yeah I think healing items should be less available and more expensive to help balance out games, especially with all mages being able to heal your party they are rather redundant and way too easy to get and way too cheap.

Anyone else agree and does anyone have any other ideas to balance it out.
#2ImmortalKatanPosted 5/27/2012 11:57:02 AM
I completely disagree. If you want challenge then just don't use them, is that too hard a concept for you to understand?
#3DemonDog666(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 11:57:44 AM
ImmortalKatan posted...
I completely disagree. If you want challenge then just don't use them, is that too hard a concept for you to understand?

Is balancing a game a too hard concept for you to understand?
#4RyuuHou25Posted 5/27/2012 11:59:59 AM
DemonDog666 posted...
ImmortalKatan posted...

When you have the option to NOT use the items, it's not about balance. It's about you realizing you can just NOT use them. Get it through your thick skull. They don't force you to use them after all.

Besides, this is generally why games have harder difficulties in them. For this very reason. Again, so hard to put it on a higher difficulty?
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#5ImmortalKatanPosted 5/27/2012 12:00:37 PM
balance is relative. what you may consider to be an unbalanced game another person would consider just fine.
#6riddlebox89Posted 5/27/2012 12:13:46 PM
DemonDog666 posted...
ImmortalKatan posted...

The game is already balanced, enemies do damage to you, there are healing items to take that damage away, an unbalanced game would have no way of healing whatsoever.

As the other poster said, you always have the option to not use them, so if you feel that using healing items is unbalancing the game for you, then that's your own damn fault because you're the one using the health items in the first place.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#7params7Posted 5/27/2012 12:16:39 PM
ImmortalKatan posted...

Is not making dumb as hell posts a concept too hard for you to understand?
---
http://bf3stats.com/stats_ps3/params7
http://i35.tinypic.com/2qd27na.png
#8DemonDog666(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 12:37:57 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
When you have the option to NOT use the items, it's not about balance. It's about you realizing you can just NOT use them. Get it through your thick skull. They don't force you to use them after all.

Besides, this is generally why games have harder difficulties in them. For this very reason. Again, so hard to put it on a higher difficulty?

So yes it is too hard for you to understand it. If you have to avoid using features in the game for it be more balanced the devs are doing it wrong.

ImmortalKatan posted...
balance is relative. what you may consider to be an unbalanced game another person would consider just fine.

Actually balance is objective. If people are okay with it because they suck and it makes it easier that's one thing, but does anyone really think it's fun to attack a boss a few times take a hit heal, rinse and repeat 50 times? They make the bosses hit harder and have more life because of your ability to heal being so overpowered and it just throws the whole thing out of whack and eventually you will find yourself just constantly healing in a pattern for way too many games.

riddlebox89 posted...
The game is already balanced, enemies do damage to you, there are healing items to take that damage away, an unbalanced game would have no way of healing whatsoever.

As the other poster said, you always have the option to not use them, so if you feel that using healing items is unbalancing the game for you, then that's your own damn fault because you're the one using the health items in the first place.

You obviously don't know what balancing a game means...
#9Still__RippinPosted 5/27/2012 12:47:30 PM
TC is obviously not very bright. Are good weapons overpowered? Maxing out abilities to one shot enemies? That sounds much more overpowered than healing items that you apparently don't need. Use your brain TC. Unless a game gives you unlimited potions and automatically uses them for you....healing I'd not overpowered. What you are talking about is being cheap and exploiting healing by traveling around buying all the potions you can. Sounds like a strategy and work to me. You don't want to use 99 potions in a boss fight? Don't bring 99 potions then. And guess what? Other people might NEED those 99 potions, balance.
---
Gamers with sophisticated taste don't own 300 games for their PS3. It's disgusting. PAAT~~ Posts As A Troll
#10DemonDog666(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2012 12:52:00 PM
Still__Rippin posted...
TC is obviously not very bright. Are good weapons overpowered? Maxing out abilities to one shot enemies? That sounds much more overpowered than healing items that you apparently don't need. Use your brain TC. Unless a game gives you unlimited potions and automatically uses them for you....healing I'd not overpowered. What you are talking about is being cheap and exploiting healing by traveling around buying all the potions you can. Sounds like a strategy and work to me. You don't want to use 99 potions in a boss fight? Don't bring 99 potions then. And guess what? Other people might NEED those 99 potions, balance.

You're the one who's not bright. Nobody needs 99 potions for a boss fight unless they are underleveled, and because healing items are so cheap pretty much anyone can get 99 at any level, making them able to take on monsters far higher level consistently with just a heal pattern, so instead of reducing the availability of the healing items what do devs do? Give bosses an insane about of HP.

Being able to easily get 99 of something very useful that you don't need isn't balance. You have to find/buy equipment, you have to level up endless to max out abilities, but healing items, they are everywhere and they are cheap as hell.