This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A Gay Gamer Convention is NOT Necessary (Gaymercon 2013)

#11wstfldPosted 8/6/2012 5:30:13 PM
Not reading that article, but no, they don't need their own convention. Gamers aren't bigoted Christians or Republicans, most of us are relatively young.
---
Last Played: Assassin's Creed Revelations - (8.5/10)
Now Playing: Uncharted 3, NCAA Football 2013, Twisted Metal
#12Omar3256Posted 8/6/2012 5:31:36 PM
mx_703 posted...
I don't see a point in this either. I mean, it would be for finding people like you and meet new friends and even potential mates, but why does this need a separate convention?

Do black people get a game convention? Do straight people? Do transgender people?

I completely agree, I'm not against Homosexuals at all but a person's sexual orientation has nothing to do with video games and doesn't need a convention
#13MacBookAirPosted 8/6/2012 5:32:40 PM
Being gay myself, I don't see the point in this at all...

Gays aren't banned at gamer conventions, why have a separate one that will only waste time?
---
"Aspiring stripper? That's like aspiring to be homeless." -wiidundant
#14mx_703Posted 8/6/2012 5:33:24 PM
antoinejones posted...
mx_703 posted...
I don't see a point in this either. I mean, it would be for finding people like you and meet new friends and even potential mates, but why does this need a separate convention?

Do black people get a game convention? Do straight people? Do transgender people?

you just answered that question yourself... who WOULDNT want a girlfriend that was a gamer (youll never have to hear the nagging about "you play those dumb games too much") and if you went to E3 most likely any girl there is a gamer right.. so youd take your chances... however a gay or lesbian couldnt do that at E3 because they might approach someone who isnt gay and wind getting punched in the face lmao... so a gay gamer convention would allow someone whos gay to find someone with similar interests and possibly a mate... so yeah I really dont see the issue.

I don't see the need for a separate convention, though. The highlighted part is the problem with what you said. Why would that happen? I would think of all people, gamers would be acceptable or indifferent of people's orientation, status, race, whatever.
---
PSN & MGO:mx703, AriZona XLink: mx_703
#15CronoDynePosted 8/6/2012 5:33:48 PM
Gamers aren't bigoted Christians or Republicans, most of us are relatively young.

I was wondering how long it would take for the inane Christian and Republican bashing to come rushing in. It took longer than I expected.

Anyways, no, a "Gaymer" convention is not necessary. People wonder why segregation still exists today.. it's because people keep segregating themselves today.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#16TheDarknessIIPosted 8/6/2012 5:34:34 PM
MacBookAir posted...
Gays aren't banned at gamer conventions, why have a separate one that will only waste time?

Because the modern definition of equality is "all minorities get special treatment".
---
PSN: m5h3p
Steam ID: Aristeus
#17Arkane DenialPosted 8/6/2012 5:34:42 PM
There should be a logical reason not to have it. If there isn't, go ahead. I'll even be there even if I'm not gay.

For all we know, hobbits could be gamers and we're all thumbs for them, but what about marketing the convention? Budget? Who'll be there? Booths? Yeah, these stuff.
---
Booker T: "PSN is down! PSN is down! PSN is down! PSN is down! PSN is down! PSN is down! " - Paulina_Pierce
#18Shy420Posted 8/6/2012 5:34:44 PM
wstfld posted...
Not reading that article, but no, they don't need their own convention. Gamers aren't bigoted Christians or Republicans, most of us are relatively young.

Have you ever tried playing online? You know where where every homophobic and racist comment is spewn by children who testicle have yet to drop. Sure gamers are above that racist crap eh.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#190-takuPosted 8/6/2012 5:37:15 PM(edited)
wow the replies from that link are so dumb. They totally misunderstood him.

It's completely unnecessary because one it's alienating to those who aren't gay, sexual preference has nothing to do with gamers(what? are they planning to hook up after they meet up or something?). I hate how gay people who have low self esteem treat their sexual preferences like it's a nuclear bomb. it doesn't hurt anybody nor do you need to publicly announce it. We are living in an age where you can be anybody you want. Hell! the president is black, weed is being legalized in most states/turning into holidays, gay parades and etc. Great times we live in. Who ever is making this should come to terms with himself and accept with who he is and be happy. The purpose of conventions are to make people come together regardless of race or sex and enjoy the things they love(games/comics/movies). This is a bad way of doing all that. There are good conventions out there that accept anybody(E3, Tokyo Game Show, GDC, ComicCon to name a few)

Seriously? what does sexual preferences have anything to do with games and why does it matter if people know you're gay? this is utterly stupid.
---
LOOK AT MY SIGNATURE!!! IT'S AMAZING!!!
#20antoinejonesPosted 8/6/2012 5:36:24 PM
mx_703 posted...
antoinejones posted...
mx_703 posted...

you just answered that question yourself... who WOULDNT want a girlfriend that was a gamer (youll never have to hear the nagging about "you play those dumb games too much") and if you went to E3 most likely any girl there is a gamer right.. so youd take your chances... however a gay or lesbian couldnt do that at E3 because they might approach someone who isnt gay and wind getting punched in the face lmao... so a gay gamer convention would allow someone whos gay to find someone with similar interests and possibly a mate... so yeah I really dont see the issue.

I don't see the need for a separate convention, though. The highlighted part is the problem with what you said. Why would that happen? I would think of all people, gamers would be acceptable or indifferent of people's orientation, status, race, whatever.

lol do you go out much? ok Im sure youre a guy.,. go out and hit on 20 random male strangers and tell me the number of them that react agressively/violently compared to the number that just say somethin like "im sorry im not gay" THEN ask me that question lol
---
My first time and day in Jueno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.