This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A Gay Gamer Convention is NOT Necessary (Gaymercon 2013)

#281Sevi_neyPosted 8/7/2012 12:33:54 AM
RPGfreek posted...

You have to be living under a rock to not know that they are purposely marketing to THAT demographic with these things. That's how marketing works.

Nobody is marketing toward the hetero demographic at gaming conventions. They are marketing toward gamers
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RinCIqjfIe8
(+.[___].+) a literal illustration of the Vita board ^
#282CronoDynePosted 8/7/2012 12:34:33 AM
1. You misread the first question.

You asked the difference between a regular convention and Gaymercon. I answered. You ignored the answer.

2. You missed the point. The point is that even if someone wanted to, they couldn't, because gamer conventions are already straight by nature because that's the the biggest demographic: heterosexual men. You have to be living under a rock to not know that they are purposely marketing to THAT demographic with these things. That's how marketing works.

You're continuing to over generalize gaming conventions. Just because there are more straight people than gay people in the world doesn't mean gaming conventions cater towards the straight people.

3. The example was in the hypothetical straight convention. It sounds ridiculous because it is since straight conventions already exist in the form of regular gaming conventions and you can't make it any more themed for straight men any more than that without turning it into a burlesque, and even then many would be offended. Oh and for the record, gay functions are almost always all inclusive the same way that non-gay functions generally are. The point is not to invite gay people only, but to make it gay themed.

It's painfully obvious now that you have a warped view on what a gaming convention is. You clearly never went to one. You believe they're catered solely to straight people; they aren't. You believe that gay people are discriminated against at regular video game conventions and treated like a joke; they aren't. You've created this faux convention in your mind and think it actually represents reality. I honestly don't see how anyone will change your mind, since you're living in this bubble with this forced mindset. Why not go to a regular convention? That way you'll be promoting inclusion, not exclusion.

4. If you want to be treated like a joke. Males in this setting in particular are very restricted in how they dress and act if they want to be broadly accepted. It's not about discrimination but about acceptance.

Read above. Again, you clearly have never gone to a video game convention. If you had, you'd realize this is an absurd statement.

5. No it's not...

Right. Gaymercon is not specifically catering to gay people.
---
Goodbye Chewy. You were the best friend I could ask for. Rest in peace, buddy.
#283SephirothtPosted 8/7/2012 12:37:41 AM
I think the major problem is, that there isn't one at all. Gaming has nothing to do with sexual preferences and it does nothing to exclude one group or the other.

So a "Gaymer"-focused convention is just splitting the gamers into groups that shouldn't matter when talking about gaming.

If they want to do this, fine go ahead. But I find it strange when they want to be treated equally and then actively separate themselves. Wouldn't it be more logical to just do something at other conventions if they really want something specific for "gaymers"?

This is just my view on this though. As I find the only way to have minorities be treated equally is to stop caring about them. Just like we don't specially care about someone who isn't one. Making things minority-friendly is one thing, but now it's just putting a spotlight on them.
---
Officially faved Ninetales on the B2 Board
A good reason for not getting any friends is that you can't miss them when they're gone. :P
#284Phan_Boi_ChauPosted 8/7/2012 12:40:38 AM
I've been to E3 and I can say that it was without a doubt skewed towards hetero males, as the vast majority of the video game industry's marketing is. Then again, this was a number of years ago, but from what I hear of the recent ones, it hasn't really changed much, if at all.
---
Please read my post twice before responding. I can't be bothered to reply to someone who didn't read my post properly.
#285Maxx_the_SlashPosted 8/7/2012 12:42:52 AM(edited)
Phan_Boi_Chau posted...
1. And if they were, would you be against those too?

2. Do you think that all sides were represented fairly before this gay gamer convention? Or does this tip the scale and now gays are represented more than straights in video games?

Answer 1: Yes, I would be agans't those too. Anyone of any race, creed, gender or sexual orientation can go to E3, Tokyo Game Show, PAX or any other gaming convention, and as long as they aren't "In Your Face" about it and keeping their political or social beliefs at the door, no one will have any problems. It's when a black person get's confrontational about race, or a gay guy just HAS to let everyone who doesn't care to know know that he likes guys, or hell, even a straight guy saying his way is the right way, that senseless violence happens. They need to keep that **** to themselves. Because I do not care. I DON'T CAAAAAARRRREEE. I don't give a damn if they like guys or girls. Knowing someone is gay or a lesbian doesn't get me through my day, it doesn't concern me, so I do not care to know about it. I have my own **** going on that I should be concerned with.

Do gays and lesbians need their own gaming convention? Hell no. They should go to ones that everyone else is invited to. No one needs gay and lesbian gamers trying to show off their sexual preference like the world needs to know. Straight people don't flaunt their sexual orientation in a gay person's face so that they'd be noticed.

Answer 2: Gays and lesbians are represented MORE than straight people in games? I think not. How can a minority group somehow have more people represented in media? If they're a minority in real life, they're a minority in gaming as a whole.

List for me all the gay characters in video gaming. Send me a Private Message with the list. And I'll counter with a list of my own of all the straight [implied] couples in gaming, and I promise you it'll be at the very least, 10 times longer. Mario and Princess Peach would be at the top of the list. Kratos and all of the chicks he's allowed to sleep with in God of War would be in the list too.
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 105/Sirius 206
XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash | 3DS: 3222-5637-7984
#286CronoDynePosted 8/7/2012 12:40:56 AM
How does Gaymercon "promote the segregation of individuals, proposing that gamers should isolate themselves into sub categories instead of coming together as one cohesive group of people with varying beliefs and lifestyles who share a pastime in common?" Can you provide a source or show me where you got this from, other than completely baseless assumptions?

http://gaymercon.org/

"GaymerCon is the first gaming and tech convention with a focus on LGBT geek culture"
"Gaymercon is about uniting gay gamers"
"Eucating and informing the gaming community of the presence of sexuality in our digital lives"
"Supporting an inclusive group spanning all orientations/ethnicities/gender/class/creed in the gaming community - collectively titled Gaymer"

Or also, you know, the simple common sense of a gay gamers convention specifically catering gay gamers. Do I need to teach you what "segregation" means too?

Or do other gaming conventions promote the segregation of individuals, proposing that fans of interactive media should isolate themselves into sub categories instead of coming together as one cohesive group of people with varying beliefs and lifestyles who share a pastime in common?

Well, considering other gaming conventions are designed at gamers of all kinds, yeah, I'd say other gaming conventions are rather inclusive.
---
#287CronoDynePosted 8/7/2012 12:43:10 AM
I've been to E3 and I can say that it was without a doubt skewed towards hetero males, as the vast majority of the video game industry's marketing is.

How so? Is it the content available? Like.. games? Are claiming something like promoting God of War for instance is skewed towards hetero males? Isn't that discriminatory to gay people, assuming they can't enjoy something like God of War?
---
#288TheCyborgNinjaPosted 8/7/2012 12:43:18 AM
At the end of the day, the more people try to make "gayness" stand out, the more they encourage the perception that they're different from everyone else, and the slower acceptance will occur. It's almost like a case of small-man syndrome half the time. You're gay, that's fine, who cares? All of this stuff makes me feel embarrassed for the normal gay dudes who are just trying to live their lives in peace.

The best way to fight prejudice is by assimilating yourself, thus proving that you're no different than the next person. By having segregated events and parades with almost-nude people it's actually setting back what they're trying to accomplish.

It's human nature to judge others. It's a survival mechanism that has been around since the get-go. There's no problem being yourself, but shoving yourself in somebody's face and advertising how different you are is going to cause more harm than good.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#289Sevi_neyPosted 8/7/2012 12:43:55 AM
Your quote suits you, Phan_Boi_Chau

8S
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RinCIqjfIe8
(+.[___].+) a literal illustration of the Vita board ^
#290Phan_Boi_ChauPosted 8/7/2012 12:47:12 AM
Sephirotht posted...
I think the major problem is, that there isn't one at all. Gaming has nothing to do with sexual preferences and it does nothing to exclude one group or the other.

So a "Gaymer"-focused convention is just splitting the gamers into groups that shouldn't matter when talking about gaming.

If they want to do this, fine go ahead. But I find it strange when they want to be treated equally and then actively separate themselves. Wouldn't it be more logical to just do something at other conventions if they really want something specific for "gaymers"?

This is just my view on this though. As I find the only way to have minorities be treated equally is to stop caring about them. Just like we don't specially care about someone who isn't one. Making things minority-friendly is one thing, but now it's just putting a spotlight on them.

So if we ignore the fact that LGBT people have different rights and privileges, then there will be more of them represented in mainstream media? Then they will be able to marry each other or adopt children? Then they will have legislation passed that includes them in hate crimes?

I can only speak as an American, but blacks were only given rights after a grueling civil rights movement that demanded attention. Gay rights has shown similar results from highlighting their situation and disseminating it to the mainstream.
---
Please read my post twice before responding. I can't be bothered to reply to someone who didn't read my post properly.