This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

its 95F, PS3 shutdown midgame and Flashed Blinking Red Lights

#1The_Big_DeekPosted 6/20/2012 4:54:43 PM
its 95F here. i was playing the dumb deadliest warrior game. the fan was on almost the highest level. then the game abruptly shutdown and flashed the blinking red lights. after 15 min i turned it on and took the disk out. it turned on properly. does anyone here who knows the official answer why the ps3 flashes the red light? does it shutdown when it detects a high temp to keep the system from catching fire? or does the Flashing red light mean my ps3 is Dead. i didnt get a yellow light. only flashing red. after experiencing this flashing red light has anyone been able to revive their ps3? can it come back from the dead? or is it now garbage.should i spray a can of compressed air into it? do i need to open up and change thermal paste or leave it like this. does flashing red light turn into YLOD or are they 2 different things. i learned in the beginning that the ps3 is smart and shuts down at high temp to protect itself. can anyone clarify all these symptoms. thank you in advance.
---
COD4 > Black Ops > COD3 > MW3 > MW2 > WAW
#2101TheBossPosted 6/20/2012 5:02:50 PM
It's too hot.
---
Not changing this signature until John Cena turns heel (Started on 4/29/2012).
#3The_Big_Deek(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2012 5:08:19 PM
will this signal the end of my ps3? i know it was not on the highest fan. it was on the second highest fan. when it gets above 90F the highest fan setting turns on like a jet engine, today i didnt hear it. i think then it shutoff to protect itself. my ps3 is well ventilated and is placed on a metal grate to keep the mobo cool. basically i want to know if flashing red light leads to YLOD? have any of you gotten flashing red light and then later on your system went back to being normal? thanks for your experience with this
---
#4The_Big_Deek(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2012 5:09:43 PM
if this ps3 dies like the 360 dies then im moving to PC gaming. PCs never get stupid YLODs or RRODs,etc etc.
---
#5101TheBossPosted 6/20/2012 5:17:02 PM
I don't think, but you can't be too sure. This is why I'm getting a Slim.
---
Not changing this signature until John Cena turns heel (Started on 4/29/2012).
#6Holy_WraithPosted 6/20/2012 5:17:29 PM
I had a similar thing happen recently too.

And 6 days ago I was checking the PSn store and the green light blinked yellow 3 times as it shut off and then went to flash red.

I turned it back on and so far my PS3 is still kicking but I was forced to dig out my 32gb USB thumb memory drive or whatever its called and back up as much data as I could (I hate stupid "copy prohibited" save files!) but I might just get a USB big HDD and back up the whole thing.

You're lucky its 95F where you are at.

I'm in S/W Texas and its so hot here that not even hot air balloons can take off and hotter water comes out of the cold faucet.

Maybe thats why no one goes to church in Texas, its so hot that people already think they're in Hell.

But seriously, if you got a FAT PS3, its cheaper to send it back to Sony and its really a simple transaction and back up your data just in case because I just got a new PS3 in May and it re-formatted my HDD and I lost all my game data.
---
Farewell Metal Gear Online 6-12-12
It was THE best shooter game on PS3
#7The_Big_Deek(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2012 5:19:40 PM
if i vacuum the vents or spray it with compressed air will the lights flash red or not anymore?
---
#8NE_PatriotsFanPosted 6/20/2012 5:24:46 PM
The_Big_Deek posted...
if this ps3 dies like the 360 dies then im moving to PC gaming. PCs never get stupid YLODs or RRODs,etc etc.

Yea its worse, they get blue screens of death and literally burst into flames...
---
Due to peoples extreme sensitivity, i had to change my sig. Im sorry.
#9Holy_WraithPosted 6/20/2012 5:27:07 PM
The_Big_Deek posted...
if i vacuum the vents or spray it with compressed air will the lights flash red or not anymore?

I would vacuum from the fan side because if I am correct, dust holds on to heat as well as conduct electricity cause "electronic arcs" (electricity bouncing to where its not supposed to go)

But if it isn't working anymore then call that Sony hotline and they'll do a walk thru trouble shooting diagnosis and they'll tell you if it needs to be sent in and usually they'll fix it or send you a brande new or refurbished.

I been thru 3 fat PS3 and possibly a 4th because of the heat wave, so I just moved my game center near my A/C window unit and I just wait til the evening to play when its cooler.
---
Farewell Metal Gear Online 6-12-12
It was THE best shooter game on PS3