This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D all games story modes should be minimum 12 hours long

#61SayoriaPosted 6/11/2012 9:35:19 AM
SkittyOnWailord posted...
D

Same reason as killak posted. I don't want a 12 hour story for a puzzle, racing or fighting game.

I'll give racing and fighting, but I wouldn't have cared if Catherine were longer. Catherine's take on the Puzzle genre was fun, and I think we should have more puzzle games like it.
---
"Ehhhhhhhhhhh????"
*Proud Downtown Gaki No Tsukai fan*
#62PurelyDivinePosted 6/11/2012 9:43:14 AM
C

I usually wait for a price drop if a game is too short. And unless it's a really good game, I would play through it only once. And it has to have a lot of content and extras.
---
I love Deidara. She's so hot - photobucket.com/albums/m560/theblaz1/DEIDARA.jpg
I love Cloud. She's so hot - photobucket.com/albums/m560/theblaz1/CLOUD.jpg
#63theshovellerPosted 6/11/2012 9:58:59 AM
I think the guy who said that games need to be as long as their plot dictates is right, and the industry's current bar of about 8 hours is a good place to be right now. Comparatively speaking, 8 hours is roughly the length of four movies, eight hour-long TV shows (roughly 3/4 of a season or so), or one person's average work day. If the pacing keeps up for that entire 8 hours, then it's a good game. If there's a forced insertion of filler tasks to inflate that number - say, only about 4 or 5 hours of actual plot-related gameplay and three or more hours of "fetch me these collectible" things to even advance the plot, then it's a game that's a bit lacking.

I know some people hate the shorter games we have nowadays, especially given improvements in game storage like actual save data and not just writing down passwords that may-or-may-not give you all those E-Tanks you spent hours farming for the final boss encounter. However, the industry is a business first and foremost, and when it comes down to spending $500,000 to $3 or $4 million on a game, do you aim to appease the maybe 125,000 hard-core die-hard fans, or do you aim to please the 1.5 million people who might give your game a try? Obviously, you target the 1.5 million - there's more money to be made there.

The short version - 8 hours is a lot to be asking a lot of people to give up as it is. 12 would be too much. I'd rather get a bunch of good 8-hour games than one or two really good 12-hour games - it might add up to more game time overall, even if it's different stories and games. Plus, sequel potential! Two mini-stories adding up to 16 hours is better than one 12-hour story, especially if they end up rushing the second part to fit it in!

The short, short version - 8 good, more games, no rushing endings.
#64SetzeraPosted 6/11/2012 10:20:12 AM(edited)
D.

I work on a different method of value in video games. Basically if I can get $1/hour out of a game, then I consider it worth it. If I buy a game for $60, I expect to get at least 60 hours out of it, in total, regardless of what mode I play. This isn't always easy, and is hence why I have very few games.

Here are some recent examples of my value system:

MLB '12 - Had a best buy gift card for $25, bringing my cash total to $42. I currently have 73 hours on the game, so regardless of discount, I have already made it worth it.

TrackMania United Forever - Cost me $25, have 56 hours, already double my $1 hour rate.

Killing Floor - Cost $20, have 23 hours with plans for much more.

Dynasty Warriors 7 - Cost about $35, had 42 hours logged before I traded it in.

WWE '12 - Bought of someone for $25, have 32 hours logged.

NHL '11 - Bought for $15, have 3 hours logged.. so it hasn't reach my standard yet, but when hockey season comes, that's when it'll have far more hours than it does now.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Cost $67, have 46 hours. Great game, don't get me wrong, but I get bored of RPG's quickly, and I should've waited for a price drop. I'm about half done, if I do finish it it'll be roughly 100 hours. I say that because my girlfriend has beaten her copy, and her save file was more than 100 hours.

Killzone 3 - Cost $30, I think I have about 25 hours roughly, so it's close and I plan to play it more.

Dirt Showdown - Picking up my pre-order tomorrow, but I already have around 40-50 hours logged on the demo alone, so making this a good value probably won't be too difficult.

In conclusion, a 12 hour story mode standard would be nice, since there are some really short campaigns out there, but story mode alone wouldn't be anywhere close to my $1 / hour system, unless I get the games in a bargain bin sale. Plus like a few have said, you don't want a story to become drawn out and pointless, replayability is important but there are other modes for that.
#65CrimsonGear80Posted 6/11/2012 10:17:24 AM
Big, huge, Mammoth "D"!

A longer game doesn't make a good game. Just make your game GOOD, and I won't care how long it is.
---
The song is called "Baba O' Riley", NOT "Teenage Wasteland".
http://imgon.net/di-CFMD.gif
#66theshovellerPosted 6/11/2012 10:20:01 AM
EnforcerICE posted...
Killzone 3 - Cost $30, I think I have about 25 hours roughly, so it's close and I plan to play it more.

That's a game I think could have been longer. Then again, I could be a bit jaded, given that I bought the CE of it, threw it on the next-to-highest difficulty, and beat it in about four hours in co-op with my brother. It was an unfulfilling four hours, too, which is why I was disappointed. I think I actually am getting more enjoyment out of the helmet it included than I did the game, since I'm not a big deathmatch guy.
#67SetzeraPosted 6/11/2012 10:28:05 AM
theshoveller posted...
EnforcerICE posted...

That's a game I think could have been longer. Then again, I could be a bit jaded, given that I bought the CE of it, threw it on the next-to-highest difficulty, and beat it in about four hours in co-op with my brother. It was an unfulfilling four hours, too, which is why I was disappointed. I think I actually am getting more enjoyment out of the helmet it included than I did the game, since I'm not a big deathmatch guy.

Yeah, I have to agree it could've been longer, especially since the gameplay is really fun. I'm not a deathmatch person either, I've tried it on Killzone 3 and I still don't like it. Basically for this game to work in my value system, I've had to play it through the campaign once on solo, once with my girlfriend, and when he has some more time, once more with my buddy. I would love to see campaign DLC, or even a wave survival mode against A.I. (I know it's cliche now, but it's still fun).
#68faris_ruhiPosted 6/11/2012 10:29:08 AM
este914 posted...
D

More concerned with the quality of the story/gameplay/etc. rather then how long it is.

This.

If it is long and great quality, I'm all for it. But I'd rather have a shorter, higher quality game than a long mediocre quality game.
---
Time...line...? Time is not made out of lines. It is made of circles. That is why clocks are round. - Caboose
PSN: SYRAPH , GT: TheRealSyraph
#69Lowtan_LanePosted 6/11/2012 10:30:36 AM
Deny.

Games that drag on to long are worse than short games.
---
"...And since she isn't my gf I don't give a crap what her hobbies are. I'll only see her(them) a couple times a month." --- Lowtan_Lane
#70XaguraPosted 6/11/2012 10:31:56 AM
I like my rpg gameplay be at 40 hour or 80 hours or longer than 80 hours.

Story mode: I dont care. I only play good gameplay.
---
You must defeat my Giga Hado Slash to stand a chance