This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A Gay Gamer Convention is NOT Necessary (Gaymercon 2013)

#261MarioParty2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2012 11:05:05 PM
iPutinWORK posted...
#inb4inflammatoryantihomosexualcomment

this thread might hit 300+ posts, if mods don't shut it down

looks like it's about to hit 300 lol
---
PSN- Lamburghini89 GT-FerrariParadise
#262TechniMyokoPosted 8/6/2012 11:05:20 PM
yeah, it is neccesary
#263DraupnirPosted 8/6/2012 11:07:22 PM
I've got absolutely nothing against it, but it does seem a bit pointless...
#264dr_zombergPosted 8/6/2012 11:09:10 PM
i for one im glad theyres gay bars and stuff, that way i dont have to be on high alert over some guy touching me whenever i do go to clubs.

and even then, gay MCD and ihop examples were completely stupid
---
GT/PSN: KRISHANKO
Iraq was very clearly going to be Iraq's first target --Choleric_Llama
#265Maxx_the_SlashPosted 8/6/2012 11:11:53 PM
RussiaOne posted...
I think how white supremacists have gatherings and how blacks have theirs and democrats and republicans have their meetings gay gamers can have theirs, as well. Besides that, gay is the new straight. It's like everyone and their grandmothers wanna be queer nowadays. I say Go for it.

First of all, yes, those groups have their own gatherings, but a Gay Gamer convention is too specific. Gays and lesbians have Gay Pride Parades. They don't need a GAMING convention. If they want to celebrate being gay, they should go to a specialized bar or club, or organize a convention about nothing but being gay, or participate in a parade, but they want to hold a gaming convention that anyone can go to. Which we already have (E3, Penny Arcade Expo, etc.).

You don't see black people holding Black Gamer conventions, or Latin people holding Latino/Latina Gamer conventions.

Leave sexual orientation out of gaming, unless all sides are represented fairly, gay or straight.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984
#266RPGfreekPosted 8/6/2012 11:12:07 PM
dr_zomberg posted...
i for one im glad theyres gay bars and stuff, that way i dont have to be on high alert over some guy touching me whenever i do go to clubs.

and even then, gay MCD and ihop examples were completely stupid

Lol... gays usually don't bother with straight men. We might be attracted to them physically sometimes but we aren't drawn to them at all generally and gay men tend to take care of their looks better, be in better shape, and have more to talk about. That's why straight women are always pissed that "the good ones are always gay".
#267CronoDynePosted 8/6/2012 11:18:02 PM(edited)
Then how would a straight convention and regular convention differ?

Well maybe that Gaymercon promotes the segregation of individuals, proposing that gamers should isolate themselves into sub categories instead of coming together as one cohesive group of people with varying beliefs and lifestyles who share a pastime in common?

How could you change a regular gaming convention to be more slanted towards straight people?

Why would you? It's an all inclusive convention for all gamers.

If you can't really, then it seems to be that a straight convention and a regular convention are functionally the same since if you were forced to design a convention for straight gamers you'd get your typical gaming convention that you see today.

Now this is just an over exaggerated statement. How are regular conventions "straight" conventions? How do you come up with the conclusion that these are conventions catering straight people? Because.. they aren't. What, is it the fact there are more straight people than gay people? Yes, naturally using the simple logic of ratios, if there's generally more straight people in the world, there will generally be more straight people at all-inclusive conventions. That doesn't make them "straight" conventions.

In a gay one they could be more free with cosplay, less attached to gender roles, gay people could be more free to be openly gay without fear of rejection (no, this does not mean we would be hooking up, we just wouldn't supress that part of ourselves we do every day in public), and there could be gay themed booths. That's just off the top of my head.

As if they aren't free in a regular convention? There is absolutely no discrimination of the LGBT at videogame conventions. They're free to dress and act however they please. They're free to open any booth they want. They have the same freedom of expression as straight people. I just went to AX this year, as I've done many years prior. It's a convention dedicated to anime fans.. ALL anime fans. And guess what? It had a rich culture. Straight, gays, bisexuals, asexuals.. everyone coming together and enjoying anime. There were yaoi booths and yuri booths, just as there were hentai booths. There was areas dedicated to selling shoujo ai and shonen ai. It wasn't excluding gays. It wasn't excluding anyone.

And again, no one is checking your sexuality at the door at any gay event. In fact, they WANT people who are not gay to come.

And you seem to miss the point that it's a convention specifically catered to one specific group of people. Its entire point of existing is to promote one group. Of course anyone can come to it, but that doesn't change the fact it's an entire convention dedicated to gays, for gays, by gays.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#268RPGfreekPosted 8/6/2012 11:13:20 PM
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
RussiaOne posted...
I think how white supremacists have gatherings and how blacks have theirs and democrats and republicans have their meetings gay gamers can have theirs, as well. Besides that, gay is the new straight. It's like everyone and their grandmothers wanna be queer nowadays. I say Go for it.

First of all, yes, those groups have their own gatherings, but a Gay Gamer convention is too specific. Gays and lesbians have Gay Pride Parades. They don't need a GAMING convention. If they want to celebrate being gay, they should go to a specialized bar or club, or organize a convention about nothing but being gay, or participate in a parade, but they want to hold a gaming convention that anyone can go to. Which we already have (E3, Penny Arcade Expo, etc.).

You don't see black people holding Black Gamer conventions, or Latin people holding Latino/Latina Gamer conventions.

Leave sexual orientation out of gaming, unless all sides are represented fairly, gay or straight.

If there isn't enough interest then it won't happen, so you have nothing to worry about if what you said is true.
#269Phan_Boi_ChauPosted 8/6/2012 11:19:24 PM
Maxx_the_Slash posted...

1. And if they were, would you be against those too?

2. Do you think that all sides were represented fairly before this gay gamer convention? Or does this tip the scale and now gays are represented more than straights in video games?
---
Please read my post twice before responding. I can't be bothered to reply to someone who didn't read my post properly.
#270RelevenPosted 8/6/2012 11:20:56 PM
Yes. Because the only way to stop prejudice is to make more ways to separate yourselves off from the rest of the public!!

That's a great idea. What better way to say gay pride than hiding from the rest of the world in a convention center.

America just doesn't make sense. Everyone goes on and on about how bad being prejudice and racist is, and then they just divide themselves even further. If everyone was really "equal" in the general sense of the public, then why the hell do people still refer to themselves by their skin tones or sexual preferences?!

Today's lesson: If you really want equality, then shut up, be yourself, be a upright member of society and leave it at that. The only reason why prejudice still exists is because apparently no one seems to want it to go away. Skin tone and sexual preference is about as relevent to your social standing as your preference of chicken or beef. Dogs seem to have no problem with differences and generally don't seem to notice them. I swear people are really f ing dumb.
---
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/07/02/the-rise-of-costs-the-fall-of-gaming/