This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Shin Megami Tensei game

#31PeacefulPoetryPosted 6/23/2012 8:43:09 PM
Evil_Gogeta posted...
PeacefulPoetry posted...
Alltra posted...
Shoot, I thought SMT was Persona.

Don't really care too much for the style of game play in the two Persona games I did play. Too many missables / either ors for my taste.

See that's the issue. The only thing SMT about Persona series is the SMT tagline.

Same thing can be said for a lot of games. SMT had its original games and in the early 90`s they branched into anime/manga and then started to make separate spin offs.
It`s in the SMT universe and every SMT has the same monsters and pretty much the same premise of summoning demons to have on your team.
Tokyo Revelation is my favourite anime (even though I don`t watch anime anymore) and I only recently found out it is actually SMT: Tokyo Revelation and it made a lot of sense.

I`ve played SMT 1/2/If/Nocturne/Strange Journey and many of the spin offs and every spin off fits the universe!

I can concede they are in the same universe. However they aren't part of the same series, at least in my opinion.
#32mogar002Posted 6/23/2012 8:44:04 PM
PeacefulPoetry posted...
mogar002 posted...
They are both titles and nothing more.

No. You said that SMT was a tag line even for the SMT games.

A tag line is more or less a slogan so yes, it is one for the original series.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#33killerdestroyerPosted 6/23/2012 8:49:47 PM(edited)
ymdase posted...
I hated Persona 4 because the story suck and the ideas are same as Persona 3 plus the story is not Mature

the best part was Rise shddow bucause she was so hot

What? Same ideas as Persona 3? Persona 3 was about accepting death, Persona 4 is about a murder mystery in a small town.

Their story ideas are absolutely nothing alike, and just because it's more upbeat doesn't make it "not Mature."

As for the answer for the topic, i'd say either Nocturne, Strange Journey, or Persona 3: FES
---
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/theRMshow
Clannad- A show that will make you cry no matter who you are.
#34PeacefulPoetryPosted 6/23/2012 8:46:34 PM
mogar002 posted...
PeacefulPoetry posted...
mogar002 posted...
They are both titles and nothing more.

No. You said that SMT was a tag line even for the SMT games.

A tag line is more or less a slogan so yes, it is one for the original series.

I don't think you know the difference between the two.
#35ymdase(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2012 8:47:33 PM
RenuPetori posted...
Nocturne.

Persona 3 & 4 really have no replay value. The school stuff and all were fun first time you beat the game but I just can't get myself to replay them.

I'm hoping SMTIV gets released in Europe.

your so right
#36kingpenguin22Posted 6/23/2012 8:48:28 PM
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

I spent about 300+ hours getting everything maxed out, collecting all the monsters and beating the game on all endings...

And I absolutely loved what I call the *antichrist end* that was insane..
---
Owner of Purple 3DS...Fav Ps3 game: Hyperdimension Neptunia, Fav 360 game: Tales of Vesperia, Fav Psp game: Project Diva, Fav Wii game: TP for Midna :O
#37Dark_EpathyPosted 6/23/2012 8:51:32 PM
Nocturne's the best, in my mind. That game is thrilling in a way the others aren't. Although Devil Survivor comes very close. Pity I haven't been able to really get into DS2. : P

As far as Persona goes, while they're not core SMT, they run on a lot of the same systems, so I think lumping them together is not inconceivable. You're still largely dungeon-crawling and fusing together monsters, using the same sort of mechanics and strategies.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#38PeacefulPoetryPosted 6/23/2012 8:52:28 PM
Dark_Epathy posted...
Nocturne's the best, in my mind. That game is thrilling in a way the others aren't. Although Devil Survivor comes very close. Pity I haven't been able to really get into DS2. : P

As far as Persona goes, while they're not core SMT, they run on a lot of the same systems, so I think lumping them together is not inconceivable. You're still largely dungeon-crawling and fusing together monsters, using the same sort of mechanics and strategies.

The Devil Survivor games aren't "core" either.
#39themegaman7Posted 6/23/2012 8:54:23 PM
Yeah. I have to give it to Devil Survivor 1, that game has probably my favorite story of all SMT games I've played expect maybe SMT2.
---
PSN - Expa0
- The official Doppelganger of SMT IV boards -
#40ymdase(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2012 9:00:54 PM
kingpenguin22 posted...
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

I spent about 300+ hours getting everything maxed out, collecting all the monsters and beating the game on all endings...

And I absolutely loved what I call the *antichrist end* that was insane..

WOW 300+ hours
i beated the game twice only